Brake Line Flare Nut Corrosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Line Flare Nut Corrosion

So I finally got to taking off my rear brake lines (what a PITA on jack stands). Never mind that line wrenches only helped me get a few flare nuts off, while the other half still rounded.... I think I figured out my leak. I expected to find my flare be cracked at the joint above my rear diff as that is where it was leaking. Instead, the joint looked perfectly ok. The flare nut on the stainless steel lines though (female side) looked pitted inside like it has some white corrosion. My best guess is this caused the line to stop sealing and therefore leak.

Anyone else ever run into this before? I have never seen or heard of this happening and I can't figure out why it would happen? Plus the car doesn't get driven in the winter. It had one winter where it saw a bit of salt for less than a week as I was forced to drive it.

I'll throw some pics up shortly...my guess is I have to replace my SS braided lines - and also my brake lines since I wrecked half the nuts removing it...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

That sucks Mike, in AZ we don’t get to much rust and no salting the roads. Yeah post some pics. On a side note my line wrenches sucks when replacing my lines in January, had to use vice grips.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods ,see Homepage. GT35R Turbo http://www.cardomain.com/ride/244123...vrolet-camaro/
    https://www.facebook.com/steve.starcher.18

Comment

Wow, I didn't know that can even happen.

Comment

Getting all fancy here with your brake line failures. Mine just rust at the flare nut threads like normal.

(Never seen it before. Looking forward to pics.)

Comment

I hate the nut flare and how they seize in lol. I rounded them even with the line wrench ...

pics:
          Attached Files

Comment

Huh. How odd. It's all pitted, just like you said. I don't think I've seen that before.

Comment

Finally ordered some new brake hoses from Rockauto. I just went with rubber lines this time. I need to get some replacement brake lines, but thinking if I measure it out properly I can maybe just 2 prefabbed lines and cut down on my headaches.

With any luck I might get to it this weekend. Work has been insanely crazy lately and me and the girlfriend bought a pre-build house at the beginning of the year that hopefully should be done early next year, but seems like every week we need to make some kind of a decision for it.

Comment

Nice Mike, post some pics as you go. I’m sure I’ll need to replace my line’s someday. Being 25 years old next month.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods ,see Homepage. GT35R Turbo http://www.cardomain.com/ride/244123...vrolet-camaro/

Comment

Will do. I was debating running new line from the front to the back as the line is looking a little rusty. I opted to only fix what is broken. If it can last me a few more years I plan to hopefully install a lift in my garage within a year after getting the house. With that I can actually move around easier. The girlfriend isn't the biggest fan though lol

Comment

Yeah my next house, hopefully will have a garage, a lift would be awesome. Can you coat the brake lines so they don’t rust. Mines 25 years old and no rust so far.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RockAuto
                      RockAuto.com Discount Code - Expires February 25, 2021
                      by RockAuto
                      5% Discount Code: 3526C80B6B2CD2

Expires: February 25, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear About ...
                      1 week ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      Black Friday
                      by LETZRIDE
                      Anyone else waiting for some goodies to hopefully have a killer price online this black Friday?

I am looking at updating some of my tools....
                      1 week ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      The First-Time Buyer: Choosing a Vehicle that Best Suits Your Unique Lifestyle
                      by LETZRIDE

Without a doubt, one of the more exciting things to buy for the very first time is your own vehicle, as it is often considered to be quite a milestone. The very first vehicle means a brand new responsibility, and a new chapter of life to enjoy. There is no doubt that many people would be practically frothing at the mouth with excitement, as there is nothing quite like purchasing a new car!
                      That said, the responsibility that comes with buying a new vehicle is immense, which means...
                      1 week ago
                    • Smallz_tam
                      Steering wheel wiring
                      by Smallz_tam
                      Hi y'all, so I recently did a wheel swap on my 2010 Camaro. I got a quick release in and I'm trying to figure out how I can connect horn wiring &...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • Smallz_tam
                      by Smallz_tam
                      Hi y'all! So excited to be a part of this! Especially for when I need answers on sbit I fuck up...
                      2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X