Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings!

Hi all -- figured I'd finally drop in.

I have a 2002 Turbo 3.8 running a custom fabbed GT40 on stock internals, sleeper car. Took quite a bit of time off having been a young professional in previously tight living quarters and not having space for this thing to be out of storage, but now I'm finally getting back into things and I'm stoked about it. Seeing the broader v6 community starting to dwindle for this year range, figured I'd stop by as I still always have questions I need to bounce off someone.

Look forward to chatting with you all. Pic for pleasure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	p2.jpg
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	1576665

She looks badass! How much is she putting to the wheels?

There are a few turbo guys kicking around here. Would be great to know more about your setup too!

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Nice, how much boost?
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Thanks guys!

Will share as I can while keeping it short. In a nutshell:
        • 2002 35th anniversary, A4
        • Custom T4 manifolds off an old FTv6 member (transaction back around ~2009 or so), wrapped in thermotec
        • Garrett GT4082 - a big boy but really has it's sweet spot through 2nd and 3rd on the A4. Custom intercooler and all that jazz.
        • TurboXS RFL; it's loud
        • 38mm gate running off a spring (needs to be replaced, as my boost is fluctuates depending on how long I lay into it); 12-15 lbs of boost;
        • Stock engine, 53k, still healthy as far as I can tell (custom kit bolted on around 45k)
        • 39lb Cobra injectors which I'm replacing with 60's, and a "GT 40" fuel pump (embarrassingly I'm having trouble remember what exactly this pump is due to a performance shop putting this thing in and not fully documenting what the part was, but as part of continuing this project I will find out when I rework the fuel system). Through driving this summer and last, I'm convinced these injectors are cutting out, and are being replaced in the next month.
        HP? It's a good question; I don't have it definitive at this point. Had the car dyno tuned last back in 2011 or so, had some issues throughout the day due to cheap clamps and couplers I had at the time popping off, but made 349whp that day with +400 ft lbs. Since that time long ago, getting back up and running, ridding of my stock coil packs, refreshing TR6 plugs and making a strong pull from 30 the car feels VERY strong, and I'm curious what it is at the moment. No engine knock, no weird cylinder issues. I can share recent vid's to get some perspective but I'd like to get updated numbers later this year.

Things I'm planning to do this year:
        • New injectors - likely 60lb's in place of the 39's as it'll support a larger build if I pursue it later on. My current are not only old and dirty imo, but in my mind seem to be cutting out which I have video of (i.e. cases of sputtering at higher RPM's in boost), so they are getting replaced regardless
        • New wastegate or spring - Need to bring boost back to normal (8-12lbs); I run off the spring.
        • HPT after the injectors for a retune that is needed (along with tranny tune) - Want to learn and don't want to rely on overpriced and micromanaged dyno tuning (though, maybe I've just had bad experiences in the past)
        • De-fluff my engine bay. I need to remove my larger AC unit still, and maneuver some of the clutter that is obstructing my intercooler piping
        • Catch can - I don't have one; therefore I spill a bit outside the breather. It isn't the worst thing in the world, but burning oil smells at a stoplight after some throttle isn't exactly ideal. This is more laziness to remove the valve covers on my part, supported by the PCV mod. I have slight oil dripping which I also need to investigate, hence the black cover on the floor in the previous photo
        • Future State - Perhaps a new rear end, and/or some engine mods if I can manage the above.
        Will likely make a separate pics/vids thread.
        Last edited by Spoolin; 06-23-2020, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Looks nice -
          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/sac2165\" target=\"_blank\"> CAMAROS</a>

Comment

Looks really good. Is that a custom kit you fabricated or did you get that from Tiago? Seeing that you're from ftv6 community, Tiago made a couple of kits from there and here as well.

Comment

Yeah , FFF kit , I should of bought one back then.They keep the A/C and heat but have to pull the manifolds to get to the valve covers I believe.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Do you have a wideband O2 setup with your Hptuners, so you can tune it?

Comment

Originally posted by Spoolin View Post
                  Thanks guys!

Will share as I can while keeping it short. In a nutshell:
                  • 2002 35th anniversary, A4
                  • Custom T4 manifolds off an old FTv6 member (transaction back around ~2009 or so), wrapped in thermotec
                  • Garrett GT4082 - a big boy but really has it's sweet spot through 2nd and 3rd on the A4. Custom intercooler and all that jazz.
                  • TurboXS RFL; it's loud
                  • 38mm gate running off a spring (needs to be replaced, as my boost is fluctuates depending on how long I lay into it); 12-15 lbs of boost;
                  • Stock engine, 53k, still healthy as far as I can tell (custom kit bolted on around 45k)
                  • 39lb Cobra injectors which I'm replacing with 60's, and a "GT 40" fuel pump (embarrassingly I'm having trouble remember what exactly this pump is due to a performance shop putting this thing in and not fully documenting what the part was, but as part of continuing this project I will find out when I rework the fuel system). Through driving this summer and last, I'm convinced these injectors are cutting out, and are being replaced in the next month.
                  HP? It's a good question; I don't have it definitive at this point. Had the car dyno tuned last back in 2011 or so, had some issues throughout the day due to cheap clamps and couplers I had at the time popping off, but made 349whp that day with +400 ft lbs. Since that time long ago, getting back up and running, ridding of my stock coil packs, refreshing TR6 plugs and making a strong pull from 30 the car feels VERY strong, and I'm curious what it is at the moment. No engine knock, no weird cylinder issues. I can share recent vid's to get some perspective but I'd like to get updated numbers later this year.

