What mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What mods?

Just want some opinion of what mods should come first. My goals are stylish performance if that makes sense. No turbo for now, that's a few years down the road.

On my to-do-list
    - Short shifter, meaning a Hurst/B&M shifter*
    - Kee Audio's replacement speakers for interior*
    - Fix my damn front fender...*
    - GT1/2 cam and supporting mods*
    - Alum. D/S
    - C6 5 spoke gunmetals/Some kinda gunmetal wheels*
    - Different color lights in the guage cluster
    - Cutout, maybe. Just because I like the sound at idle.
    - Pacesetters*
    - Tint, 18%*
    - Suspension, Eibach kit, plus anything suggested*
    - HPtuners*

Currently, I have intake, exhaust, and a rear end waiting for me to install. 3.42's LSD.

* indicates things that WILL happen, just not sure of what order.
    Last edited by Docta; 03-06-2011, 11:48 PM.

Re: What mods?

Originally posted by Docta View Post
    On my to-do-list
    - Short shifter if you are doing it for style, just cut yours down - free
    - Shift light GAY unless your using nitrous or another power adder
    - MSD Ignition/similar safe your money
    - QTP electronic exhaust cutout not really going to help you with power since you lose back presure plus you will sound like a angry bumble bee- Jet chip
    - Shock stabilizer bar another thing that should be lowwwwwwww on your list
    - LED interior inserts rice rice baby
    - Window tint approve
    - Cam if you are thinking cam, save your money and do it right, do port and polished heads, lifters, springs, maybe roller rockers if you get a good deal. there is no point in just pulling a cam in. DO IT RIGHT AND TWICE
    - Headers yes, but save the money get the painted pacesetters. work just as good as the coated one yet you save money. get a can of bbq grill paint anti rust. it lasts a longgggg time
    - Some sort of LSD diff if you call it some sort...i would say its gonna cost alot of money cause your gonna want to pay someone to do it. yes it is a good upgrade. posi unit and 3.73 gears. anything below 3.73 is pointless and won't change much. if she is your daily driver your gonna get hit. if you don't care about mpg go with 4.10 best bang for your buck-
    Mock RS body kit stock body kit is sweet

Right now I've got about 7-800 to spend on it, just some ideas thrown out there.
    don't know what you have done so i'll lay it out

intake
    exhaust
    headers
    high flow cat
    tires
    lca's
    torque arm
    panhard rod
    shocks-sturts
    springs
    sturt tower
    cam, p&p heads, springs, lifters (maybe rockers)
    power adders
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Docta
      On my to-do-list
      - Short shifter if you are doing it for style, just cut yours down - free- Going for shorter shifts. lol.
      - Shift light GAY unless your using nitrous or another power adder. Point taken.
      - MSD Ignition/similar safe your money- Reason?
      - QTP electronic exhaust cutout not really going to help you with power since you lose back presure plus you will sound like a angry bumble bee- I have it dumping behind the cat right now, so it wouldn't be too much different, right?
      - Shock stabilizer bar another thing that should be lowwwwwwww on your list-
      - LED interior inserts rice rice baby- I meant, the thing that says "CAMARO" in the stereo console...That's not ricey.
      - Window tint approve- ty ty :P
      - Cam if you are thinking cam, save your money and do it right, do port and polished heads, lifters, springs, maybe roller rockers if you get a good deal. there is no point in just pulling a cam in. DO IT RIGHT AND TWICE- Yeah, that's why I was thinking that's a future project, after I get more knowledge of my car.
      - Headers yes, but save the money get the painted pacesetters. work just as good as the coated one yet you save money. get a can of bbq grill paint anti rust. it lasts a longgggg time- Good to know. Thanks.
      - Some sort of LSD diff if you call it some sort...i would say its gonna cost alot of money cause your gonna want to pay someone to do it. yes it is a good upgrade. posi unit and 3.73 gears. anything below 3.73 is pointless and won't change much. if she is your daily driver your gonna get hit. if you don't care about mpg go with 4.10 best bang for your buck- Yeah, it's my daily car, but it's mostly just the 10 or so miles to town and back and in my little village :P SO 4.10's wouldn't make a big difference except for acceleration.
      Mock RS body kit stock body kit is sweet- The RS one? Yeah... But I can't find one.

intake- Done, smooth lid, generic CAI
      exhaust- Stock with some ingenuity
      headers- On the to do list
      high flow cat- With headers
      tires- Just put some new rubber on.
      lca's- Uh? What might that be?
      torque arm- ^
      panhard rod- ^^
      shocks-struts- They were replaced 2000 miles ago. But will get new ones when I do springs.
      springs- ^
      sturt tower- again, newbie here?
      cam, p&p heads, springs, lifters (maybe rockers) - Once I have the cash flow...
      power adders- Well down the road. That's post-college stuff. 4+ yrs =/

What do people think of performance chips?

