Car fell on my chest (not my Birds)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car fell on my chest (not my Birds)

I usually do maintenance for aunt's house and her cars since my freaking uncle decided to leave her for another woman that's younger than me.

Anyway, she asked me if I could do an oil change on her 2011 Camry and I said yes. Went over there and I found that her son in-law took the heavy duty jack, chalks, and floor jacks. So I have no choice but to use the flimsy jack that came with the car.

As I was finishing and tightening the oil screw I suddenly noticed that the car was moving backwards and I quickly looked at the jack and noticed it was starting to tilt. I tried to hold the car from going backwards but it was too late.

I turned my head to side and the front end of the car landed hard on my chest and squeezed the air out of me. I'm just glad nothing landed on my head.

It's a good thing I can bench over 300lbs because that came in handy in getting myself out. Good thing too, because nobody was home.

If that was my Firebirds I would've been done for. :omg:

Re: Car fell on my chest (not my Birds)

wow...that was too close of a call, I'm glad you're ok. I do most of my works at my parents house in my dads garage, and one thing he always made sure I did was find something to support the car just in case. We have several short/wide logs that we use in place of jack stands and I always find something to chaulk the wheels with, whether it be a 2x4 or a brick or even another tool like a mallet. Point is, you can always find something to use for safety measures... I'm glad you're ok and survived without injury, but don't try and cheat death next time, find something, anything to use to stop the car from rolling and support its weight.
    aka FreedStyle
    Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
    2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

:twak: never get under a car only supported by a jack..you're lucky to be alive

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

This almost happened to me when I was working on that bearing I replaced. On my firebird. I use the jack that cost about 50 it was a duralast one the problem was that I put it on unstable ground. As I was jacking it up the jack tilted and then I quickly rolled as fast as I could and I'm a big dude I wheigh 270 . And the space from the car to the wall was about 2 feet wide. Next thing I hear is my car slam down and it went away from me instead of towards me. I got so scared tho no lie

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Scary. Glad you are ok.

Never go under a car without using jack stands. All types of jacks fail, even good quality floor jacks.

Comment

knew a guy who told me a story of him working on a lowered Honda and was using a high lift jack to jack it up,and someone was leaning against the car and it feel on his chest and he black out under it and had some broke ribs.

and i also had my stock camaro jack give out on me one day wile i was changeing the tire,it just striped out and fell straight down.

Comment

Def. lucky I hope you won't be trying that again.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Man you're lucky to be alive. I def wouldn't of done it with that flimsy *** jack that comes with the car. Life lesson.

Comment

man youre lucky bro.

stuff like that is why i take extra steps anytime im under the car, people think im nuts for it but i use 2 jack stands on each side of the car for whatever side im on. one in the groove and the second one a bit further down to catch the car just in case something happens and i need to get out quick. the way i look at it is that the 2nd one could be the difference between me getting crushed or getting out and living and just being pissed about a spot under the car thats bent to ****. ill take that any day.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                  http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                  Or this

Comment

I'll say I was indeed very lucky. I should've trusted my instinct on that one, but didn't much of it since it was a simple oil change.

Never again will I be that careless.

Comment

Damn, man that's some scary stuff...

Can't be too careful when under a car... I mean who wants to say they were killed by a Toyota! At least make it a nice car!
                      In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
                      2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Originally posted by 1997Canadian3.8 View Post
                        I mean who wants to say they were killed by a Toyota! At least make it a nice car!

LOL...yeah, I don't want to be another statistic for Toyota.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
                          I'll say I was indeed very lucky. I should've trusted my instinct on that one, but didn't much of it since it was a simple oil change.

Never again will I be that careless.
                          Only takes one time to be your last

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X