Anyone here who isn't into racing/speed? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here who isn't into racing/speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here who isn't into racing/speed?

Back when I owned my 1996 Z-28, I modified the hell out of that car and would go out on the weekends looking to race. I was 20-23 years old. Now that I am nearing 26, went through a year of unemployment hell and lost everything, things have changed. I now understand that I need to save my money, build my future and take care of my wife. When I got back on my feet I desperately wanted to buy another Camaro.. and so I did. I wanted an LS1, but I didn't need it. The 3800 V6 has enough power, is easier to work on and has been getting me from point A to point B without a problem. I recently retired the Camaro to weekend driver status as I took out a loan and bought a 2006 Buick LaCrosse to take over daily driving duties.

So.. I'm doing a few small performance and appearance modifications here and there to the Camaro. I have noticed that people still mess with me on the roads and highway looking for race just like they did when I drove the Z-28. Driving along side of me in a STI, revving at me in a Mustang GT, tailgating me in a Civic. They squeel tires when the light turns green as though they were anticipating I would do the same, only to find out that my take off was about as fast as a 78 year old man on his way to the pharmacy.

Is this something that I should expect to happen just because I drive a Camaro. To be honest, I don't care and I know how slow my car is. I want to be left the hell alone.

Who else shares my pain?

Re: Anyone here who isn't into racing/speed?

they feel the need to make their dongs feel bigger, ive pissed plenty of people off because they want to race and i just go about my business.

if they want to race, they can wait and see my *** at the track when i go, if not oh well, ive got timeslips that tell me how fast my car is, thats good enough for me.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
    Or this

Comment

High five. That's exactly how I feel too. It would have been fun in high school.. but honestly I bought the car for fuel economy, not to go fast. Plus I've always liked the looks of them. I'm 26, lost my job months ago, and basically trying to get back on my feet. I don't need a speed-racer right now. When I do, it'll be for the track, not on the street racing high school kids.

I'm finding it pretty funny that a lot of people pull up just like you said and want to race. It's getting slightly annoying now. My car is slow. I know this and I don't care. And people should quit asking what I'm going to do to it. I'm gonna drive it to get to where I need to go, that's what I'm doing to it.

Comment

It was actually more fun when I had my 89 Cavalier bc if they pulled up next to me and wanted to race (just because I was young, not because my car was fast) I would just swerve at them after about 10 ft and they would hang back after that...
        Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
        Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

I don't care for speed or racing someone either, but I will continue modding it when I get a chance. I care more about the appearance now and keeping it looking like a brand new car.

Mine is for my satisfaction.

But I tell you when I first bought my bird as a brand new car I was racing every car I get next too. I was beating it and having fun with it because I was going to trade it in for a Formula after I finish paying it. But I lost control and hit the wall. I felt really bad. After I got the car back from the shop I made up my mind in keeping it and started modding it.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

I've never dignified any street racing challenges. I'll do the same thing- roll off the white line like a geezer looking for the Country Kitchen Buffet. I haven't been challenged by anything decent yet (no STIs or mustangs), so my philosophy so far has been "why should I humor this ricer idiot in his mom's whip with a race? My car looks freakin AWESOME!" (yeah I'm full of myself but I love the visual design of 4th gen firebirds more than 99.99% of everything else on the street around here). Hey, if you love your car enough you don't need to race to feel like a baller :excited:
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Heywood View Post
              Hey, if you love your car enough you don't need to race to feel like a baller :excited:
              lol, well said. :p

i'll admit that i've seen my days of looking for trouble when i was first getting into cars, and every once in a while i'll get the urge, but i've learned to get my thrills on the twisties (and soon to be track) rather than the stoplights. there aren't a lot of well taken care of fbodies in town here, so even the 3.8 gets it's share of attention when i'm out riding, and i get a lot of "interest" from other drivers looking for trouble even just cruising. guys around here see a decently modded camaro that's loud and well kept, and want to see if i'll run them, especially at night when they see halos, bright hid's, and all they know is it's really loud.

i actually get pretty irritated when people assume i'm there to race them at stoplights --- i get launched on all the time when i'm just sitting there driving normally. and with full exhaust and open cutout, ricers and other pseudo car guys assume i'm flooring it when i'm really shifting below the power band, so i get a ton of guys downshifting beside me and revving when i'm just rowing the gears normally --- but i understand it's all out of curiousity for what i'm packing.
              pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
              gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

I've never been one to street race.. Admittedly I did run against a few guys that initiated the race when I first got the car, of which I never lost, but that's mostly because they were crappy civics and once a prius. But yes, people see a nice, fast-looking car and want to race. Honestly though, I bought the car for the looks, not the engine. It does what I need it to do, and looks great doing it, and that's more what I care about.
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky View Post
                  and once a prius
                  lol...

Yea I'm in the same boat as most of you, I used to humor some people back when I first got the car in high school, but haven't been into it since my Senior year when I started modding, mostly for appearance. I like being able to pass cars easily if I need to and occasionally go a little fast on the back roads to blow off some steam, but I don't race...
                  Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                  Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

im there too. all i did was drive like an idiot from the age of 19-23. then she was the weekend car for a couple year. and i drove like an idiot only on the weekends. now for the past few years she is only out on PERFECT days.

i don't have the heavy foot even when i get in the car. i don't street race AT ALL. idiots try to race me everytime, i just look at them and laugh. pisses them off lol.

in the end, i love my son far more than my camaro. i know the risks of racing and nothing is worth it.

i'll just stick to my mali-booty
                    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

This thread makes me ROFL. Much fail found here.

America loves speed, hot nasty bad *** speed - Eleanor Roosevelt
                      <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Right there with you... when I ordered the car, I really thought I was going to regret not getting the Z28....it's been 8 years....and I sometimes wish it was faster....but I know that I would probably not have a license of be dead by now.... I have always had a problem with speed, and with 2 kids a house and responsibilities..... i don't regret it. I love my car....I always get people asking about it and eyeballing me.... I do get the kids who pull up next to me at the light....it's hard to not want to mess with them, and yeah, sometimes I do..... but not often....it's more important to me to keep my car looking and running good! I do wish it was louder though...
                        sigpic

2002 Camaro Convertible - Stock!

Comment

i drive slow...i had my z28 cuz i like the sound of the exhaust and know i have a fast car...but i never actually used its power

Comment

No matter what, with a car that looks like it performs, there will always be someone wanting to play. I got in A LOT of trouble, point-wise with my '79 (roughly 14 pts) way back when. Then it hit me. What do I care how fast the other guy is? Is there anything at that next light that's going to make my life better by flying with my hair on fire? Most times not. When I did street race, all that'd happen is either one or the both of us got popped. I nearly lost the license and my car once by trippling the speed limit and for what? WAY higher insurance, always being followed by the local PD and being rushed out of every parking lot around, oh, but I was fast and willing to run.....so?

It was stupid, so in time I learned to let them be stupid. Started with running up the R's at lights and watching the moron beside me take off and get popped and soon after, I just ignored. Still got the '79 for the strip and the '96 looking sharp and no amount of racing or acting foolish on the road is going to make that any better or worse and since it don't mean a thing, it isn't worth my time, money or effort. Especially with a marriage, house and family.

I love hearing both cars run and enjoy listening to the motor hum as it runs down the road and being able to say that I made it happen. The '79 is a good bracket car and the '96 is smooth, slick and efficient. That's heaven and "winning" enough for me nowdays.

Comment

Steddy, I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X