This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money question?

I notice a lot of you guys on here have a lot of money to blow on your cars which is good I wish I could blow the money like that. I just wanted to know what do a lot of you guys do for a living? Do you guys do things that an ordinary guy like me can do to make a lot of extra cash? I know this is randon it just came across my mind while I was sitting her thinking about how much "Not" cash I had to spend on my 94

Re: Money question?

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=100619

Comment

haha, i have been thinking the same thing.

maybe it is just me though, i would never put any money into my v6 camaro other than maintenance

Comment

To me, my camaro is a hobby. To some a car is merely a means of transportation.

I trade stocks while being a full time student. That's what I do for a living.
        In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
        2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Some of us are at different stages in life. I didn't always have much to piss away on my car in my early 20's. However, I'm 30, employed, no kids, and love my hobby.
          <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

drug dealin..... just kidding.

I agree with Bird of Prey. It's all about what life stage your in as to where you can put your money. best way to get extra money for modding is to get another part time job working late nights or weekends or something if you already have a full time job.
            Dave:
            00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
            97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

I'm guessing you're young like many of us. Most younger people that can afford to mod cars and have other hobbies are generally young white collar professionals and business owners. Though I do know a few guys that still live at home in their mid 20's, they barely earn 40k/yr, but have no expensive. I get my money through my business ventures and contract jobs in the IT, hosting and programming/analysis fields.

To get money early on in life it's best to have diverse sources of income and a full time white collar job or business. That will total up to a nice yearly salary. Then you have to make compromises. What do you spend your money on? Will you spend your money to make more money, spend it on your project car, buy a nice daily driver, save for or buy a house, start a family, or just eat out every day and rent an expensive loft?

You have to remember most people spend everything they earn. This is the main problem. When I was younger I really couldn't understand how I can earn double of of what the average family in the US makes and still be broke. It's because I was blowing all of it on things I didn't need and eating out at expensive places constantly. Now I try to use my money wisely.

Right now I'm in a spending money to make more money mode. So I bought myself a $500 beater Buick LeSabre, spent another $750 or so on maintenance and repairs (did work myself). It now has perfectly working AC, decent sound with a 15" sub woofer in the trunk, new brakes, new plugs, valve cover gaskets, vacuum lines, tinted windows (a must on my cars), and new battery and many more miscellaneous repairs. Runs like a champ.

If business plans work out well next year I'll upgrade my lifestyle, ditch the Buick and get a nice daily (I want a 2007ish S class) with cash ONLY. If plans fall through and I don't make enough money to where I can buy the car I want with cash and expand businesses I will keep the Buick running. You can only upgrade your lifestyle at milestones, you can't just spend your entire pay check every month to "slowly gain luxuries", it doesn't work. You have to spend within what your true salary range is (salary - business investments - long term investments - savings = true salary). There are too many people driving expensive cars, buying houses and wasting money and ending up penniless.

While I can't mod my Camaro instantly over night this plan does leave me some money to mod and maintain the Camaro. I should be starting to get parts built for a turbo this month.
              sigpic

Comment

Im an Energy Broker; its a pretty fun business and good pay. I get a good amount of residuals every month, so thats the money I mod with

Comment

i'm a medical supplies coordinator in genesis.

besides the point...it all has to do with where you are in your life...i got my camaro when i was 19, she was my hobby. just seeing what i could do with her. spent bout 13k threw first 3 years i had her in performance and appearance. don't regret it...just don't want to think about it either lol. now i'm 27, married, own my house, and have a child. still have my camaro but she doesn't come out ever. nor do i spend any money on her anymore.

alot of people on this site have had their cars for a longggg time...if you take a large amount of money and spread it out over YEARS....it's doesn't seem like that much.

plus back in the good ole days of this site we had alot of wicked 6ers around her...so yes they are worth the money if you do them right
                  WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

I'm a pharmacy tech, working on getting into pharmacy school so I can actually make some good income. I was just shy of doing 30K on my own this past year without even working full time.

I modded mine a little bit at a time and gathered parts for the big stuff in a patient manner.

I'm 27, married, have a mortgage.

Comment

Like WarShrike, I'm also a pharmacy technician. I'm currently back in school working on my degree. Recently I have been considering changing my major, but not quite sure just yet.

I'll be 26 in a couple of weeks, married, own a home and 3 cars. I usually don't have the money or time to modify my Camaro, but I do a few things here and there.. otherwise I just enjoy driving it when the weather is nice.

Comment

I sell my body to pay for mods.

I have had my car since 2002, so the mods just came over time, not all at once. Buy a mod here or there and eventually the mod list balloons. lol
                        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

i would have to add that it really depends on where you live as to how much you make too. i live in the stl area which is the #1 hardest place to find a job right now. furthermore, jobs pay like garbage in this area for the most part. we really have no major company hq's here so on and so forth. I work for Walgreens as an assistant manager and make around 33k a year. some of you are acting like below 40k is garbage lol makes me laugh. 33k a year here is good especially being that im 22 years old. however i am married and have a house that we now enjoy working on, and have some bills we are trying to pay off. i used to only make 14k a year or so working seasonally for the city i used to live in. at the time i had no bills besides car insurance and gas, so i spent a lot of money on the car. i didnt have anything else to work on at the time so that was it. now im looking to sell my car to get my student loans paid off, and later in life will look into getting back in the fbody game. just kind of reinforces what everone has been sayin so far.
                          sigpic

Comment

I have to agree with firebirddrvr. If a person in Cincinnati makes $30k per year they are doing fairly well for themselves. I pulled in close to $38k last year and I'm able to support two car payments, a mortgage and utilities if it comes down to it.

A close friend of mine makes $25k per year as a supervisor for a security guard company and he seems to do just fine, has a beautiful 3 bedroom condo and a new Jeep Grand Cherokee.

A pack of Marlboro's here cost nearly $5.50. My friend who lives in New York claims they are over $10 a pack. It's all different depending on what part of the globe your standing. In Cincinnati, your average hooker probably costs $100. In third world countries, they're practically giving them away.

Comment

My Long term disablity pays for my mods, of course I would rather be working and rather not have a stroke and back problems at 32 years old, now 37 but oh well at least I get to enjoy some stuff. I'm alittle over 40K I think don't really know since my income is non-taxable and I make $2200 a month.
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X