Strano springs and Koni Yellows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strano springs and Koni Yellows

I think I am set to swap my suspension up. My QA1's are leaking and I don't know how to rebuild them. Aside from that, I haven't been going to the drag strip as often. Now that I am out of the city, the roads around me are a little more curvy. I feel like I will have more fun with her not in a drag suspension setup and if I lose 1-2 tenths in the quarter mile so be it. I have the power on tap now that I can make up for that in other way if need be.

My Plan is to order the Koni's in June if all goes well. I have been between the Koni STR.T and Yellows for awhile now. reading through thread after thread isn't helping lol. My thought is this is probably the last time I will change the shocks, so why not spend a little more and get the best I can get. Then the other side of me is like, go with the Koni STR.T and you can do 1 more mod this year lol...damn budgets...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

That’s cool, I think you can have the QA-1s rebuilt from QA-1, but the Koni’s are very nice, I’ve looked at them for my next shocks. I have Qa1’s right now also.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Ya the Qa1’s are rebuildable, but will require a bunch of downtime for me to ship them out from Canada. I also don’t have the tools to do it myself.

I’ll pull them and sell them as rebuilds for a low cost when I yank them. I mean now that I have a garage I could probably wait till winter and pull them out, ship them for rebuilt and reinstall. But then I can’t use my garage shop for like 2 months… Plus I was reading that the Koni’s actually do pretty decent on drag races anyway.

The question still remains though… Koni STR.T or Koni Yellow’s lol?

Also trying to figure out how the on car and off car adjustable shocks differ. Anyone know?

Comment

Email Strano he could probably tell you which ones to go with, just tell him what you want to do with the car and what mods. I know he use to answer questions about the springs and shocks.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Ended up calling Sam and ordered a set of the koni sports 4/4’s and strano springs. I found out from Sam that the STR.T shocks are not actually a koni shock. They are made in South America (I think he said) but are just backed by Koni’s warranty. They are not anything like a Koni shocks and are no comparison.

So let’s see how she handles when I get these on. I pick them up this weekend, not sure when I will have time to install, hopefully soon…

Comment

Nice, you’ll like them.

Comment

Did you run them before Steve? I am wondering how much I’ll truly be able to lean into corners…

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                Did you run them before Steve? I am wondering how much I’ll truly be able to lean into corners…
                No they’ll be my next ones. Running the QA-1s right now. Everyone who has them loves them, I’m on some V8 forums and they swear by them.

Comment

Nice! Love Strano setups. Now get that big front swaybar he sells and figure out the right rear one to pair it with
                  Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                  Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Sway bars are on the list for maybe next year. I think I am ponying up for a K frame this year and fixing the oil pan gasket seep.

Comment

Yeah tubular k is definitely a great upgrade. I have a UMI 35mm front and 21mm rear nice upgrades. Didn’t you have a tubular k on your v6 Mike?

Comment

I did have a tubular K on my V6. I had all PA racing stuff. I snapped my lower A arm on the weld from them. So as a result I am hesitant to run tubular stuff.

I have bene back and forth with the BMR and UMI this time around. UMI uses a double tube design which is nicer and offers added protection. BMR has the turbo K frame. Their tubes are also thicker than PA racing, so I take some comfort in that (even though the K frame did not give me an issue).

Part of me wants to Turbo the LS1 but that is a whole new ball game for me. I loosely priced out some stuff and landed at $6-7k which is a big chunk of change all at once. The other option was doing heads/cam so I don't have to run such an aggressive cam setup and kill off too much drivability. Running something like AFR 205 heads and a cam. But the heads alone will put my behind about $3k by the time I am said and done, now to be fair a good portion of that 3 grand overlaps with what I would need to run a cam (rocker arms, springs, valve guides, etc). So Heads/Cam should run around $4k max and can be done in segments.

This time around I am looking to run stock lower A arms. I am pricing out a new set locally and through Rockauto. Damn inflation has shipping through the roof because usually Rock Auto is the winner in price hands down. My A arms were totally seized on the last car, so I am not even bothering looking into getting new bushings and pressing them in out etc for the price of new arms.

Comment

Yeah, so far my PA racing k and A arms are holding up been almost 15 years. Turbo LS1 would be cool, just do as your doing, a little at a time. It will eventually happen.

Comment

Expensive year for me. Pulled the trigger on a turbo k frame then ordered from Rockauto and another supplier new factory lower A arms, upper a arms, tie rods (inner and outer).

Basically the entire front end will be brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                              Expensive year for me. Pulled the trigger on a turbo k frame then ordered from Rockauto and another supplier new factory lower A arms, upper a arms, tie rods (inner and outer).

Basically the entire front end will be brand new.
                              Nice, should be pretty sweet. Post pics.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X