Traxxas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Traxxas!

Yeah I can't believe how much fun it is.. I'm probably always going to be a big kid now. Setting up the suspension takes a lot of know how and it really translates from 1:1 to 1:8 or whatever.

Steve, I bet you can find an off road track near you since you get a lot better weather than I do for most of the year. Just check it out once man, you'll get hooked.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I think I would love it too much and spend too much.lol
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I picked up a Traxxas Summit earlier this year, which is essentially 1/8th scale. The crawler stuff seemed interesting but I didn't want to be limited to just that. The Summit is quite an awesome split. I've also considered converting it to an electric slayer which would end up being essentially an 1/8th scale scale crawler/racer with the locking diffs.
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
          I think I would love it too much and spend too much.lol
          Yeah it's easy to sink a lot of money into this, but that depends on how many cars you buy lol! Do it Steve! It's the most fun you can have drinkin and driving!

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky View Post
          I picked up a Traxxas Summit earlier this year, which is essentially 1/8th scale. The crawler stuff seemed interesting but I didn't want to be limited to just that. The Summit is quite an awesome split. I've also considered converting it to an electric slayer which would end up being essentially an 1/8th scale scale crawler/racer with the locking diffs.
          Have you done any competitions?

I've been really getting into competitive racing. I'll be going to events next year. I don't remember if I mentioned it before but the guy that built this track that we go to every weekend has been doing it for like 20 years. He's got a lot of experience and knows a couple big brand name team drivers personally. There was an ex-losi driver out at the track last weekend that hadn't raced in 5 years he said. Man, doesn't seem like he lost the feel for it at all.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Yeah, I did some competitive racing in the short course class last year every other week or so. Even took first in my class a few times. Mostly bashing since then, though, and to be honest I haven't really used either the slash or summit in several months since my living arrangements had changed.
            sigpic
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Living arrangements have changed? Sounds like a nice way of saying, the ***** is a *****.

That's cool, what class and main did you run in? Stock? Modded?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I've done all of my racing in a smaller town that doesn't really have a solid system going, so stock and modded is all mixed together. For the most part though, I raced in the A main which is modded mostly, and the B main was mostly stock and/or inexperienced drivers. It was also all an indoor carpet course. They just recently got an outdoor track with jumps going which I haven't had a chance to check out but plan to sometime soon.
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Those jumps are what make this hobby for me. It took awhile to set up my slash to jump well, but it was fun seeing what the different changes did to it, big bore shocks are a must! I like my jumps to be nice and smooth, I've got it where I can land on the downside and it hardly makes a sound on our big jump. Definitely get out there and try it!

Oh I got my RC8.2e last night! Didn't get to drive it but it looks pretty. I'll get some vids of it this weekend. I kinda don't want to get it dirty... hah.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

ive always wanted one where can i get on just to start off do they have firebirds:D:D

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                      Those jumps are what make this hobby for me. It took awhile to set up my slash to jump well, but it was fun seeing what the different changes did to it, big bore shocks are a must! I like my jumps to be nice and smooth, I've got it where I can land on the downside and it hardly makes a sound on our big jump. Definitely get out there and try it!

Oh I got my RC8.2e last night! Didn't get to drive it but it looks pretty. I'll get some vids of it this weekend. I kinda don't want to get it dirty... hah.
                      Oh I've definitely had my slash off plenty of jumps, just not in a racing setting. We get a lot of snow down here and I have some videos of 10-15 ft of air off some of the jumps we've made. I also have taken it down to the skate park, and off the half pipe I've gotten my slash at least 30 ft off the ground. What's most amazing is that I didn't break anything on the cement landing. We also have a nearby track that hasn't been used for a while but still has some nice jumps. Hopefully we'll get it up and running again and have it race-able.

Originally posted by FIREBIRDV6RAGE View Post
                      ive always wanted one where can i get on just to start off do they have firebirds:D:D

I buy most of my stuff off AMainHobbies but local hobby shops are also a good way to go. Not sure about firebirds but there could be. I haven't gotten much in to the street cars.
                      sigpic
                      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Haha, Schlotzky reminds me of this vid my friend took doin a jump off a half pipe. Got some good air and came down flat, blew a shock or two and cracked a couple hubs.

Firebirdrage, I think I've seen firebird bodies on like a HPI sprint 2 sport or something similar. I've got one with a 69 camaro body. If you're interested in getting into it, the first car you get can make a huge difference if you keep on with it or not. Things will break sooner or later so getting something that your local hobby shop stocks parts for helps a ton. On road cars are cool and all, and it is fun to drift for awhile too with the right tires, but off road 4wd cars are f'n sweet. Amain is good, and so is ebay. Towerhobbies can have the right deal on things too, along with their easy pay for certain items which breaks up the payment into 3 months with no interest, rather than 1 lump sum, makes it a little easier.

I'm back to the track for my rc8.2e's maiden run tomorrow! Who's excited? This guy.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

On that whole day's run I think the only thing I broke was the front shock tower. Picked up an RPM tower and haven't worried about it since. Speaking of blown shocks though, I need to pick up a rebuild kit for my big bores as I just noticed I blew the top seals on two of them! Likely due to my preference for heavier oils.
                          sigpic
                          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

How heavy do you use? I started with 60w and gradually made my way down to the oil that comes with them.. I think it's 30wt. And I still think the fronts need like 25wt.

Oh I ran into another problem now since I'm using 4s. Let's see, 4.2x4 cells=16.80v multiplied by my desired 1c charge rate for a 5000mah pack 5amps= 84watts. I need 84 watts to charge those 4s 5000mah packs at a 1c rate. My charger only supports 50watts so it charges them at like 3.2amps and it SUCKS! I hit the 2 hour cutoff limit on both the packs. It's like.. man....... wtf...... I found a dual charger that will handle it but it's $134.00 and I gotta buy a power supply on top of that. Unless I can find an old CPU power supply and modify it. But still.. I spent like 90.00 on the first crappy venom charger!
                            Last edited by Blizzard242; 09-28-2012, 01:30 PM.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I got my charger off hobbypartz.com.. It's the thunder AC6 and I'm quite happy with it. It does 5 amp charge rates and adjustable cutoffs, from mAh to time to voltage to temperature with an included thermometer. It also does discharges, and I think I spent $42 shipped. Built in AC power supply and 12v leads optional. Also comes with a ton of charging leads, unfortunately though no traxxas or deans, so I just soldered on a traxxas connector.

I have had good luck with 60w in my slash in the rear and ~50w in the front from a blend of 60 and 30. I'm also not using sway bars, so it does help with that. In my summit, I'm using 100w all around and it's much nicer.
                              sigpic
                              1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                              --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Ok, driving that buggy was amazing. There's like no comparison to my 2wd slash.

I tried 60wt in the rear and 50wt up front on my slash but it was just overdampened and stayed leaning after a turn. I suppose heavier springs would have fixed that issue but I started bending stock shock shafts too after the jumps we were taking.

Now that I've got this buggy it's got a lot more available adjustments that I have to figure out too.. camber inserts, sway bars, rear toe, caster inserts, droop screws.. And since I bought a RTR and didn't go over every screw before I ran it, it's just falling apart on the track. Even the motor can was coming loose, but I caught that before it ruined anything. Still.. I don't even want to drive my slash anymore, the buggy is too much fun.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X