Speeding ticket without radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeding ticket without radar

A couple weeks ago, I was pulled over in Maryland on I-95. A cop was driving beside me on an empty highway about 9:30pm on a Sunday night. Knowing it would be a bad idea to pass the officer, I tried not to. On a left curve on the highway, I inched pass the officer because I was in the inside lane. After my full car had completely passed the officer, she pulls me over. She "claimed" that she was going 65 in a 55 and I passed her (which I believe was totally bogus because I had my cruise control set below that). She writes me up for 70 in a 55, which is even more bogus because I couldn't have been going more than 1mph greater than her speed. My actual speed was probably about 63mph, but I was ticketed for going 70.

My options are to plead guilty, and the judge will give me probation before judgement and take away any points (I have a squeaky clean driving record), or plead innocent and try to get out of it. Any suggestions?

(I already know I'm an idiot for passing a cop)
    Britney Spears is the HOTTest girl in the world!<br /><br />2000 Camaro 3.8L Y87<br />Flowmaster 80 American Thunder catback<br />Magnaflow Carsound Catalytic Converter<br />SLP Ram Air Cold Air Intake<br />Whisper Lid<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/freestylin59\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/freestylin59</a>

Re: Speeding ticket without radar

can u plead guilty to a lesser charge? lol

Comment

Probation for speeding? didn't know that was an option... sounds like something a lawyer would eat up, but otherwise, idk... If you honestly think you weren't speeding, then fight it, but since you already admit you were going about 63 in a 55 then you are guilty so I'd take the offer... but it's 50/50

Gotta love Wright State, I get access to a lawyer for $8 a quarter
      Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
      Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

I passed a cop once on 485 beltway around Charlotte a couple years ago. He was in the slower lane with a line of cars slowing down to exit on 74. He pulled off the expressway and raced back on a pulled me over. I was doing 72 in a 65 which is by the letter over the limit. He gave me a lecture on passing a cop. I just agreed it was stupid, kept my hands on the steering wheel and basically said yes sir, yes sir. In the end he didn't even ask for my license and didn't write me up. Guess he just wanted to grip. I actually was holding up traffic in the fast lane when I crept by him.

Comment

A lot of times, if you are respectful and have a decent judge, if you just explain your case, they will cut the fine down, and possibly reduce the points as well. Bottom line is that you passed in the slow lane and were above the speed limit. So you are guilty, and it's the cops judgement against yours. Chances are you won't win. If you saw the cop, why wouldn't you slow down to the limit to avoid the possibility of getting the ticket?
          sigpic
          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
          1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

whats your email i will fwd something to you that got me out of a case just like it :)
            2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
            1991 3000GT VR4
            2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Originally posted by vr4gasm View Post
              whats your email i will fwd something to you that got me out of a case just like it :)
              you're gunna email him a pic of you giving the judge a BJ???

J/K :p

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
              1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by vr4gasm View Post
                PM sent
                Britney Spears is the HOTTest girl in the world!<br /><br />2000 Camaro 3.8L Y87<br />Flowmaster 80 American Thunder catback<br />Magnaflow Carsound Catalytic Converter<br />SLP Ram Air Cold Air Intake<br />Whisper Lid<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/freestylin59\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/freestylin59</a>

Comment

thats sucks man, i think you should fight it, where i live there is a big difference between 15 over and 8 over, id try to argue the 70mph

you ever get tailgated by a cop on a 2 lane road?
                  i hate that!

Comment

normally they have to put on the ticket what evidence that they have that you were speeding, and normally its radar. go contest it, cause the cop doesnt have hard evidence that you were going exactly 70.
                    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                      normally they have to put on the ticket what evidence that they have that you were speeding, and normally its radar. go contest it, cause the cop doesnt have hard evidence that you were going exactly 70.
                      I actually meet an officer that went trough a couple of tests, because he took someone to jail for going way to far over the speed limit. So judge ordered the test. He apparently passed and dude was screwed in court.

But he still said, 'without that gun, Its almost to easy to lose in court.'

But Id think Id chose anything over have probation on my record. I think yuor looking at a 50/50/50, no telling which way it might go... GL
                      sigpic
                      98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Got to love Kentucky, you can ask for traffic school once a year.

Comment

cops can nail you by speed matching. might not be the most accurate but it'll pass in court especially if they show up.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                          Or this

Comment

my best friend got pulled over for going supposedly 80 in a 55, with no radar used by the cop. The cop testified that he saw him from a distance on the hw and had to floor it up to almost 100mph to catch up......my friend was going 65. He argued it respectfully in court and was given just a warning
                            Robby
                            2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
                            sigpic

Comment

i feel like if i contest the ticket, it would end up being my word against the cops word, in which case ill lose. whatever happens, id rather have probation than points on my license. i think you're less likely to receive probation if you plead innocent and lose than if you plead guilty with explanation.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X