Things I'm planning to do this year:
                  • New injectors - likely 60lb's in place of the 39's as it'll support a larger build if I pursue it later on. My current are not only old and dirty imo, but in my mind seem to be cutting out which I have video of (i.e. cases of sputtering at higher RPM's in boost), so they are getting replaced regardless
                  • New wastegate or spring - Need to bring boost back to normal (8-12lbs); I run off the spring.
                  • HPT after the injectors for a retune that is needed (along with tranny tune) - Want to learn and don't want to rely on overpriced and micromanaged dyno tuning (though, maybe I've just had bad experiences in the past)
                  • De-fluff my engine bay. I need to remove my larger AC unit still, and maneuver some of the clutter that is obstructing my intercooler piping
                  • Catch can - I don't have one; therefore I spill a bit outside the breather. It isn't the worst thing in the world, but burning oil smells at a stoplight after some throttle isn't exactly ideal. This is more laziness to remove the valve covers on my part, supported by the PCV mod. I have slight oil dripping which I also need to investigate, hence the black cover on the floor in the previous photo
                  • Future State - Perhaps a new rear end, and/or some engine mods if I can manage the above.
                  Will likely make a separate pics/vids thread.
                  What are your thoughts for going with a rear end? I had my Ford 8.8 in mine that is now in my LS1 and have been pretty happy with it for the most part. Kept ABS this time around since the LS had the 4 channel abs sensors.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
                    Looks really good. Is that a custom kit you fabricated or did you get that from Tiago? Seeing that you're from ftv6 community, Tiago made a couple of kits from there and here as well.
                    These are actually manifolds made by a different member, not the FFF kit, which by the way I wish I had pulled the trigger on as well because I think I'd like the setup better.

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post

What are your thoughts for going with a rear end? I had my Ford 8.8 in mine that is now in my LS1 and have been pretty happy with it for the most part. Kept ABS this time around since the LS had the 4 channel abs sensors.
                    Haven't put too much thought into it quite yet, outside of researching the bolt in process in general. At minimum, something that can get both the tires moving. Looked into a 9 inch but I definitely still have some more learning to do in this area. Would appreciate any recommendations you might have. Would probably stick around the 3.42 gearing I currently have, and I also haven't counted out an LS swap in the future.

Toying with some things today and snapped some photos, planning to head to a large cruise this evening.

A bit tight, some drops on the (aging) wrap from the breather

Forget the intercooler dimensions but the size is perfect. Dismiss my ghetto bumper cover mounting :D

Downpipe routes under the k member, straight back to a magnaflow. You can notice some flat ground scrape at the bend; its very subtle. This had been happening just after this was fabbed. It's about as tight of a fit as it can be, but it's settled in and I rarely scrape anymore.

Rear

Like I said, it's a big boy but it fits in there very nicely. O2 sensor plug sits just beneath. Housing clears the radiator brace by about 1/8 inch

Comment

Looks good. Yeah I plan on running my Garrett GT35r with .63ar and a T4 with the eBay turbo headers only sad thing is I have to delete the A/C and heater , the heater hoses are going to go through my turbo since it’s water cooled.

Comment

Do you have those ebay manifolds already? I've only seen a video with one car that I believe had those bolted on, but have never been able to talk to anyone about them. I'm very curious of what those are like bolted in, not only from a clearance standpoint, but sound, flow and everything else. Additionally, once those are all sold out it may be the last we see of a nice bulk fab kit like that for a 3800 for quite some time.

Comment

Looks very clean. That's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoolin View Post
                            Do you have those ebay manifolds already? I've only seen a video with one car that I believe had those bolted on, but have never been able to talk to anyone about them. I'm very curious of what those are like bolted in, not only from a clearance standpoint, but sound, flow and everything else. Additionally, once those are all sold out it may be the last we see of a nice bulk fab kit like that for a 3800 for quite some time.
                            Yeah, I have the eBay turbo manifolds for about 2 years now . Coated them and wrapped them. There’s a few guys on here that’s running them. They look good, and so far are preforming well. I just need to ditch my A/C. And install them.

Comment

I regret getting rid of my v6 and getting my LS1. The LS1 is fun but the v6 had more character for me.

The ford 8.8 is very strong and fit more in line with my budget. I run 31 spline moser axles but you can run up to 35’s I believe. Guys who run them have been in the 8’s without breakage and they are lighter than the Ford 9’s

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X