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post

intake- Done, smooth lid, generic CAI
        exhaust- Stock with some ingenuity
        headers- On the to do list
        high flow cat- With headers
        tires- Just put some new rubber on.
        lca's- Uh? What might that be?
        torque arm- ^
        panhard rod- ^^
        shocks-struts- They were replaced 2000 miles ago. But will get new ones when I do springs.
        springs- ^
        sturt tower- again, newbie here?
        cam, p&p heads, springs, lifters (maybe rockers) - Once I have the cash flow...
        power adders- Well down the road. That's post-college stuff. 4+ yrs =/

What do people think of performance chips?

get some good performance exhaust from the block back (header, high flow cat, full exhaust system) that will be the best money spent.

what kind of tires? the key isn't tires its brand and sticky-ness

lca (lower control arms ) torque arm, panhard rod are all suspension. they are the keys along with the sticky rubber in transfering your power from your tranny to your rear wheels to the ground.

shock - struts - springs...you want a good performace one....another key in transfering power

with your money that you have now, invest in a fulllllllll exhaust system. best band for your buck plus that is the first stepping stone that needs to be placed for any kind of performance that will be done.

#1 intake - exhaust
        #2 rubber
        #3 suspension
        #4 clutch & rear end
        #5 dyno
        #6 engine work
        #7dyno
        #8 power adders
        #9 dyno
        Last edited by kristen; 10-22-2010, 08:11 AM.
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

chip....oh hellllllllllllllllllllllllll no. waste of money for our cars...if you do anything you can dyno the car...but with out any kind of power adders it is pointless for tune
          WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

hp tuners or dyno tune...everything else sucks...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by kristen View Post
              chip....oh hellllllllllllllllllllllllll no.
              i literally almost lost my coke after imagining you say that haha.
              Dave:
              00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
              97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

7-800 won't get you that far.. MIGHT get you the full exhaust if you play your cards right.
                Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
                1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
                1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
                2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

So exhaust needs to be on my list...
                  Rubber is some kinda 225/55/16's my dad picked out... I don't know what they are. He told me they're replicas of what come stock on TA's... He owns one, so I believe him :P

Realistically, I'll probably get some suspension work done now. Save Exhaust for when I can do it right, and at one time. And for now, time to go get some new rotors on. Wooo... Anyone want some that are warped to all hell from the previous owner?

Comment

Alright, So I un-ghetto rigged my exhaust today, along with turning the front two rotors, and I absolutely love the engine sound. Would I be able to get headers/cat and keep the stock muffler?

Comment

Just stop. Just STOP!

You have a huge amount to learn before you start modding your car - that's obvious from your "list". Reads more like a "ricer".

And your car - 2000 Camaro Z3.8?? Are you kidding?

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I would spend some time reading about basic things you can do, start with free mods and then even when you have money for stuff, check the for sale sections on this forum and other rival forums - if you wait and play your cards right sometimes you will get a REALLY good deal.

Best bet right now is read as much as you can and attempt some free mods.
                        1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                        1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
                        1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
                        2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                          Just stop. Just STOP!

You have a huge amount to learn before you start modding your car - that's obvious from your "list". Reads more like a "ricer".

And your car - 2000 Camaro Z3.8?? Are you kidding?

Jeez.... Seriously I'm 17. Do you EXPECT me to know every single thing about the car I got not even a year ago?? And I liked the sound of it, crimes against humanity obviously... And in case you didn't notice, this is my way of learning. I can't do any of the stuff I want to, becuase I have 3 o2 sensor errors, and a TAC module error to take care of. I'm here to learn until I can help other people.... 90% of this stuff won't happen for a couple years anyways. Sorry I guess?; or should I even be the one apologizing? DAMN ME FOR WANTING TO LEARN FROM PEOPLE THAT KNOW!! Hence why I'm asking, not going out and doing....
                          /smart ***.

My bad if that came out bad, but damn man... This is a learning experience for me... 9000 miles after I got the car, I don't know everything about it yet. Whoops?

I would spend some time reading about basic things you can do, start with free mods and then even when you have money for stuff, check the for sale sections on this forum and other rival forums - if you wait and play your cards right sometimes you will get a REALLY good deal.

Best bet right now is read as much as you can and attempt some free mods.
                          Yeah, that's what I've been trying to do. I guess this thread is just an alternate to reading about all these things. So far I've done some of the mods in various places around here and they've all turned out good. Need to re-do my wheels though, They're nastyy =/ Any suggested reading places besides the all-knowing Mod Encyc??
                          Last edited by Docta; 10-23-2010, 05:14 AM.

Comment

I agree with everyone else. Exhaust 1st and foremost.

I think you can do what I did though. Get headers, hi-flow cat and electric cutout in bigger exhaust than stock. I recommend 2.5 to 2.75" exhaust.

Then you can get a stock T/a replacement exhaust for the rest of the way for a loud/quiet setup. It sounds great dispite what kristen says. :P
                            -Jarred '70 Pontiac LeMans | '89 Firebird Formula 350

Comment

Yeah, that's what I've been trying to do. I guess this thread is just an alternate to reading about all these things. So far I've done some of the mods in various places around here and they've all turned out good. Need to re-do my wheels though, They're nastyy =/ Any suggested reading places besides the all-knowing Mod Encyc??
                              research each individual modification...

exhaust is always a good start...look into some local shops, We have a sweet shop that we keep bringing our buisness back to over here...charged me $350 for my exhaust complete cat back including all hardware and installation...and he stands behind his work...5 years later and I just went back because an unrelated GM exhaust mount rotted out and gave way, he fixed it up for free...

I'm sure there are good shops in your area that will cut you a good deal...
                              Last edited by LETZRIDE; 10-23-2010, 09:31 AM.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                              1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X