3800 series III Supercharged V6 swap into an 01 Firebird - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3800 series III Supercharged V6 swap into an 01 Firebird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3800 series III Supercharged V6 swap into an 01 Firebird

hey all, new to the forum here.

I bought an 01 Firebird back at the end of 2018 as a graduation gift for $1500. 3.8 series 2 V6, auto, and with 130k miles on the clock. All the mods I managed to be able to do was basically maintenance and repairs as far as mods go. Got new tires, new muffler, new cat, and replaced the alternator, plugs, wires, etc. I was only able to drive it for a little over 8 months before the engine threw a rod on me after a valve spring broke on me.

Spent the last year tearing down the engine, and am now in the process of putting in an L32 3800 Series III supercharged V6 (with the gen V) from an 07 Grand Prix Gt. So far I have replaced all the gaskets on the new motor, polished everything up, replaced the timing chain and tensioner, new water pump, and ive already made the elbow pipe for the SC. I also got some pacesetter headers, and am looking to add a 3.6"pulley, true dual exhaust system, and a retune with Hptuners to run on 93 octane.

Looking into the future, Ill be adding: 3.42 gears, 1 piece aluminum drive shaft, new control arms all the way around, drilled and slotted rotors, VS cam, 42# injectors, and a 3.4" pulley, with a retune.

Pictures of the swap are being posted on Instagram under @3.8sc_firebird if you're interested.

Im about 90% done with the swap, and about to drop the engine in any week now. Wish me luck, any advice or points will be greatly appreciated! especially when it comes to tuning using HPtuners, never tuned anything in my life lol.

Hey welcome to the forum! What did you end up doing to fit the supercharger into your engine bay?

Comment

I cut the TB bracket off the back end of the Gen V, cut away some extra of the aluminum up until that first vaccuum line on the Gen V, and then made my own elbow pipe. The pipe almost looks parallel to the firewall and doesn't go past the lower intake.
      Attached Files

Comment

Sweet setup! Will you be tuning it for meth as well?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

im saving meth as a last resort option lol. Im running a couple of ideas for an intercooler set up.

Ik the shortstack from ZZP wont work, without cutting the cowl, or getting a tubular Kmember.

my ideas are running an AC line to the SC to cool the air before it enters the engine. Like what the Charger Hellcat Redeye's do. The other idea is to put sort of an aluminum shield over the SC and then put either a fan or intake/outlet tubes on wither side, so as to ventilate the SC some, and keep the entire body of the SC cooler after multiple runs.

Comment

Looks nice, yeah depending on where you live and temps should run pretty good, the AC idea sounds interesting. Good luck with it.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Interested in seeing the setup. Interesting ideas as most will just run an intercooler and or meth

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
              1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                Interested in seeing the setup. Interesting ideas as most will just run an intercooler and or meth
                When I had the powerdyne, meth worked great in AZ temps. Would like to see what the AC option would do. I still have a gallon of boost juice from back in the day, been running it in the truck as windshield wiper fluid.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I'm from Ohio, so we get 90° temps as well as temps under 10°. All over the place here lol

Using the AC is just a theory at this point, because I heard Dodge was doing it for there supercharged V8's. It would depend on how much hp it takes to run the AC, and if the power loss is worth the power gain. Like if it takes 10hp to run the AC, but I only get like +5 hp, it's not worth doing and I'll just go meth in the future or go without. If I do make justifiable power, like -10 for AC but +30 for the colder boost temps, then I might be on to something lol. Does anyone happen to know the hp number it takes to run the AC on these motors, by chance?

Regardless, that's a future project to mess with. For now, goal is just to get it running.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                    Hello everyone!
                    by Andy H
                    Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • 3.4 slow to go
                    hey there strangers!
                    by 3.4 slow to go
                    been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X