Missing summer already!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing summer already!

Snow tires on my Camaro stink.... I love T-tops down and my summer tires. At least I have something to look forward to.

Anyone else have there snow tires on for the season?

Living in Miami Florida I have forgotten all about winter.

Although I did live in NY for 33 years.

Comment

Re: Missing summer already!

It was 86* in my neck of the wood, but I haven't driven my birds for couple of weeks now. :(

Comment

Originally posted by KJZ28 View Post
        Snow tires on my Camaro stink.... I love T-tops down and my summer tires. At least I have something to look forward to.

Anyone else have there snow tires on for the season?

What are snow tires? :D

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
          What are snow tires? :D

This. DD the Camaro in Colorado with no snows...

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
            This. DD the Camaro in Colorado with no snows...
            that's just beyond retarded...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
              lol.. Not really. It really only snows enough where it's a challenge 3-4 times a year, and I've got a Dakota for those

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                knowing what you car can do and can not do is what separates the retards from the experienced. i have yet to put snow tires on any vehicles that ive owned.

87 Firebird RIP
                96 Camaro RS RIP
                94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
                02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

snow tires/winter tires (they are different, and you should always have atleast winter tires on your car come winter) are a night and day differance from all season tires. The rubber in the tires is different. They actually stay soft as opposed to going hard when the cold weather hits. They allow you to maintain more control of your car in the cold (stop faster and reduce the chance of over/under steer happening in turns)

I would not hesitate to put winters on an awd and 4wd vehicle because those vehicles are awd/4wd "stopping" vehicles.

When I used to drive my car in the winter, I could compare it to my dads 2004 camry, my moms old mercury sable, her 2007 Lexus IS350 she bought to replace it, AND now her new 2012 Lexus RX300 or 330 whatever it is...when all of those had all season tires and compared to my camaro that had winters on it...it was stupid how much of a difference you can tell.

it was probably about as big of a difference as going to the track with street tires as opposed to arriving on slicks.

People who know their car versus those that don't know the limits of their car either just help make the situation that much worse, or a tad better. You're still limited by your tires...the only thing between your vehicle and the road.

Comment

thanks for explaining the obvious. Going to the track and launching at 4k with street tires your going to blow the tires off. Thats when knowing what your car can do comes into play but i guess you dont realize that.

87 Firebird RIP
                    96 Camaro RS RIP
                    02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

you're not getting it. You can take the best driver in the world and put it in a car, then take a mediocre driver and put him in a top notch car, and the mediocre car will win the race...why? better equipment....snow/winter tires = the better equipment

Comment

Who the **** is racing in the snow dumb ***? Maybe you don't get it. You drive your car to the best of it capabilities with the equipment it has. Snow tires do not make you a good driver. Apparently you think it makes you safer by having them. Maybe you are exactly like all the SUV drivers who think because they have 4wd and more clearance than a car that they can drive like complete ******* and think they will never get stuck and immune to all the bad conditions on the road.

87 Firebird RIP
                        96 Camaro RS RIP
                        02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

This thread cracks me up...

FWIW, I've never bought snow tires. For the 2-3 days where driving is snow/ice hazardous all day, I stay home. I've never had a problem clearing that with my employer ahead of time; I figure its worse for them if I'm out of the office for several days dealing with an accident/injury, than just taking a sick day those 2-3 days.
                          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/sac2165\" target=\"_blank\"> CAMAROS</a>

Comment

Originally posted by SilverRS96 View Post
                            Who the **** is racing in the snow dumb ***? Maybe you don't get it. You drive your car to the best of it capabilities with the equipment it has. Snow tires do not make you a good driver. Apparently you think it makes you safer by having them. Maybe you are exactly like all the SUV drivers who think because they have 4wd and more clearance than a car that they can drive like complete ******* and think they will never get stuck and immune to all the bad conditions on the road.
                            you're completely missing the point...no one races in the snow unless you were dropped on your head as a kid...You DONT just get winter tires for the SNOW...they are a better tire and DO keep you and everyone else around you safer in the COLD. If you think that you can drive more aggressive because you have snow tires, you're an idiot. By your logic it is safe to drive around on bald decaying tires so long as you realize that they are bald and decaying and know your car. OR what I am saying, you can know your car and drive around on PROPER tires. There is no such thing as an "all season tire"

It's dumb not to have winter tires, period. How can you argue that using your brain, plus the enhancement of safer tires is not better than just knowing your car. Frankly, if you dont know your car, you shouldn't be on the road to begin with. That should be common sense that everyone with a license possess's.

*FACT: All season tire rubber gets harder at temperatures well before Winter tires.
                            What does this mean? Your tires essentially become hockey pucks. What happens when they become hockey pucks? Less traction, poorer braking performance, more chance for over/under steer.

*FACT: Compensating for the above by knowing your vehicle does NOT enhance the performance of your vehicle

*FACT: Knowing you're vehicle DOES help you be a good driver
                            However, good driver + ****ty equipment = the same as being a ****ty driver
                            * FACT: Winter tires have a more aggressive/deeper tread in the tires allowing for the displacement of snow....your all seasons are geared towards displacing water. Take a brand new winter tire and a brand new summer tire and put them side by side and inspect the tread...BIG difference.

* FACT: Snow tires and Winter tires are two entirely different things...LEARN the difference...you don't need snow tires unless you live in the extreme North where you get a **** ton of snow and probably already have chains

* FACT: Only tires with the mountain and snowflake inside are "real" winter tires. Check your tires before you buy them!

* Winning FACT: You're tires, in any weather, ANY condition, Stop you MORE SO than your brakes. Why are you cheaping out on the key ingredient to you stopping? Summer or Winter tires alike...WHY? The general public has a hard time understanding having an edge in performance...people on a performance forum not understanding a performance edge makes me want to put my head through a wall.

Last Fact: It does not cost you more money to own a set of winter tires...Yes, you need to buy 4 new tires, BUT yes, because you only have your summers on during summer...guess what? They last twice as long. Tires that you would otherwise replace in 3 years are now replaced in 6
                            Last edited by LETZRIDE; 11-26-2012, 11:41 PM.

Comment

So... arguing while saying the same thing eh? Always fun. Yes, snows/winters help in the colder temperatures and less than perfect weather, for many reasons, but not everyone thinks they're necessary. Leave it at that and quit thread jacking this dude.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X