Another newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another newbie

Hi everyone. New guy here. I live in northeastern MA and just picked up a 97 Camaro convertible with the 3.8. It's white with a white top and grey interior. Here's the story on it. The previous owner wanted to get rid of it as his son had been driving it, but not doing any maintenance on it. When the check engine light came on, he didn't want to deal with it. The top was also badly ripped on it, so he parked it. I picked it up for $700 and drove it home. A friend of mine owns a top/interior shop, so he installed a new top and back window for $600. The car also had the standard steel rims with hubcaps on it (complete with snow tires!), so I picked up a $100 set of Salad Shooters with two different brands of dry rotted 235/55-16 tires. I used them VERY briefly when I came across a near mint set of 17" 99 Camaro SS rims with practically new 275/40-17s on them. Of course I HAD to get those. When I got the car, you could hardly tell it was white. I've cleaned it a couple times now and it came out pretty good. Add the new top and the car is a good 10 footer. I've done a few other things to it and still need to do a few more things, like fix the CEL (P1860 for the TCC solenoid), but it's coming along nicely. This will be just a fun driver that will get decent mileage. The wife and I took our 6 year old daughters for their first convertible ride the other day and they both loved it.

Anyway, I forgot to take pics of it when I picked up the disgustingly dirty car and with the old wheels and tires, but here's a few pics with the Salad Shooters on it. I'll have to get a few more with the SS rims and with the new, shiny top up! I'll probably post up a couple questions, too, as I'm not too familiar with the car or the 3.8 engine (I'm used to older cars). So, without further ado...

Re: Another newbie

Nice and welcome to the board. Let's see pics with ss wheels.
    #1:1999 pewter metallic y87 rs A4 camaro.check out the pics on the link below<br />#2:Bright red 1979 Pontiac Trans Am. Brand new 400 cubic inch Pontiac Motor. All work done by me, except the engine work.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133</a>

Comment

That's the nicest $700 car I've ever seen. I had to pay $2500 for mine and it has a salvage title. Good find.
      1997 Chevrolet Camaro
      L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

Wow - that is an amazing $700 car!

He sold it less than salvage-value cheap simply because the check engine light is on???? I can only guess he was feeling hard shifts and shifting problems after the car was warmed up and figured the tranny was completely toast. You might only have a P1870 problem (as I recall it has nearly the same symptoms of P1860). P1870 is an easy fix - you can buy the part for it online.

Congrats!
        Last edited by Everglades W68; 08-06-2011, 06:41 AM.
        I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
        CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
        FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Good deal..Especially for a Vert.I paid way too much for mine. Welcome to the board.

Comment

Nice job getting it at that price. Welcome to the forum.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Very pretty car good find mine was 2000 and welcome to the site and the 3.8 is a good motor you should have no problems =)
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, I was real happy with the price. The previous owner didn't know what the going price for one was. I didn't either, but figured it was more than he was selling it for. It did need a bit of work and I have invested quite a bit into it, but it's been worth it. I still need to get pics of it with the SS rims.

Comment

yeah that would be great and again good looking car i hope you enjoy it
                  sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X