Just bought another 3rd Gen 5.7L Z28 - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought another 3rd Gen 5.7L Z28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just bought another 3rd Gen 5.7L Z28

How is the air filter?

Did you get the oil changed?

FP Regulator will help the running rich part.

Retarding the timing will help with the NOX.

The alcohol will help with the CO .

Your Cats may be on thier last legs though.

Comment

Originally posted by transamtom1 View Post
      How is the air filter?

Did you get the oil changed?

FP Regulator will help the running rich part.

Retarding the timing will help with the NOX.

The alcohol will help with the CO .

Your Cats may be on thier last legs though.
      Went with K&N Air & Oil Filters and changed the oil to Mobil 1 Synthetic.

FP is something I have not swapped before but I hope it's an easy part to replace. An adjustable was recommended in my 'Search' but then I need gauges to read the before and after.

Retarding six degrees will increase exhaust temps I've read so that's gonna require a timing gun, which I don't have but I'm already calculating the extra tool purchases.

I'm currently looking for free flow cats and the aftermarket has more than enough to choose from so it's a matter of in-depth reviews of cat companies. Catco looks doable but I'm also tempted to go more aggressive with the current Flowmaster exhaust sound. Headers will be later but I'll agree that I have to make this Camaro pass primarily.

I bought a six pack of STP Dry Gas and used my Autozone Rewards Card, turned out to be free with my $20.00 rewards credit. Rest of the savings will go towards fuses for those times I'll need it.

Tune ups on older cars can be such a learning experience. Gonna go to a different emissions test center that passed my V6. Even my 3.8L has over 330,000 on the original cat & O2 sensors!
      Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Cool sounds like you got it covered.

AFPR is easy,just remove the Plenum and you have access,make sure you bleed the pressure with the schraeder valve first.

You definetly need a guage.

Comment

is there a $$ cap on repairs to get the car to pass? OH, iirc, had a $300 limit before it would issue a waiver (considered it on the 85) but swapped in a 3800II instead.

car is clean, how long before to procure a Holley Stealth Ram for it?

edit: w/so many comeros, let's see the mullet ;)
          1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
          2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
          94 comero 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4 slow to go View Post
            is there a $$ cap on repairs to get the car to pass? OH, iirc, had a $300 limit before it would issue a waiver (considered it on the 85) but swapped in a 3800II instead.

car is clean, how long before to procure a Holley Stealth Ram for it?

edit: w/so many comeros, let's see the mullet ;)
            LMAO you are still one funny guy, good to see ya.

No limit to self repairs but in Connecticut to qualify for a waiver, it is issued if an independent certified emissions repair facility exceeds $660 in total parts costs including parts & labor. I wonder who wins in that scenario?

HSR eh? I would love to install one. Stay tuned for that or LS1.

I am stuck in the 80's myself. I'm 42 and got tickets for Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth & Anthrax this September at Yankee Stadium. Not taking this Z28 to NYC but taking the 3.8L V6 with the decent stereo. :D
            Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Wow and I thought we got hosed here in Ontario,its up to $400.00 and can be less.

The last time I got a conditional for my LT1 it was $265.00 and it still failed but you get your plates.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X