$8k-$12,000 budget - To repair and build? or just move on? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$8k-$12,000 budget - To repair and build? or just move on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: $8k-$12,000 budget - To repair and build? or just move on?

Flamingchicken put it best and I agree. Buy a wrecked donor car take what you want/ need and part out the rest. I still have my first car as well, and I don't think your crazy at all. I'm in the process of the same thing. I blew the trans almost 2 years ago, she's been sitting in my shop since it happened, I just got the trans completely rebuilt and am in the process of building a motor, little by little. I have no plans of parting ways with her either. I say keep your bird and bring her back to life.
    3M MAFIA
    ________
    | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
    Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
    sigpic

Comment

Meh. It all comes down to how emotionally attached you are I guess. My Camaro was my first car, that I personally saved for from age ten to 15 when I bought. I put over 18 grand into it over the 6 years I had it, ending with an extremely nice and beautiful Camaro, and sold it last December. Horrible investment? Absolutely. But, I did enjoy it while it lasted. All that said, I haven't regretted selling it even one second. I had it sitting around as a second car for 18 months, and every time I drove it, I missed the luxury and power of my DD. In the last 2 years I had it, I didn't even want to put the money into an oil change for it. But that's me.
      sigpic
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
      1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

down payment on the following then:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...a/1410027.html

or

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...m/1382826.html

;)
        1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
        94 comero 3.4

Comment

imo if you have saved up the money for a long time and have the money to blow why not make your first car into what you have been dreaming to do to ,when you think about it for 12,000 thats not that much into a car i know that our cars are only like 3500 but 12,000 realy isnt alot into a new car but 12,000 in upgrades would turn your first car into the car you always wonted

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4 slow to go View Post
            Hahaha! I like your style.
            ____

I guess the next best thing to ask Ya'll is.. How would you spend the money? What would you start with?

Lots of people have reminded me of getting a wrecked ls1 firebird/trans am for most donor parts and I will be doing that.

But how about all the little goodies? What brands would ya'll go with? I know I have my preferences but I'd still like to hear what you would do. What would you do if you finally said eff it and decided to go with it?

So $2-3000 for the donor car, and $7500 in parts. What parts would ya go with? Where would you focus that money in? Go fast parts, suspension, fit and finish? Maybe toss a bit into the stereo?
            Last edited by Finkledbody; 07-21-2012, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I sold my V6 car back in 05 and got my WS6.. I still miss my V6 car. There was something about have a 370rwhp V6 firebird.. My T/A makes 480rwhp now but my V6 was more impressive to me. I have picked up a G8 GT and a C5 as well but still think about my old V6 alot and continue to tell stories of all the kills I had in it and all the N20 Backfires and what not. I dumped tons of money into my V6 to make it pretty fast for what it was. Was it the smartest thing to do? No but when I was 22 yrs old it seemed like it was. If I could go back I would not have sold the car and got a beater for daily driving.. I can tell you after building that V6 it gave me a great appreciation for all kinds of cars no matter what motor it has. If I started out with a WS6 then I dont think I would have that attitude like I have since I built up my 3.8.

You are right. It is rare to see a firebird now. Even rarer to see a 11 second firebird. But its even rarest to see a 11 second V6 firebird!! If I were you and wanted to drop 8-12k into my car I would just build the V6 for 11's. You already have a LS1 z28 why not make your V6 firebird faster then your LS1 car?
              Jeff ..
              1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
              2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
              1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
              http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

From my point of view I would just keep the six...my dad keeps telling me to get a trans am, but I refuse to get rid of my first car. Plus insurance would kill me as I am 19... so I decided to turbo my car. If I ever pop the engine there's a bunch of 3800 engines at my local pick and pull that can be easily obtained cheap. I have yet to see an ls1 at the junk yard

Comment

well my opinion would be to bebuild your current engine cam and what not, supercharge or turbo and all the things you need to go with your choice,stereo,roll cage race seats 5 point harness,t56 swap,full exaust maybe true duel,and the rest upgrade suspension

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                    Hello everyone!
                    by Andy H
                    Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                    4 weeks ago
                  • 3.4 slow to go
                    hey there strangers!
                    by 3.4 slow to go
                    been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                    4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X