My Build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Build.

Step one was to acquire a cheap V6 5spd 4th gen. That was accomplished with the purchase of this 1997 3.8L 5spd ricer out Camaro.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g6...3/IMG_7478.jpg

The next step was to basically remove everything. This proved the be the easiest part as it only took 2 hours from driving on to the lift to what you see here with the whole drivetrain on jack stands.

From there the 3.23, open drum rear was discarded and replaced by one built with LS brakes, an Auburn Pro gear carrier, and 3.42 gears.

At this point the real tear down began which involved stripping it to the long block. Once everything was apart re-assembly could begin. It started off with installed LS6 spring + retainers, 1.9 Rockers, replacement Timing set, new valve seals, and removal of the balance shaft. The balance shaft journal was plugged with a bushing I had lying around that happened to be the perfect size.

Next assembly continued along with cleaning everything, and media blasting what I could. new parts included in this stage are; all new seals and gaskets, poly motor mounts, new plugs and wires, 180 thermostat, plugging the EGR hole, Pacesetter headers, and a new oil pan.

Then it was just a matter of putting everything back together with the fallowing parts list:
    Moog front LCA bushings
    98+ brakes all around
    Z28 springs and shocks
    35mm front sway bar
    24mm rear sway bar
    poly sway bar busings and links
    poly trans mount
    poly torque arm mount
    3rdgen 1LE aluminum driveshaft with new U-joints
    replaced bellhousing
    Ebay CAI
    Removed all NVH weighs
    Removed all emissions provisions

Today was her first test drive, and other than some noise form the left front suspension she seems fine. On Wednesday she will be getting a tune From Shon Herron, but for now I'll work on getting the factory hood and spoiler painted and put back on to finish the de-ricing.

Re: My Build.

it almost looks too easy...

I don't think I like that haha

Comment

looking good ,except for that wing, destroy it.LOL For the double roller I think you should leave the tensioner off so it doesn't get chewed up. Any reason LS6 springs instead of Comp 130lbers? Also why not go with a cam to get better performance than the 1.9 rockers? Get that dexcool crap out of the block , whats the goal of the car? I 'm just saying if your spending the time to drop eveything out and rebuild it , might as well go all out with a power plant in there. J/K LOL Its your car Good luck with it.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
        looking good ,except for that wing, destroy it.LOL For the double roller I think you should leave the tensioner off so it doesn't get chewed up. Any reason LS6 springs instead of Comp 130lbers? Also why not go with a cam to get better performance than the 1.9 rockers? Get that dexcool crap out of the block , whats the goal of the car? I 'm just saying if your spending the time to drop eveything out and rebuild it , might as well go all out with a power plant in there. J/K LOL Its your car Good luck with it.
        The goal is to use ti to compete in NASA Tine Trials. The rules for classing are why I didn't add a cam or use the double roller timing chain.

I went with the LS6 springs because I had a new set just lying around.

That god awful wing is already long good, and the hood will be gone soon as well. I've been painting their replacements today. :)

Comment

this thread is going much better than the last thread about a car undertaking drastic changes. unique96 started bad and then took interstate fail to the jesus christ wtf exit right on down to someone please kill it street.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
          Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
            this thread is going much better than the last thread about a car undertaking drastic changes. unique96 started bad and then took interstate fail to the jesus christ wtf exit right on down to someone please kill it street.
            And bibby you did a fantastic job at killing it.

Comment

that was in-tents!!! like camping
              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
                Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                that was in-tents!!! like camping
                *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

Well I haven't update this in a while...

First it went:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g6...3/IMG_8203.jpg
                  http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g6...3/IMG_8197.jpg
                  http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g6...3/IMG_8198.jpg

Then it went:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6vGWBWuBaM

Comment

WOW! :eek: That's some serious carnage there! How did that happen?

Last pic looks bad azz. Love the black Camaro with an Iroc Z28 following behind.
                    Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Originally posted by 96RS Alex View Post
                      WOW! :eek: That's some serious carnage there! How did that happen?

Last pic looks bad azz. Love the black Camaro with an Iroc Z28 following behind.
                      Well it spun a rod, so i decided to finish it off. it didn't like 4k rpms for a few minutes, after it blew I still dove it back to my shop. :)

Comment

so i watched you drive around road atlanta for all of the 18 minutes...i can't wait to get home and swap a 5 speed into my car.
                        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                          so i watched you drive around road atlanta for all of the 18 minutes...i can't wait to get home and swap a 5 speed into my car.
                          If you're bored there are four other sessions you could watch. :p

Comment

A couple updates:

It now has a custom grind Comp Cams, cam. springs to match, custom tune.

This week it got a eaton trutrac diff, 3.73 gears, and GTP injectors.

Comment

When are you doing the NASA again?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X