Stupid GM and their leftover parts bin crap - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid GM and their leftover parts bin crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid GM and their leftover parts bin crap

So has anyone ever replaced the turn signal switch in an f body before?

I have been trying to trace down an intermittent bad left brake light in my TA off and on for about a year now. Tried different bulbs, cleaning the sockets etc. etc. and after finally studying the wiring diagram I learn the brake lights run through the turn signal switch.

Ok, first off why on god's green earth did GM think they needed to wire all the important lights through this one little cheesy plastic switch and then to top it off, they bury it so far deep inside the steering column that most people actually find it easier to replace the whole column than replace a 15 dollar switch.

Anyway I can wiggle the switch towards the passenger side and they come on like normal, its very repeatable so for the time being im just going to have to remember that after using my left turn signal im going to have to push up on the lever slightly to get my left brake light to work.

Anyone got any tips or advice?

Or should I do like Vanbibber has been saying for a long time and coast my TA down a hill and off a cliff somewhere for a few laughs since it seems like all I have to do is work on this thing everytime I turn around.

Re: Stupid GM and their leftover parts bin crap

i have pulled the steering column apart in my firebird before. I had to change the ignition lock cylinder. I had it apart and then back together in about an hour or so. Make sure you have the clock spring tool, and it should go pretty easily.
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Hmm...never seen those before, might have to check into that. May just get some prices locally to get it done because I dont have access to any special tools like that. I know I can get the steering wheel puller and stuff at advance auto, but I have never seen the clockspring tool before.

Comment

I need to swap out the steering column in my LT1, its either that or maybe the rag joint? I looked at few write ups and manuals and it looks like a job that can easily go bad.

Has anyone gotten a shop to swap out a steering column before?
        1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
        1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
        1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
        2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Pics or vids if you go the cliff route
          Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
          1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
          1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
          2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

I'll take the car if you really don't want it :P

Comment

Nah I wont go the cliff route. I might actually try to find a column because I have alot of slop in my steering wheel that I am not quite sure if its in the column or the rack and pinion because I know its not in the rag joint.

Comment

Originally posted by Swindez95 View Post
                Nah I wont go the cliff route. I might actually try to find a column because I have alot of slop in my steering wheel that I am not quite sure if its in the column or the rack and pinion because I know its not in the rag joint.
                I have ALOT of play in my steering, I can move my steering wheel about half a quarter way right or left without the front tires moving.
                1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
                1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
                2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Or should I do like Vanbibber has been saying for a long time and coast my TA down a hill and off a cliff somewhere for a few laughs since it seems like all I have to do is work on this thing everytime I turn around.
                  i knew someone would come around to the idea with me lol. luckily thats one of the few issues i havent had to deal with (yet)

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                  http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                  Or this

Comment

did you know that the GM turn signal in our fbodies was also used in the Dodge Vipers from the early-mid 1990s?

did you know that the 651 horsepower innovative Ferrari FF uses the same Navigation system from a Chrysler town and country?
                    Robby
                    2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
                    sigpic

Comment

The FF is ugly as sin so it has that in common with the town and country too. lol

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                      http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                      Or this

Comment

Originally posted by truekoa View Post
                        I need to swap out the steering column in my LT1, its either that or maybe the rag joint? I looked at few write ups and manuals and it looks like a job that can easily go bad.

Has anyone gotten a shop to swap out a steering column before?

4th Gen Rag Joint Eliminator (1993-1997)

http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/
                        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X