V6 to V-8 trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 to V-8 trade

So does anyone see this being a viable situation? Id not, what would make it viable.

My 00 firebird with cam, all supporting mods, y87, tune, wideband, the whole deal, 118k miles for someone elses 99+ V-8 f body?

Would you guys see anyone doing that on say, Craigslist? And would that be beneficial to me? Hp wise or what not?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless smartphone.

Re: V6 to V-8 trade

I dont see anyone doing that with a LS1 car. If you had a power adder then maybe but with just a cam only I would guess your in the 240rwhp range at best and a stock 99 LS1 will dyno in between 290-310 rwhp.

It would be good for you HP wise but you will be starting with a High mile LS1 with 13 yrs of Unknown history behind it.

The only way is if someone wanted to get out from higher insurance on a V8 but still wanted a F-body.
    Jeff ..
    1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
    2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
    1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
    http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

Not a chance...
      Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
      Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
      Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
      Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
      Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

i have found a few v8 98-02 camaros for like 3500 to 4000 and yes they run

Comment

I was just looking @ a 99 T/A up here in NJ that the guy is asking 3500 obo. It needs a front bumper, and a few other things but damn thats cheap for LS1 powered car..
          Jeff ..
          1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
          2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
          1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
          http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

took me like 5 min and there all under 5k

http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/3106240454.html
            http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/3102040169.html
            http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/3154081795.html
            http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/3081697680.html
            Last edited by 3.8lcoty; 07-27-2012, 10:01 AM.

Comment

So the consensus issell mine and gather up money for the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by mousemonster1232 View Post
                So the consensus issell mine and gather up money for the difference?

Thats the easiest way to do it.

Comment

Its honestly not worth it unless you really need that V8 sound.

Comment

Originally posted by VF1Skullangel View Post
                    I am not sure what you mean?

I love my V6 Bird but for raw brute power and fun my LS1 TA wins easily.

Comment

Yeah. There is more to it than just sound. :P

Comment

If you get a 02' I can tune it with Hptuners. Already have it installed.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by VF1Skullangel View Post
                          I'll be honest here. I've owned both cars and have respect for both of them...however; there is a dramatic difference between the two...almost completely different cars.

The V6 is a fun car, especially with the Y87 package and I'm sure a cam and other mods help it out some too, reliably N/A for STREETABLE power you can get to LT1 territory but anything beyond that is ganna require boost or spray.

I had a 97 Camaro V6 with the Y87 package and honestly my car was louder stock than most stock LS1's. My car also felt like it would pull on an LS1 off the line as when I first got my 01 Z28 it didnt feel much different from a dead stop than my V6 did, but when you got to the highway that changes and there's a night and day difference. The LS1 is just getting warmed up where our powerband dies up top and even a cammed V6 wouldnt have much hope on pulling an LS1 on the top end. From a dig I could see it but on the top end, its not happening.

On top of that, you might be surprised to find that under the right conditions LS1's will pull better fuel mileage numbers than a V6 ... I have been able to pull 30 MPG with the cruise set at 80 MPH on my Z28... here's other proof aswell ... http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/f-bo...ements-587898/ ...
                          I dont mean to bash the V6 but stock for stock there's no question that hands down an LS1 is a superior car, even with mods it would be very difficult for a V6 to match an LS1 unless you turbo, but then we cant forget that the potential of LS1's only require Full Intake and Exhaust and a tune and you're knocking on the door of 400 HP which once again poses threat to even most F.I. V6 cars.
                          1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Yesh. That is a very informative post. Haha. I think my next car will be a V-8 or a truck like an Excursion. Haha.

Comment

Smss, there are a couple 97-99 ws6s around the valley. The only 01 I see is like 10k$ haha.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X