Sigh.... another surgery to the spine... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sigh.... another surgery to the spine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigh.... another surgery to the spine...

Ugh.... I'm sooo tired with this.

The past 4 years have really aged me.

Back in 2008 and 2009 I got into 2 bad car accidents - both not my fault. I've had 3 surguries on my spine to date... I have 10 pins, 2 metal rods, 8 screws and one huge plate holding my neck together.... there is also a bunch of kedaver bones in there to... this caused a major impact into my life due to significant loss of motion in my neck/ head.

So.... since my last surgery last summer I've had several incidents (lasting 2-4 weeks) where I have had extreme difficulty walking and needed a cane..... and about 4-5 incidents where I just plain can't walk.... either the pain is too much or the legs just don't work. I now have difficulty staying in a sitting position - this has gotten worse over the past year. It is quite stressful.... but I try and remain optimistic.

I've been having spinal injections, extensive physical therapy, various meds (muscle relaxers, steroids, pain killers yada yada yada)... and about 2 weeks ago it got so bad so I saw the doctor. I've been seeing him on a regular basis but this was an unplanned appointment.

He did x rays... and when I told him how many incidents I had where my legs didn't work.... he said we really have to consider surgery again. Now, he is one who avoids surgery - it is a last option. We have discussed the possibility of another surgery in the past... but we figured I would be lucky and avoid it.

I've been seeing this neurosurgeon since 2008... and I see his partners on a regular basis also. I also have a pain management doctor...he has said he has reached what he can do... there is nothing else he can do to help.

Well... the neurosurgeon has submitted the request for an MRI to my insurance company... it will probably take 1-2 weeks to get approval (which is the norm).

We know the problem is definately the L4 to L5 disc....and probably L3 to L4 and L2 to L3.

Last X-ray and MRI showed a 7-8 mm herniated disc and we expect to see it is worse.

I figure I'll be back in surgery within a couple weeks/ month. I am expecting to have either another plate(s) / screws or 2 rods/ lots of pins into my lower back. I'd have to wear a full body cast for 2-3 months - blah!

Ya know.... I'm really tired of this. I've been in some form of pain since 2008... I've been going to physical therapy on and off since 2008.... I've had 3 surgeries to my spine.... and I'm utterly beat.

The worse part is....when it is either cold or humid or both, I am in extreme pain due to the amount of metal in me. It is a deep body ache that can't be shaken. Anyone who has metal hardware in their body can understand this... and now I'll most likely have even more metal.

This is just plain crap.... well.... if I'm home recovering from surgery you will see me on here more.
    Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
    nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
    2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
    2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Re: Sigh.... another surgery to the spine...

sorry to hear man. you'll be in my prayers! i have a friend that is in a similar situation and it has been really tough on him. keep your head up and you always got us *group hug* lol
    Dave:
    00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
    97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Wow that really sucks.

My prayers are with you.

Maybe move to Arizona or Florida if its possible for the cold thing.

Comment

Stay strong. I really hope you took the other two drivers for everything they had. It's bull**** how careless drivers can completely **** up someone's life.

Comment

Good luck RoboJames! I look forward to seeing your progress continue towards becoming a cyborg.
          <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

g'luck!
            Robby
            2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
            sigpic

Comment

Good luck! My wife was involved in an accident before I met her. Ejected 150ft, coma for 3 1/2 months and a year of extensive PT, OT and neurological rehab. She's a walking miracle and you'd be hard pressed to tell she had any problems except her trach scar and a slight limp from the broken pelvis.

She gets aches and whatnot when it's cold or humid and will have random spots where it'll hurt for no apparent reason. I just stay by her side and take care of what she needs and keep her happy cause that's what she'd do for me.

Best of wishes :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bird_Of_Prey View Post
                Good luck RoboJames! I look forward to seeing your progress continue towards becoming a cyborg.
                That's what my friends say about me, I've got a rod going from my right hip to my knee with 4 pins in it, and 2 plates and 12 pins in my right forearm. I can vouch for the cold weather too, it sucks because there's nothing you can do to avoid/get rid of it. Good luck, I hope all goes well.
                1997 Chevrolet Camaro
                L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

that sucks james, hopefully it'll be the last surgery this time.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                  http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                  Or this

Comment

I'm sure with the bad luck you are due for something in return, good luck with everything
                    Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
                    1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
                    1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
                    2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Good luck.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Damn James, thought all this was behind you by now...hurry up, get thru the surgury, and get back to better health.
                        1995 Pontiac Firebird
                        2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Sorry to hear it man... I recently started having some minor back issues, and jesus its hell It really does mess your life up. Mine was just too much classroom, too much sitting on my *** in an improper position for too long. I literally was having a hard time getting up and moving, I just started getting more active and I am doing better but man it was rough.

On an unrelated note James, I think of you all the time, the aircraft I work with is pyschotic with weight savings. They calculated that 1 lbs of weight(part of the aircraft) costs an airline $600 a year in fuel costs.

They literarly redesigned and redid just about everything on this airplane, to save 2 lbs a apart hear, 0.5 oz on certain fastners, etc... Just reminds me of your old car.

Comment

Good luck with the surgery. It sounds very scary. I hope it all goes well and that you make a full recovery.

Just curious, but have you tried acupuncture? When my brother's back pain was at its worst, he tried acupuncture and it helped relieve the pain for a day or two.
                            2001 white Firebird (completely stock)<br /><br />2003 Civic LX sedan for my daily commute. 115 hp (Yes, pathetic, but gets me 36 mpg!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X