Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish my engine was this potent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddA1MgLex2Q

Chevy 229 V6 making over 500 hp without any force induction. It idles like a V8 too.

According to Sehr Performance it made more HP and TQ than a lot of V8's they've worked on.
    Last edited by 2.8 Bird; 01-24-2012, 02:44 AM.

Re: I wish my engine was this potent

Pretty cool...
    #1:1999 pewter metallic y87 rs A4 camaro.check out the pics on the link below<br />#2:Bright red 1979 Pontiac Trans Am. Brand new 400 cubic inch Pontiac Motor. All work done by me, except the engine work.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133</a>

Comment

I wonder what all the details are on this one. You can easily tell its a 60* V6, but I wonder which block they used. Sounds really damn good too.

Comment

They state that it is a stock bottom end. That means they could only increase compression ratio a hair by milling the heads and changing the thickness of the head gasket. I dont see how they could get that much horsepower out of heads, cam and intake manifold. I think it would be next to impossible to achieve that kind of power even if they used extremely high compression oversized pistons and stroked it. 500 hp is alot for a 1980 model stock block v6.

Comment

Originally posted by 96blackmaro View Post
          I wonder what all the details are on this one. You can easily tell its a 60* V6, but I wonder which block they used. Sounds really damn good too.
          Sorry to inform you, but the 229 is a 90 degree engine. Some came as odd fire, some as semi odd and some as even fire. It's basically a 305 with 2 cylinders missing. If you look at it closer, it has a traditional v-8 bell housing bolt pattern, something the 60 didn't come with.

Comment

Cool...the carb is almost as big as the engine.:)

I always thought it would be cool to mess with an old school V6. I could see a hopped up Buick 231 or Chevy under the hood of a lightweight car. A old Monza/Skylark would do the trick.
            Stephen<br />1995 Pontiac Firebird<br />3800 Series II V6<br /><br />2000 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Thats cool
              Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
              nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
              2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
              2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Very nice.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by 96blackmaro View Post
                  Yeah, it's actually a 90* 229 ci V6 or a 3.8. Chevy didn't want to use the Buick 3.8 V6 out of pride so they made their own V6.

I think Carb has a lot to do this HP increase too along with cam and heads.

I once dial up the carb on my '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max. I increased the fuel and air ratio or delivery and I squeezed out some more hp, but when I failed smog I have to dail it down again.

Comment

I suprised its possible. I hang out in the carbed buick V6 club a lot and its been often stated that 250-275 is the MAX that is possible out of a pure NA buick 3.8. Boost helps a ton obviously as 15PSI on a strong NA motor makes 500HP.

I wonder if because its a chev theres just more available? Sounds like the heads are HEAVILY worked over and has a big cam. Compression must be up there too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X