South Florida fauna - rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Florida fauna - rant

Ok, so our house is under assault from swarms of thousands of ants. We're hitting them back hard, but they keep popping up lately.

No sign of the rats in the attic lately.

Possums and skunks visit the yard frequently.

Armadillos occasionally burrow around the sod.

In the summer, our street is littered with hundreds of dead toad corpses. The toads hop into the street daily and become pancakes when cars drive by. They also leave little piles of poop in our porch.

The skinks have been less noticeable lately.

The snails get crunched in our driveway.

The gators usually stay put in the ponds.

Every six months or so, a snake will wind up in the pool skimmer.

The squirrels keep ripping the screen enclosure every so often. It is funny when one rips the screen and falls into the pool.

Thousands of geckos and lizards.

And that's not to mention all of the other bugs besides the ants, especially the ever-present spiders.

If we did nothing, the place would be overrun within a month or two.
    I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
    CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Re: South Florida fauna - rant

i have the same ant problem at my house. I opened up the dishwasher the other day and they were in it!! I have lost about 2 pizzas to them, and other misc. items that get left on the counter. It is bugging the ever living hell out of me.
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
      i have the same ant problem at my house. I opened up the dishwasher the other day and they were in it!! I have lost about 2 pizzas to them, and other misc. items that get left on the counter. It is bugging the ever living hell out of me.
      get some of that terro stuff, its a borax solution and is awesome

i used to have ant problems really bad, and once i started using that they are gone within 3 days and i dont see them for the rest of the summer

Comment

I tried to fight the ants in our yard at our previous house in Pensacola, but it was a losing battle and being that we were only renting, I gave up.

The absolute worst thing here in TX are the mosquitos. My legs are covered in bites from walking the dog or just going or a jog. I got 2 bites just a few minutes ago and I was only on my porch for 30 seconds.
        sigpic
        1997 Camaro RS A4
        2006 Chevy Colorado
        2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown View Post
          I tried to fight the ants in our yard at our previous house in Pensacola, but it was a losing battle and being that we were only renting, I gave up.

The absolute worst thing here in TX are the mosquitos. My legs are covered in bites from walking the dog or just going or a jog. I got 2 bites just a few minutes ago and I was only on my porch for 30 seconds.

I just moved to DFW. My wife hates the 820 daily drivers (she says its the I-820 speedway). No bug problems here...yet. However, I did find a tarantula in my front right wheel the other day...

I ate a bowl of fail this morning.
          Quarter Million Mile Club

Comment

Down here in Miami...

Possums... Yup

Raccoons as well, and they are mean as hell.

Lizards... Yup

Geckos... Yup

The gators usually stay put in the ponds... Yup, Thank God

And we have lots of Ducks around here and they crap everywhere...

Comment

dayyyyum.

we just got mosquitoes down here, lots and lots of mosquitoes. and the occasional neighborhood cats that like to sleep on the hood of my car.

I've been thinking of camping out one night in the camaro and when they come ima spray the water and pop my hood up.
              1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
              1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
              1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
              2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

We used to see Coyotes and skunks all time, but they soon disappeared because of all the housing developing that's been going on around here. From time to time we do see some Mountain Lions, but they've been shot, so no more.

I do feel bad for those animals because we've moved in to their territory and now they are disappearing.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

I hate ants!!!!

Stupid relentless little devils.
                  I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                  CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                  FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown View Post

get rid of all the standing water you can in your area...bird baths etc...thats where they breed...or put aquaboc in the bird baths...it wont harm the birds but it will kill the mosquito larva...make sure your culverts (if you have them are draining properly...anything that holds standing water they will lay eggs...each egg raft has a couple hundred mosquitoes...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X