Me vs. S2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me vs. S2000

I had some good runs with an S2000 the other day. Quite interesting. It was funny, it was an old guy, with like a 3-5 year old in the passenger seat (The only other seat in the car I might add :owned:) But anyways, I didnt think hed bite, but I took off a little aggresivly so he could hear me, and know what was going on. Well he did take bite, so now that Im at like 2500rpms in first gear, I nail it, and slam second, and he never caught me. It was close but never caught me. Ok, but we were actually going through a semi-neighborhood. :eek: I know this road, and there are 3 stop signs ahead of us. :D Anyways, we stop, and I give him another go. It was almost the same, but he was more ready this time and just inched me for the next stop sign, where the same thing happened, and then on the last one he held up his index finger. I dont know what that means, I think he was telling me to go first, but I just eased off the line (not fast at all), but he launched hard (for an S2000) and after he launched hard and me not doing the super 275's plus posi launch he took me and probably pulled a car or car and half. It surpirsed me. I thought those things were at least LT1 terrority. But now that I think about it, if the guy didnt know how to drive it (Which he probably didnt) Then it would be really easy to mess up a race in an S2000. For example if you only went to 7000 and then shifted, and missed more than half of your VTEC range, which is the only way that engine makes power. All in all it was fun, didnt think the old guy would do anything. ;)
    Jordan<br />15.09@90.7<br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=21\" target=\"_blank\"><b>1995 Camaro 3.4 M5</b></a>

I believe car and driver tested the S2000 at 14.7, although that is from memory so I could be wrong.

VTEC doesn't make power, it simply uses the power it has more efficiently because at high RPM's it engages a solenoid that causes a dummy rocker arm to lock in place and is now hit by a previously unused cam lobe which causes the cam profile to be more suited for the high RPM's. It's actually quite clever.

Anyway, I may as well be the first one to ask it. What the hell are you doing trying to get a guy to race who has a 3-5 year old in the car with him? Shame on you, and shame on him for racing in that situation.

S2000's are no slouches, it would tear you up on a road course.

Nice kill though.
    SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Comment

it'd prolly fly by you like you were standing still once you shifted into 3rd [img]tongue.gif[/img]
      They're not very torque-y cars, but still nice.
      <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

sh!t, I dont give a crap if he had a child in the car. Its his discretion, not mine. Probably giving the kid a joyride. I dont care. And I disagree with your VTEC philosophy. Its a good idea, and its a bad idea. It helps the car have pretty aggressive cam specs without hurting engine reliability, and efficiency(gas mileage). But it is retarded, because all it does is sell cars. Plain and simple. They say, "YEAH THE CIVIC SI HAS 160 HP!!!!!" When it actually makes 160 hp for a whole 1 rpm, with a CRAPPY *** power curve, and somehwere in the neighborhood of 105ftlb torque. But it still comes down to if that guy was short shifting or whatever, he was easily making somewhere in the neighborhood of 220 max hp, and since he is not a car and driver professional driver, he was easily running mid 15's right next to me. Now I agree he would walk me on top end, and probably a road course, be we werent exactly road racing were we. Thats like ****ing 80hp miatas getting there asses spanked by corollas and sh!t, but then saying they can outhandle them. Who gives a ****. :rolleyes:
        Jordan<br />15.09@90.7<br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=21\" target=\"_blank\"><b>1995 Camaro 3.4 M5</b></a>

Comment

S2000's are no slouches, it would tear you up on a road course.
          I should have probably had put "our cars" (speaking of V6 Camaro's) instead of "you" so you didn't think I was directing that at you. I was speaking in generalities. I was just giving props where props were due, it is a nice handling car.

You may want to read up a little more on variable valve timing (what vtec is). I don't think you are giving that technology the appreciation it deserves. It really solves a lot of issues with engine building. Don't discount the technology just because ricers who have it think it means they can beat anything on the road (most of them probably don't even know what it does). It really is a sound idea.

I stand by my statement about the kid, you could have used adult judgement as well in that situation. Just because he was irresponsible doens't mean you had to be. It wasn't like a girlfriend or wife being in the car, they are adults and voluntarily aligned themselves with the person. The kid had no choice in the matter.
          SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Comment

**** our cars could use some VTEC between 5-6000 rpms.........lol

Comment

where did u get a gm performance parts cam???? how much was it and what are the specs for it? i bever knew they had them for 6's.......sorry to hijack
              V-SEX!<br /><br />intake/exhaust ;)<br />plenty appearence<br /><br />Within my grasp: 14\'s :)

Comment

2000 Honda S2000 5.5 14.2
                2003 Honda S2000 6.3 14.9 (Manual)

this is from..
                http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html
                ..check out the 2000..damn..i've raced two of these and killed them..must have been the driver..however..i give the VTEC the props it deserves..one of my best races was against a VETC Civic..stayed right with me all the way up to 100mph ..then he slowwwly started dropping behind..and at about 115 - 120mph i had about 4 car lengths on him..this was on the open 3.08 and race weight still 3500lbs...the S2000s are pretty cool cars..a little too small for me though..like a mid-life crisis car
                <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

Originally posted by 1DangerousV6:
                  2000 Honda S2000 5.5 14.2
                  2003 Honda S2000 6.3 14.9 (Manual)

this is from..
                  http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html
                  ..check out the 2000..damn..i've raced two of these and killed them..must have been the driver..however..i give the VTEC the props it deserves..one of my best races was against a VETC Civic..stayed right with me all the way up to 100mph ..then he slowwwly started dropping behind..and at about 115 - 120mph i had about 4 car lengths on him..this was on the open 3.08 and race weight still 3500lbs...the S2000s are pretty cool cars..a little too small for me though..like a mid-life crisis car
                  Old thread, I know, but I was looking for a thread like this since I am an S2000 owner.

