Need some opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some opinions

Ok guys my 95TA LT1 has apparently bitten the dust. What I thought was originally just maybe some really loud valve train noise like a bad lifter or something has given me reason to believe its a spun rod bearing.

It started out as a small tick last summer and it got progressively worse, I always kept the idea of a spun bearing in the back of my mind but the motor never gave any other symptoms like metal in the oil (granted I never did cut open a single oil filter so who knows), and its kept the same oil pressure since before it started making the noise till now, 80+ psi cold idle and 35-40 psi+ hot idle and 60+ cruise

I also always thought it might be in the valve train thinking it was the valves out of adjustment so I tightened the adjusters and it got quieter so I chalked it up to the hot cam trashing a factory lifter pretty hard. Also the noise has always been from the top of the motor on the drivers side, mainly sounded like no 7 exhaust. Now here is the kicker today I was spinning the engine and it seems like on cyl no 7 compression stroke I can spin the crank pully pretty easily around 5 degrees of rotation and at either end it clanks slightly.

So here is my dilemma, I love the car, always been the nice v8 sports car ive always wanted with the power and its just a dang nice car. But it needs a whole new front end, rack and pinion and bushings and its rusted since its a ohio car, and of course, something serious in the engine and im not sure its worth the trouble.

My camaro on the other hand is also nice, rides alot better, has much better paint, but needs new interior and all new engine gaskets and transmission rebuilt since its slipping in OD which may just be the TCC but still constitutes a rebuild with 226k on it. Also its nowhere near the power I want and believe it or not I pull just about the same MPG out of the 3.4 stock as I do with the LT1 with the cam which is crazy it seems but thats how it was when I parked the Maro.

So what do you guys think? Rebuild....or...well....hehe rebuild? Only got about 1300 to play with and only working part time at minimum wage doesn't mean I have alot of options. I know a shop that might do the work on both for around the same possibly but I haven't contacted him yet.

Re: Need some opinions

rebuild the V8, then take the engine, transmission, and interior and put it in the camaro :D

Comment

Are you sure it's a spun bearing? Have you done a compression check on it? It still could be in the valvetrain. Bad or bent valve maybe? It wouldn't hurt to check before you dig into the engine.

Comment

Drop a LQ9 6.0L in it call it a day.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
          This.
          1995 Pontiac Firebird
          2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Atrum Rosa View Post
            rebuild the V8, then take the engine, transmission, and interior and put it in the camaro :D
            If it were that easy to do I would have already done it lol.

Originally posted by Cool81z28 View Post
            Are you sure it's a spun bearing? Have you done a compression check on it? It still could be in the valvetrain. Bad or bent valve maybe? It wouldn't hurt to check before you dig into the engine.
            Well I haven't tried diagnosing the motor beyond looking for a bent pushrod or broken valve spring. I will say this though, which reinforces why I thought it was upper end problem, its loud and sounds like someone hitting a hollow rod with a pinging sound with the drivers valve cover off. Under the passenger side its quiet, not to mention that with the engine running and under the car with a jack handle against the block against my ear it sounds like a sewing machine and my original thought was that if it were a rod knocking then I could hear it resonating through the block from the crank but thats not the case it seems but im not too sure. I have heard a lt1 rod knocking and most of the time it sounds like someone hitting the crank with a brass hammer but this sounds like a hollow knock/rattle.

Also I seem to get alot of knock retard above 4500 rpm's which I am now contributing to the noise and not the tune because my same tune in another car with the same parts even with roller rockers didnt cause a single degree of KR.

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
            If I was starting with an LSX platform and the wiring harness that would be a sweet choice given the abundance and cheap price of LQ9's but I am not up for changing out the wiring harness even if it is just changing a few wires and adding a couple.

Comment

go yank a used motor or find a long block for a couple hundred. theyre all over

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
              http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
              Or this

Comment

Not around here, they all blown. Nearest one from craigslist or ebay is over 150 miles. I know where there is one at, a friend of mine has it and I know I could get it for little to nothing but its for sure got a spun bearing. When it went at the track it lost oil pressure and all.

I dunno, still thinking about pulling the intake off and looking at all the lifters and inspect the cam best I can see if its not still just a really screwed lifter or a funky cam lobe.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X