WTF- my deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF- my deal

so some of you probably saw my GI thread, couple of you have pm'd me and a bunch are asking wtf happened lol.

I guess I kinda over drama-fied it, my car- the frame of my car is getting old. The jack up points close to the font of the car are bending inwards, the rear frame rails where the LCA's connect are doing the same. I have quite a bit of rust on the firewall, and some bad rust that I think goes right through when I look at the metal fender through the door on the driver side.

Ive been thinking about how to go about fixing it, thinking that I can add some subframe connectors and strengthen the car but not too sure this would do the trick or just be a band aide fix

Then Ive been going over the body, I got keyed about 2 years ago now, or last year was it?...anyways, I was able to fix 3/4's of it pretty damn near perfect, but some of it still remains...the front bumper is peeling paint away from when it got "tapped" by a truck and the paint job ended up being ****ty. Same goes for the spoiler...overall, the car needs a paint job, which here, costs about 5gs for a good one. The car looks great from about 5-10 feet away, but up close it is filled with chips/scratches and peeling paint

^^so all this has been on my mind recently- then for ****s and giggles I decided to look at some Camaro's on our Canadian version of Craigslist, I found a fairly clean LS1 car for pretty cheap- the body needs some work, but it is minor in comparison, and the frame is in much better condition.

It's a bone stock virgin car and I have been fighting myself about whether or not I should pick it up and part ways with mine due to Im thinking the frame is done not much longer down the road. Just when I had thought I had convinced myself to stay with the v6, I told myself I'd go take a look at another car, about 30 mins away, just to prove to myself that the v6 really is the way to go (and I needed some driving time to think)

long story short, just as I pulled into the dealership to meet the guy, I snapped my PA racing Lower A arm in half (will have pictures up shortly)

I'm looking at a 3 week downtime on the car to get it fixed and up and running again atleast, at the end of it, it still needs all the work outlined above. so here I am again, fighting myself as to which car to choose and I am leaning towards the LS1 and parting my car.

I hate myself for even thinking about it, Im more than emotionally attached to my car and I have built it to everything Ive ever wanted- the problem is, and what I am realizing, is that dream can't last forever and it is coming to an end, whether it is now, or a few more years from now...

Im supposed to go back and look at the original car I went to see tomorrow, I have the cash in hand, just fighting to not pull the trigger. To be honest, I don't know what to really do at this point.
    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 07-23-2013, 11:09 PM.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: WTF- my deal

come to the v8 dark side mike. you cant fight us off forever lol.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
    Or this

Comment

Save the V6 for racing and use the LS1 as a beater

Comment

Mike when I had my 94TA I was emotionally attached to it.

I had that car for over 13yrs and had done a lot of mods to it.

I had an opportunity to sell it for a good price and get an LS1 and I didn't and it was the worst mistake in my life.

I did H/C to make it as fast or faster than an LS but wound up blowing it up.

I put it back to stock and basically got back what it cost to fix it($3,000) 1,300 for the engine and 1,600 for the tranny.

Part it out and don't look back and learn from your mistakes on this car to get it right with the LS.

JMHO

Comment

As for paint looks that's exactly what mine is just like yours.

Any ways I also had to think about it. I took in consideration about the cost and what can I make more power with in the end. Over the long run the ls1 would make more power than the v6. I took me a whole week to say fine I'm going ls1. My friends were like about time!!! But hey I looked at it in the long run ,more power for just a bit more money.

As for your camaro you can repair it but it will cost quite a bit of $$$$ . You can get the unibody straight and patched up for the right amount of money I belive.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I had a somewhat similar situation.. A buddy of mine has a '95 z28 with a 383, and was about to buy a '98 SS for a 403 turbo build. I got the itch and decide I was going to buy a Trans Am and do a 421 build with it to replace my v6 'bird. Well I went out and bought a '00 T/A, bought a 6.0 LQ4 and a tubular K for it. And then decided that the SLP GT v6 has more sentimental value to me and I abandoned the T/A build. Sold the K, sold the 6.0, and the T/A still sits in the driveway waiting for me to put it back together so I can sell it. I actually drove it for about 2 months while I was doing the head/cam swap on the v6 this spring and that didn't even change my mind. Don't get me wrong, I loved the LS1/t56 combo, but I had invested so much time and money to build the v6 into what I wanted that it outweighed the option to go with the v8.

BUT, my car is in nowhere near the shape you described yours being in... Maybe think about a roller or another v6 to swap your setup into? I know it won't be the same car, but it would still be your motor and hard work.
            aka FreedStyle
            Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
            2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

My cars paint is peeling really bad. But I still love the darn car. It can still put a smile in my face. Then after boosting it and beating a few v8s I've learned to love the car more. The motor is all stock so I know there's plenty of potential out of it. It's still great to tell people with trans ams and z28s that's its just a 6 :P

Comment

so I picked up the new camaro last night...2002 Z28 SOM A4 coupe...only 284 made. I grabbed it for $3500 with 83,000 miles on it (133,000km)...which is extremely low in price for the condition and all for around here. So I couldn't walk away from that deal unfortunatly, and the fact that my car is busted right now, well made it look that much juicyer

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
                  come to the v8 dark side mike. you cant fight us off forever lol.
                  So true... ^^^

Mike, as far as the emotional attachment to the car, you will get over it real quick when you get your new ride. I thought I was going to regret it forever. that lasted all of a few days. Since I got my GTO I've never regretted the decision once. Cars com and go, its just the way things work.
                  Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
                  Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
                  Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
                  Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
                  Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                    so I picked up the new camaro last night...2002 Z28 SOM A4 coupe...only 284 made. I grabbed it for $3500 with 83,000 miles on it (133,000km)...which is extremely low in price for the condition and all for around here. So I couldn't walk away from that deal unfortunatly, and the fact that my car is busted right now, well made it look that much juicyer
                    how the hell are you going to tell us about the car and not post a pic man? :twak:

lets see it! i passed on a 02 SOM ss a couple years ago and on a buddies 02 SOM z28 a few months back. i hate myself for it. for whatever reason i feel like i know damn near every owner of a SOM fbody that was built lol.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                    Or this

Comment

What a great deal Mike,your going to love it:)

Comment

Hahaha I know Im breaking the cardinal sin of not posting a pic, but I only have some really dark photos on my phone from that night. Ive also been on my phone where I cant upload a photo since I have been so busy at work.

Couple that with the car went directly to the shop to be safetied, i wont be able to get a picture up until saturday.

And Tom, it was a solid deal- mechanic called me yesterday and said NOTHING is needed for safety.

The rear main is leaking so I am going to buy a nice stall converter and kill two birds with one stone.

I'm also swapping the ford 8.8 in, but will replace the 4.10 gears with 3.73's

Comment

How does everyone find amazing deals like this but I can't. Every camaro/TA around here with an LS1 is priced over $7k...
                          Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

There's a 98 trans am 6 speed for $4500

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                              How does everyone find amazing deals like this but I can't. Every camaro/TA around here with an LS1 is priced over $7k...
                              Same here

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X