As you see from the two different road tests, the S2000 is EXTREMELY driver dependent. Launching it is very tricky.

Stock S2K's under optimal conditions turn high 13's. Low to mid 14's are very common. Anything higher is just a pathetic driver.

The REAL joy of the S is the road course. Perfectly balanced car.

As a former owner of a V6 maro, I can tell you that fairly extreme mods would be required to get to S2000 performance territory. Many of you have already gotten there or better from an acceleration standpoint, but most probably under the spray or some kind of forced induction.

One of the weak links of the S is the 4:10 rear gear. Its a compromise gear. Throw in a 4.57 or 4.77 and mid-thirteens are attainable. The S responds to the gear change so well because you need to spool up to the 6000rpm VTEC engagement as fast as possible. Makes a large effect in doing exactly that.
                  1998 Sport Gold Metallic Camaro 3.8

Comment

Originally posted by 93camaro_zzz:
                    sh!t, I dont give a crap if he had a child in the car. Its his discretion, not mine. Probably giving the kid a joyride. I dont care. And I disagree with your VTEC philosophy. Its a good idea, and its a bad idea. It helps the car have pretty aggressive cam specs without hurting engine reliability, and efficiency(gas mileage). But it is retarded, because all it does is sell cars. Plain and simple. They say, "YEAH THE CIVIC SI HAS 160 HP!!!!!" When it actually makes 160 hp for a whole 1 rpm, with a CRAPPY *** power curve, and somehwere in the neighborhood of 105ftlb torque. But it still comes down to if that guy was short shifting or whatever, he was easily making somewhere in the neighborhood of 220 max hp, and since he is not a car and driver professional driver, he was easily running mid 15's right next to me. Now I agree he would walk me on top end, and probably a road course, be we werent exactly road racing were we. Thats like ****ing 80hp miatas getting there asses spanked by corollas and sh!t, but then saying they can outhandle them. Who gives a ****. :rolleyes:
                    And while I am at it, how wrong you are about VTEC, at least in regard to the S2000.

It is precisely the VTEC system that allows the 4 cyl naturally aspirated engine to make 240 horses without compromising low end drivability. If you ran the "hot" cam profile from idle, there would be NO usuable torque at all. As it stands the torque below 6000 is just "normal" for a 4 banger.

And unlike the other Hondas with VTEC, the S2000 turns into A BEAST when VTEC engages. You hear it and feel it all the way to 9000 RPM. Shift at redline and you stay in VTEC, and you are in holy **** mode.

I guarantee you that if I were driving the S, you would have gotten spanked.

And yes, still able to out handle you. Hell, even short shifting I could outrun you badly on a road course. How do you think I lost my V6 camaro? Totalled it trying to drive it like the S through a corner [img]smile.gif[/img]
                    1998 Sport Gold Metallic Camaro 3.8

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by goldenfbodyboy:
                      And unlike the other Hondas with VTEC, the S2000 turns into A BEAST when VTEC engages. You hear it and feel it all the way to 9000 RPM. Shift at redline and you stay in VTEC, and you are in holy **** mode.

I guarantee you that if I were driving the S, you would have gotten spanked.

And yes, still able to out handle you. Hell, even short shifting I could outrun you badly on a road course. How do you think I lost my V6 camaro? Totalled it trying to drive it like the S through a corner [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      I'll agree with him. I never liked the S2000 until I took one for a joyride (friend works at a used car dealership so I get to take for rides anything that comes in ;) [img]smile.gif[/img] ). There's a severe lack in power down low and even launching it with a clutch drop at 7000rpms (felt so wrong [img]graemlins/naughty.gif[/img] ) it bogged a bit but once you hit in the upper RPM band this car is FUN to drive. It's no torque monster but it's got some topend pull and the cornering of this car is amazing.

I love my SRT-4 for it's straightline power and would never sacrifice for a car with very little torque but I must say this car is AWESOME TO DRIVE! I've found a new respect for the S2000 after riding one hard...windows down...top down...no radio just the screaming motor...and taking turns very quickly and keeping the car in the powerband = very fun drive. CLosest thing to a motorcycle with four wheels. :cool:
                      2004 Dodge SRT-4<br />Turbo Swapped!<br />11.85 @ 122.8<br />Retired: 1999 Camaro Y87<br />15.21 @ 89

Comment

ahhh the fun of S2000s. I drive these things on a daily basis, and let me tell you - without VTEC functioning, the cars literally do not run worth a ****. Period. We had an S2K in the shop with a blown VTEC solenoid that would start bucking like a crazed bull at about 5000rpms and would not rev any higher.. But anyways, yes, most drivers are scared to rev S2ks up to 9000rpms but when the proper driver gets behind the wheel, they're a blast. Still nothing I would own though. If it were up to me I'd take a Honda 3.5 VTEC V6, build an adapter for it to bolt up to the 6spd, and drop that ***** in an S2k... 250hp that pulls all the way to 6500rpms.. *nods*

God, I wish I wasn't a Honda tech sometimes, then I wouldn't have these crazy ideas about what I'd like to do to a Honda.. lol, back to my blue oval in the driveway!
                        Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Comment

Originally posted by 93camaro_zzz:
                          ...and then on the last one he held up his index finger. I dont know what that means, I think he was telling me to go first...
                          [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
                          1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X