Freightliner Revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freightliner Revolution

The Freightliner Revolution, which is our new innovation truck, was in my building's lobby today. I thought I'd share some pictures I snapped on my break.

This is the main access door, which on this truck is remote activated. There is still a driver door, but instead of a passenger door there is a cargo hold, and in place of the passenger seat is a small table and seat for meals or whatever.

Instead of huge truck mirrors, this truck uses wide angle cameras with little LCD screens just inside each pillar for optimal viewing and aerodynamics. You can see the screen through the window.

sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Re: Freightliner Revolution

Check out the massive tires in place of the standard dually. And the new aluminum frame, making the truck notably lighter.

And of course, new LED full-length tail lights!

It's loaded with new technology, and the new styling, in addition to making it stand out, makes for dramatically improved aerodynamics.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

a lot better than the freight liners i drive lol.

87 Firebird RIP
      96 Camaro RS RIP
      94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
      02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Pretty cool, although it seems like 2 screens in the cab staring you in the face instead of mirrors would be a killer during nighttime driving. Maybe its just me but I hate in-cab light, albeit I'm not a trucker. :p

Comment

Looks nice. Wheels look kinda weird.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
            Looks nice. Wheels look kinda weird.
            They look like an Aero hub cap.

Pretty cool,the fuel economy must be up by at least 10-15%.

Comment

Thumbs down on the super single tires. We've had them on dollies here, and sure they make moving them around a ton easier, but when they blow you're kinda screwed. What else does it have? We own a lot of cascadias here, so I'm curious besides the camera mirrors, aerodynamics, and the sweet LED tail lights, what improvements have been made?

Just noticed there's no exhaust stacks on it either. I need answers! My dad just explained the missing exhaust stacks. Does it have that fuel additive tank for emissions then?
              Last edited by Blizzard242; 04-24-2012, 12:13 PM.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                Thumbs down on the super single tires. We've had them on dollies here, and sure they make moving them around a ton easier, but when they blow you're kinda screwed. What else does it have? We own a lot of cascadias here, so I'm curious besides the camera mirrors, aerodynamics, and the sweet LED tail lights, what improvements have been made?

Just noticed there's no exhaust stacks on it either. I need answers! My dad just explained the missing exhaust stacks. Does it have that fuel additive tank for emissions then?
                A big new feature is the truck OS which is basically a nav/web unit with real-time data from gauges that aren't on the analog cluster. It is also the first "crossover cab" which is a mix of a day cab and a sleeper.

This one uses the standard frame mounted exhaust system with the turn-down tip. And yes, it uses urea, as do all of the full size trucks we are putting out do. The emissions changes required that. I believe International was the only big truck company that tried to avoid the urea and still meet the new regulations. They shot themselves in the foot though as it took a lot of extra R&D and decreased fuel economy and power.

Here is a sort of video overview if you're interested. Has some interior shots as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETPyk9MhrqU
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Nice video.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

That fifth wheel looks super far forward on your model. I'm curious though.. On all of our trucks and almost every one of our customers have us fab up some ramps to make it much easier hooking up to a trailer. It's welded on towards the back kinda as an extension of the incline that goes in front of the pintle hook. Do you know why that's not a standard factory piece? Btw, where's the pintle hook?

These trucks look designed almost strictly for 45 and 53 footers. Those tail lights wouldn't last very long, as I've seen mudflap brackets mounted in an even lower and forward position get destroyed by dolly legs on a trailer as soon as they take a turn.

I'm asking all these engineering questions and I don't even know what you do for the company. What do you do?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                      That fifth wheel looks super far forward on your model. I'm curious though.. On all of our trucks and almost every one of our customers have us fab up some ramps to make it much easier hooking up to a trailer. It's welded on towards the back kinda as an extension of the incline that goes in front of the pintle hook. Do you know why that's not a standard factory piece? Btw, where's the pintle hook?

These trucks look designed almost strictly for 45 and 53 footers. Those tail lights wouldn't last very long, as I've seen mudflap brackets mounted in an even lower and forward position get destroyed by dolly legs on a trailer as soon as they take a turn.

I'm asking all these engineering questions and I don't even know what you do for the company. What do you do?
                      We do have sliding adjustable receivers, although this obviously doesn't have one. It's likely an option though. There are a ton of options, particularly on the Western Star trucks. As for the frame extensions, I know they are available as an option as I've seen them on some of the 3d models of the trucks on their way to production, but as to why they are not standard equipment, I'm not sure.

I'm on night maintenance. ha. No, I just started about a month ago in engineering order processing. I'm an engineer, but not on the design side at this point. I've been working mostly in 3D modelling software, doing assembly drawings and checking over trucks that are in the last stages of clearing for manufacturing. I'm no expert at this point, but I do have access to a lot of information.
                      sigpic
                      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

So you know Joe Dirt? Haha. That's pretty cool, the fam business owns like 18 trucks and I believe at least 15 of them are freightliners. We always get a detroit motor for them too which has turned out to be very stout. Unlike other contractors volvo's that are always in the shop and a pita to work on..

TEAM C6V6

Comment

What motor is in that beast? I'm partial to Cat C13's.
                          1995 Patriot Red T-Topped Z28 A4<br /><br />Mystery rebuild in progress.<br /><br />Soon to have 383 ways to beat KBreezy and Shane. :D

Comment

Yeah, you can definitely tell these trucks are built to last and have ease of maintenance built in. I constantly hear the group next to me talking about reorganizing and redesigning to be the easiest possible to work on.

This one has the Detroit DD13. We also have the DD15 and DD16, as well as Cummins ISX15 available for this size truck. IIRC the DD13 in this one is rated at 450hp/1650lb-ft. You can have up to 600hp/2050lb-ft of torque out of the DD16 or Cummins ISX15.
                            sigpic
                            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky View Post
                              Yeah, you can definitely tell these trucks are built to last and have ease of maintenance built in. I constantly hear the group next to me talking about reorganizing and redesigning to be the easiest possible to work on.
                              That is the most amazing thing I've ever heard an engineer say. I was going to ask something along those lines. I'm very happy to hear that's in their minds with design.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X