V6 - V8 Swap, tell insurance company? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V6 - V8 Swap, tell insurance company?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 - V8 Swap, tell insurance company?

I was wondering if I did this, would they deny me coverage because my car was modified or how should this be performed? If I were ever to be involved in an accident, would they look to see its not a V6 anymore or what? I have Nationwide Auto
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Re: V6 - V8 Swap, tell insurance company?

i wouldnt notify them, basically when it comes to you totalling your car, dont expect to get V8 value out of it, and when your engine is damaged due to a crash dont expect them to pay XXX amount of dollars to replace a V8 engine, expect to get v6 engine value if that were the case.
    *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

I believe they can deny you coverage yes. Thats classified as a "major" modification. Chances are if its a small time collision they wont deny you, but if you seriously injure someone and they are trying to sue for millions (like all you folks do in the States :D) then ya, they'll try and shake you anyway they can...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by StrtRacer98 View Post
        i wouldnt notify them, basically when it comes to you totalling your car, dont expect to get V8 value out of it, and when your engine is damaged due to a crash dont expect them to pay XXX amount of dollars to replace a V8 engine, expect to get v6 engine value if that were the case.
        Bad idea. The insurance company can easily deny you coverage, even if its a minor fender bender that had nothing to do with the engine at all. You're basically skimming cheap insurance for a V6 car that has no V6 anymore, and there is a reason why the rates are what they are for whatever car/engine/options there is.

You ALWAYS have to tell the insurance company whenever something is done to the car, ALWAYS. Either you do tell them, or they can find loopholes to deny coverage.
        1995 Pontiac Firebird
        2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Is there a good chance that if I do this swap, that they will refuse to cover the car or charge me an ob surd rate?

Comment

If you slap on a turbo they can't say nuttin. :rock:

Comment

Just call up your insurance company and ask. Also from what I remember when I was quoted there wasn't a big difference between a v6 and a v8 rate. (My age is what really screwed me over.)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4grapeofwrath View Post
                If you slap on a turbo they can't say nuttin. :rock:
                wrong, thats considered a major modification used for racing as well...if they were to find that in the event of a collision you'd also be shafted.

Actually, just recently my buddies insurance sent out an adjuster to just "check" into his car. He hadnt got into a collision or anything, they just requested a random inspection if he were to continue being insured with them.

Not sure if they would outrageously raise your rates, best thing is to tell them what you are thinking about doing...give em a couple scenarios and see what they say.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
                  I was wondering if I did this, would they deny me coverage because my car was modified or how should this be performed? If I were ever to be involved in an accident, would they look to see its not a V6 anymore or what? I have Nationwide Auto
                  If you haven't swapped already, just ask your agent; If he's cool, he'll say to go ahead an do it so he doesn't have to raise your rates and make you compare rates. They don't make their money insuring high risk people with crazy rates, rather just insuring more and more people.

Chances are in the event of a claim, your insurance company won't want to invest the time and money in an investigation to deny your claim. Large insurance companies have adjusters that don't really care, pay out fast, and move on.
                  <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/sac2165\" target=\"_blank\"> CAMAROS</a>

Comment

definitely tell them or it may throw red flags if you are in an accident and they discover the engine is different than what was insured. They won't drop you for swapping an engine. If they do then your insurance co. is a joke anyways, lol. You will most likely have to pay more each month however
                    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

As with ANY CAR doing a serious engine modifcation will deny you coverage automatically.

They will refer you to speciality companys for coverage like Hagerity auto insurance for classics and such. Honestly I would prefer collector car insurance for basic Allstate and such because those companys really don't know the value of our cars like they would.

However doing any performance modifcation to any car can get your coverage dropped regardless. Most companys will not insurance a car that they know is a higher risk to them.

Its all about the risk factor when it comes to insurance.

The best thing you can do is put in a V8 and don't tell the insurance company sh!t. however keep in mind if you wreck your vehicle you lost it.

The best thing you can also do is sometimes the insurance write offs will allow you to pic the parts from the vehicle right after its been totalled, perhaps you can get the V8 out of it before it becomes a write off. Again it all depends on what coverage you have.

Comment

I smell fish.
                        #1:1999 pewter metallic y87 rs A4 camaro.check out the pics on the link below<br />#2:Bright red 1979 Pontiac Trans Am. Brand new 400 cubic inch Pontiac Motor. All work done by me, except the engine work.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133</a>

Comment

I'm not having any luck. I told Nationwide what I was doing and they told me if I did it, I would no longer be covered under their insurance policy and paying a higher rate would not be an option. I asked Geico and got the exact same answer... They won't cover the vehicle if I change the engine OR turbo it.... What can I do? How do you guys get away with modding cars?
                          Last edited by Need4Camaro; 08-09-2010, 03:48 PM.

Comment

If it was me, I wouldn't even tell them. They will go off the vin. If something happens, tell them you know nothing of the engine swap... They can't prove YOU swapped it and thaty you didn't purchase it like that. Just a suggestion, but that seems stupid because a lot of people do engine swaps in all different kinds of cars. If I was to downgrade my 5.4 liter Triton in my 06 expedition and put the 4.6 in, does that mean I shouldn't be able to be legally insured? My brother also has an expedition, an older one, and his original engine blew, so he bought a smaller engine out of a mercury grand marquis, and got his insured still. It isn't a performance modification either really, because it is a stock engine at the end of the day, just out of a different Camaro.
                            #1:1999 pewter metallic y87 rs A4 camaro.check out the pics on the link below<br />#2:Bright red 1979 Pontiac Trans Am. Brand new 400 cubic inch Pontiac Motor. All work done by me, except the engine work.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
                              I'm not having any luck. I told Nationwide what I was doing and they told me if I did it, I would no longer be covered under their insurance policy and paying a higher rate would not be an option. I asked Geico and got the exact same answer... They won't cover the vehicle if I change the engine OR turbo it.... What can I do? How do you guys get away with modding cars?

DON'T TELL THEM *%*&!:rant:

Like I said the more performance mods you do to your car the bigger risk you are to them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X