Suspicious electricity bill...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspicious electricity bill...

So, my wife and I live in a 1200 sq. ft. apartment, and our normal electricity bill is about $40-50 a month. Then, our May-June bill was $85, even though we never turned the air on, which was higher than our Christmas bill when our lights, heat, etc. were on all the time. I called them, and they said, "Well, it is summer... oh, you're not using your air... are you using a dehumidifier... oh... well, it's still summer..." or I heard "you must have an appliance going out..."

Then, for June-July, we were out of town for 2 weeks of that billing month and had everything unplugged, and low and behold, the bill when we get back - $105.... So, I call them again, tell them that I think something is going wrong, and whether it be the meter, or the reading device, or something, that we aren't using that much electricity, etc. They respond "Well, it is summer... are you sure that you aren't using an air conditioner or dehumidifier... an appliance must be going out..."

Fast forward to this morning. I go to mess with the breaker to troubleshoot, I hit the AC breaker, and our neighbor's AC turns off (apartment). I turn it back on, their air goes back on. I then did this 3-4 more time, and surely enough, their air conditioner is hooked to our breaker. We informed maintenance, and they said that will get right on it (they are pretty quick to respond).

End of the story, there have been three times when my family or I have received strangely high bills, and never once has it been due to us running an air conditioner, a dehumidifier, an appliance going out, or anything like that. I am curious, though, how this was missed for the 7-10 years since these apartments have been built... Anyway, in case anyone else is having strangely high electricity bills, I hope that this may help!

-Justin

Re: Suspicious electricity bill...

haha, dang. That sucks!

Good thing you got that figured out though, any refund from the apartment complex on your electricity bill for their mistake?
    *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

haha interesting. I was just going to tell you "its summer..." since my bill jumped from 50 to 150 this month :(
      Dave:
      00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
      97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

AZ the summer months are always higher about $300 a month, winter and spring about $150 or so, this is becuase APS added a 20% rate increase a few years back and just did another %15 for years they didn't raise the rates. So a 35% increase within 3 years will put a big impact on a electric bill. This was a 2100-2200 sqft. house with drip system and sprinklers. When I had my town house in 2000 I think the highest was like $125 in the summer 1200 sqft.
        Last edited by ssms5411; 07-21-2010, 07:58 PM.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

last month was $160 for me in my 2100 sqft house... thats keepin the air around 72 while im home and like 78 while im at work... i figure its worth payin for... after workin all day outside in 90-100 degree humidity, its nice to come home to a cold house...
          disclaimer: \"warning.. this post may contain somewhat of a funny comment if read properly... take my comment out of context at your own discretion...\"

Comment

a little off topic, but... make sure when you move out and call to have your electric bill taken out of your name that you get and keep some sort of confirmation number, and I would even call a week or so later to confirm it... When I moved out of my first apartment, I called to have it taken out of my name and got a confirmation # and everything, but for some reason it stayed in my name for another 7 months and I didn't find out until about 18 months after I moved and was trying to have the electricity for a different place put in my name.

just a little heads up...
            Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
            Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by dashboardrunner View Post
              last month was $160 for me in my 2100 sqft house... thats keepin the air around 72 while im home and like 78 while im at work... i figure its worth payin for... after workin all day outside in 90-100 degree humidity, its nice to come home to a cold house...

yep same here, we do 74 and 78
              Dave:
              97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

I bet your neighbor was thinking, "man, this a/c unit is very efficient, our bill is exactly the same in the summer as it was in the fall!"

That's good you figured it out. Is your a/c unit on your breaker as well or are they swapped with your neighbor?
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I'd burn that mother down!
                  <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

The electricians were here, they got the breakers and wiring redone so that it all works properly now, and for the hassle and cost, the apartment complex is taking $500 off our next month's rent, and they also said that on our next 1 year lease renewal, our contract will not include the recent 2% or so yearly rate increase. Overall, I am pleased with the result, and am glad that I didn't listen to the electric company on it.

T-Mill - Thanks for the heads up. I had never thought of that, but will make sure to so what you mentioned.

Schlotsky - My wife and I had the same thought. They were probably up there, "Crank it up!" Meanwhile we're downstairs using candles for light and thoughts of snow to stay cool.

-Justin

Comment

glad to hear you got it worked out. sounds like a nice little deal you struck too!
                      Dave:
                      97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Oh ****! Never thought of this! It used to be $50 ~ 70 then when someone moved in next door (yes I live in a trailer park :cry: ) it went to $120 ~ 150. And now that I think about it, it does seem to drop when it seems to be empty for a week or two (between ppl moving in). I mean really, I live in a 1 bed 1975 park model, how the hell can I take up that much power?!
                        sigpic
                        98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X