Finally let me down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally let me down

It finally happened. My car died and i was stranded. Coming home from a hike my car died about 40 miles short of my destination (glad it didn't happen in the mountains with no signal). As I got on the highway I noticed my blinker blinking really slow. The battery was reading very low (just getting into the orange). I pulled over on the onramp and checked major cables, the belt was intact and spinning so I turned off all electric I could and headed home (still daylight - forgot the cruise uses juice tho). Made it 70 miles before the battery was drained and it didn't have the juice to even accelerate. Called my sister who came about an hour later and we jump charged it for 15 minutes or so on the offramp. Enough to start but died 2 exits later. Was lucky to get to the exit as I literally coasted to the shoulder. Took the battery out and left it with a disabled note on the dash. Charged the battery overnight and drove it back home the next morning (last 35 miles). Took the alternator off sunday and had it checked today - it failed. New alternator brings the volt meter right back up so it seems to have done the trick. Still haven't had to have it towed but a ding on my ego. I had noticed low voltages recently and didn't check it out further - last time I do that. Also blew a speaker - time to revamp the audio (rear has not worked for a while - sub or pillars)
    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Re: Finally let me down

That sucks at least it was an easy fix.

My V6 quit on me at the top of the Peace Bridge yesterday on my way to the Buffalo Bills/KC Chiefs game.

It just shut off with no power to the key not even a click at least traffic was stopped temporarily.

I got out popped the hood and shook the positive cable around a bit and she cranked right over,I had no problems since then.

Its the 3rd time this has happened since July,but the first time it happened in traffic.

The other times I had returned to the car in a parking lot.

I cleaned all the grounds and the battery terminals and the volt meter reads good on the Alt output and the battery is 12.6v.

My security light has been on for the last 3 years could it finally be causing me grief?

Comment

^^^ You' re issue is probably VATS related.

Mine went through some weird issues a while back, ranging from irregular shutoffs, hard starts, a strange rpm-based electrical whine that would randomly come and go, and one occasion where it lost all power while going 45mph down the main road. Turned out to be a leaky battery. Got a new one replaced under warranty and it was good as new again.
      '99 Camaro
      '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
      '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

I know how you feel. I've changed my alternator before in a busy freeway. My battery was dying and I knew my alt was bad. Called my bro. and asked him to go to autozone (he had to drive to another store though) and buy an alternator. An hour later he came by. Replaced the alt and jumped the car. And off I went.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
          Little work today
          by ssms5411
          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
          2 weeks ago
        • LETZRIDE
          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X