just a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just a question

is it better to lauch with a auto to go 1, 2, then drive or just put it in drive and mash it down

just put it in drive and mash it
    RedlineVSix

Comment

I usually put it in drive and mash it. But I have heard on here before that people say that you should brake stand until about 2000 r.p.m's or so then launch that way.

Comment

Stall it to about 1800 on the stock verter then flash it on the 3rd light.
        2000 Firebird. Whisper Lid, True duals, TSP mail order tune, Built Tranny , TCI 2800 stall verter, B&M tranny cooler, Eaton LSD, 3.42 gears. Current best ET. 15.232 89.09 MPH 2.175 60ft on stock 3.42\'s and open diff.<a href=\"http://www.geocities.c

Comment

If you have the non-electric version of the 4L60, shift it manually. Since your car is a 94, shift it manually. Newer 4L60(e)s shift points are controlled by the computer but older models are hydraulically controlled by the valve body and are designed to be shifted manually. By shifting it manually, the trans builds more line pressure giving you a much firmer 1-2 and 2-3 shift. In the electric versions, the extra line pressure is dumped off as to not damage the internals. I am NOT saying that the increased line pressure will damage anything but that that is the reason why GM programmed the trans to dump the line pressure.

Comment

Just put it in drive and press the gas... thats all. Shifting wont help, leaving it out of OD wont help either. Just put it in drive and go.

Comment

Originally posted by hawgs:
              Just put it in drive and press the gas... thats all. Shifting wont help, leaving it out of OD wont help either. Just put it in drive and go.
              People just like making things difficult [img]tongue.gif[/img]
              Shawn<br />2002 Silver W68 Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by hawgs:
                what he said. It's called AUTOMATIC for a reason. If you want to shift gears go buy a manual.

Comment

i just mash the gas
                  2000 Navy Blue T-top Camaro A4<br />TSP Rumbler <br />Carsound Hi-flo Cat<br />!MAF screen<br />Whisper lid<br />HPP3

Comment

it says in the manual D gets more power than OD.. or something like that
                    ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

it says in the manual D gets more power than OD.. or something like that
                      The manual says nothing of the kind (at least mine doesn't). The only time my manual says to drive in D is under high load situations like towing. Having it in D simply means it won't shift into over drive. Having it in overdrive simply means that when possible the car will shift into OD to save fuel. At WOT it won't shift into overdrive.
                      SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Comment

The manual says nothing of the kind (at least mine doesn't).
                        Says it in mine. 1999 Firebird Manual, page 2-31:

" THIRD (3): This position is also used for normal driving, however, it offers more power and lower fuel economy than AUTOMATIC OVERDRIVE (D)."
                        Sick-Sixx Member<br />99 bright red Firebird, K&N filter, Flowmaster muffler with duel outlet.

Comment

It does not offer more power. In a sense it kind of does because it does not have to wait for the transmission to downshift and put it in the powerband, but its not like its making more power in 3rd or D... it just keeps it in the powerband.

4th gear is the overdrive gear and the purpose of that gear is to keep the RPMs as low as possible. Lower RPMs = better gas mileage.

3rd gear keeps the car in its powerband and doesnt let the car switch gears as easily like OD does to keep the RPMs low. It keeps the car in the powerband (higher RPMs) and hence the reason for lower fuel economy.

None of this matters at WOT though, just put your car in OD and press the gas and go. Simple as that.

Comment

Says it in mine. 1999 Firebird Manual, page 2-31:
                            Ok, our manuals will be a little different then. I found out from another post a few weeks ago that Firebirds only have one D.

On the Camaros there is a D and then a D with a square around it (which is the overdrive).

I am uncertain if it is 4 gears + overdrive or 3 gears + overdrive.

Either way just follow Hawgs' advice and put it in D and mash it.
                            SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Comment

Yeah, I never really believed it really, that's what I do anyways is leave it in OD. Firebirds have a D, then a 3, 2 ,1.
                              Sick-Sixx Member<br />99 bright red Firebird, K&N filter, Flowmaster muffler with duel outlet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X