I'm back - 2002 Pontiac Firbird v6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back - 2002 Pontiac Firbird v6

back in 2013 I had a convertible 2000 firebird, sold it because I didn't want to do anything more as I had a new love for the nissans,

Recently, I acquired a new firebird. black on black 2002 Pontiac Firebird v6 for $300, blown headgasket but clean with T tops,
    so far replaced the headgaskets and regasket the whole upper intake but now trying to get it started has became a challenge.

Currently as the motor is having a hard time to turn over. It is getting fuel and spark is there followed the book to the T on the removal and reinstall of the heads and so on.

70k miles can't go wrong with this one or can it?

I would double check all the connections on the wiring, does it try to turn over?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

If it helps any it kinda does here is a 30s video showing when attempting to turn it over.
      https://youtu.be/peL3XLdRgBE

Currently I have triple checked alot of the wiring and connections something still seems off, next I am going to change out the fuel filter just to be on the safe side.

It gets fuel, I don't know the pressure till tomorrow after I acquire the tool to test. Compression it is getting around 130-140ishpsi on all 6 cyl,

Comment

Yeah , thats werid, any trouble codes?
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

With the ecu reset, I can't get any codes to throw up with my code reader shows blank in the codes. Being that I am in vegas have been dealing with some stuff, Hopefully I can rent the tool in the next day or 2 to check the fuel pressure, replaced the fuel filter and it is starting to act a bit better when attempting to start her but still no fire.

Comment

Sounds like you have a slow crank or is that you just pulling off the key really early? If it is a slow crank make sure all of your connections to your battery are tight and clean...then make sure the connections to the alternator and starter are also tight and clean (free of any corrosion). Once that is checked out, verify all of your grounds are clean and tight - specifically as you mentioned you did a headgasket repair check the ground that goes to the back of the head drive side...that can get pinched and or break fairly easily if you aren't careful and if memory serves me right is the ground for your coil packs. I've pinched this between the head before but luckily noticed before I bolted it all down.

If you had the crank pulley off there is also the crank sensor wire that can be easily pinched by the crank pulley/and or front cover and cause a no start condition due to lack of signal.

Check the fuel pressure and also let us know if you are getting spark on all 6 cylinders

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Thanks, that is actually some good information there I will double check more grounds but the cranking is getting better as I am finding more things. I did find the one behind the head and was able to get that one when I was pulling the starter and checking it.

If the coil packs has a ground also as I am pretty sure I didn't hook up an extra ground between them 2.

Comment

I am 99% sure there is one behind the head on the side of the coil packs (driver side)...I damaged mine and had ended up relocating it to the front of the head for ease of access

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                  Hello everyone!
                  by Andy H
                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                  2 weeks ago
                • 3.4 slow to go
                  hey there strangers!
                  by 3.4 slow to go
                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X