• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Y87 Firebird

1998 Y87 Firebird
    133,000 miles
    Automatic Transmission
    No longer for sale

The car runs and drives good at the moment but will need some work. I believe the intake manifold gasket is leaking antifreeze into the engine. Last spring my dexicool coolant turned into sludge, so I replaced almost every component of the cooling system: radiator, upper & lower radiator hoses, thermostat, water pump, and I flushed it several times and switched to the green coolant. Recently, my coolant has been disappearing and there have been no signs of it on the ground or on the engine (you can kinda smell it in the air while running). Even after I refill it, it keeps disappearing. So, I believe that to be the intake manifold gasket. I took it to a respectable mechanic nearby and he gave me a quote of about $570 total to fix it.

Aside from the coolant problem, it will also need the A/C serviced, as it recently stopped working. It could be either the compressor, fuse, or just need a recharge; I don't know. Also I got the p1404 code which I believe deals with the EGR valve.

Now, here is what all I've replaced/upgraded: brass headlight gear in driver-side headlight, Polk Audio 6 1/2" speakers in front doors (two way), Diamond Audio mid bass speakers 6 1/2" in sail panels, radiator, water pump, upper & lower radiator hoses, belt, thermostat, custom cold air intake with cone filter, and Trans-go shift for the transmission.

As mentioned above, I recently put the Trans-go shift kit in. The transmission started to throw the p1807 code and I decided to put the shift kit in because it included a valve to replace the worn out one. The car shifts perfectly fine now, no slips or anything and it is nice and firm. By the way, I used the 2nd setting in the kit (2 spacers).

Cosmetically, the car is in pretty good shape. There is only two minor flaws, and that is the tiny crack and scrap on the front left fender and bumper. I recently bumped into someone in the grocery store parking lot. At most I was only doing 2-3mph. The other minor flaw is a small crack in the top part of the dash. Other than that, the paint is in pretty good shape and still shines. I'm very meticulous about my car, I wash and vacuum it about every week or two. The interior has no stains or rips, I took very good care of it.

Maintenance wise, I've keep up with all the oil changes; there has only been a couple of times where I let it go 4k miles before I changed it. The tires were replaced in 2007 and I've rotated and balanced them every 5k miles since then. Other than that, I've taken good care my car; it has never been abused or anything like that.

I'm a broke college student and I'm running out of time and money to fix it. I hate to let the car go, I'm the second owner and I have owned it for 3 years now. I don't know what is really a fair price for it but I know the forum rules require a price, so I will just say $3000 obo.
    As I said before, the car runs and drives fine (idles good and no noises) but it will just need some work.

More pics can be found here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dedbob67...eat=directlink
    Last edited by frydbrain; 08-30-2009, 10:48 AM.

Re: 1998 Y87 Firebird

No longer for sale
    Last edited by frydbrain; 08-30-2009, 10:49 AM.

Comment

would you take 2500 and would it make the drive to houston with out breaking down on me? (it would be a hot drive)
      Last edited by 01camaro3.8; 08-29-2009, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Great price on the pretty 3.8l, shame I dont have the money or I would love to put a second one in my driveway. I hope a good pontiac lover finds this cause the lower intake gasket fix is very easy to do biggest thing is about 300 dollars in gaskets and including head gaskets and new valve seals I did my 3.8 by myself in two days i also went down to the block and replaced valve seals very easy fix for the big problem it fixes. Good Luck on selling

Comment

Thanks guys on the offer/comments but I recently discovered what the problems were and the car is no longer for sale at the moment. I might put it back up for sale after I fix the problems with an appropriate price. As for the problems, I found the leak where the coolant was coming out; it was the little plastic coolant elbow near the heater core. As for the A/C, I also found out what the problem was there too; it was a small hole on one of the metal A/C lines. Apparently one of the heater hoses was resting against the A/C line and it either melted it or vibrated against it causing it to wear a hole in it. The repairs don't sound too bad so I'll probably fix them this week.

Comment

Yeah I had the plastic elbow go bad in mine, easy fix just pull the alternator and the heater core hose mount the elbow is like 5 bucks at parts store comes with both. I had same problem with mine was like wahoo easy fix car is gtg month later still losing water but not in driveway now. So when I pulled my oil cap i noticed white milky residue read into it and it was bad lower intake gasket but hopefully that will fix your problem good luck. And the ac thing pfft who needs ac when you have ttops lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
              New Owner!
              by LETZRIDE
              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
              3 days ago
            • ssms5411
              Little work today
              by ssms5411
              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
              2 weeks ago
            • LETZRIDE
              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X