88 ford festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 ford festiva

I know its a camaro forum hence being in the lounge area (just notice the other rides forum - if this fits better there feel free to move it). I've learned most of what I know about cars because of owning a v6 camaro.

My brother purchased an 88 ford festiva last year. The thing is older than he is. He needed something cheap after he broke the trans in his eclipse. So one day the thing doesn't start. New ignition system nothing. So they (my brother and his car savy friend) think the timing belt may have snapped and see the bolt holding the sprocket to the camshaft has sheered off. So they go to put a new bolt on and notice there is a pin missing that goes into the sprocket that keeps it timed to the camshaft. So they drill out the hole and replace with a beefier pin. Car runs for a few minutes and snaps the pin again (not the bolt tho). So they ordered a new camshaft with the built in pressed pin. My question is - is there a possibility that other valvetrain troubles that are causing excessive camshaft loading causing this breaking or is it likely that a new cam will hold up to whatever is causing things to break? I think he needs to pull the valve cover and have a look at whats going on.

I think I've answered my own question but curious as to what others think.
    Last edited by MegaHertz; 03-27-2013, 07:57 PM.
    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Re: 88 ford festiva

Sell the car for scrap.LOL
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

make sure the crank & cam are timed correctly, esp if the cam pin kee shearing. for more bang for the buck on the festiva (had a 92 back in the day) you could always do the trucktiva conversion

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/505302/1991-ford-festiva/
      1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
      2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
      94 comero 3.4

Comment

My 68 yo. co-worker has a 90 Festiva. She loves that car to death and it still looks like it came out of the dealership. I guess it's a gift from her son who past away the reason why she loves it so much.

Comment

leave it to nate to know the inner workings of a goddamn festiva

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
          Or this

Comment

don't be hatin because you didn't think of it. I was thinking or choping the top off the one I had, but it seems that it does in texas.......
            1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
            2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
            94 comero 3.4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X