Torque Arm Install and Odds & Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
    Sounds like you have some of my luck lol. Which brake lines did you go with?
    I sure do. The T-hose connection to the body brake line is a big glob of rust. I went to remove the brake line clip today and it just flat out disintegrated. I hit it with more PB Blaster. Hopefully I can eventually get it to spin free or I'll have to replace a brake line the full length of the car next.

I went with stainless steel lines made by "The Right Stuff".

The Summit part # was RSD-FRA9301S.

Comment

Originally posted by Namrepus28 View Post

Just an Edelbrock non-adjstable that I've has sitting around for over a decade.
      That’s cool, at least you won’t have clearance issues like I have with my UMI tunnel mount, I still need to get it into the mechanic to fix where I almost ripped it off the car.lol
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by Namrepus28 View Post

I sure do. The T-hose connection to the body brake line is a big glob of rust. I went to remove the brake line clip today and it just flat out disintegrated. I hit it with more PB Blaster. Hopefully I can eventually get it to spin free or I'll have to replace a brake line the full length of the car next.

I went with stainless steel lines made by "The Right Stuff".

The Summit part # was RSD-FRA9301S.
        And three weeks later I managed to motivate myself to at least install the new lines and hose. It all looks amazing and fits well.

The only problem is that the old hose is still rusted to the brake line. Unfortunately I'll probably have to end up cutting the line, which is a shame as it runs the length of the car, will be a pain to install without a lift, and the only thing wrong with it is the connector at the very end. Oh well. The car is 24 years old. I guess this isn't completely unexpected. Just unfortunate.

For now, the new parts are on the car (if not completely connected) and I've got the car off of jack stands and ready to roll into the garage for the winter as soon as it looks like it's going to snow.

Comment

Nice atleast you have a garage, next house definitely getting a garage. A lift would be awesome.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Just a thought. If your T fitting is rusted on, could you not simply cut it off at the fitting, add a new fitting to the existing line, flare the line and reassemble? You might loose 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of line, but it would be easier than replacing the entire line. You'd need a flaring kit which I think some parts store will loan out. Found a link or two which I thought were informative.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-you-c...nes-1763227864

https://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/...-and-fittings/

PS, I hate working on brakes LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Pax2001 View Post
              Just a thought. If your T fitting is rusted on, could you not simply cut it off at the fitting, add a new fitting to the existing line, flare the line and reassemble? You might loose 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of line, but it would be easier than replacing the entire line. You'd need a flaring kit which I think some parts store will loan out. Found a link or two which I thought were informative.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-you-c...nes-1763227864

https://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/...-and-fittings/

PS, I hate working on brakes LOL
              Thoughts like this are why I haven't cut it off yet. Lol.

Yes, I could do this, I just have zero experience flaring a brake line. I'd have to acquire the tools and then practice on some scrap lines I've pulled off the Camaro and Bonneville already.

There's even a bend at the connection which provides extra length to work with if I re-shape it a little, so in theory it would work fine. Just so long as I don't mess it up.

My fabrication skills are zero, so I always feel more comfortable installing shiny new professionally built parts than I do repairing them, but in this case the amount of hassle it will save is a strong argument for learning to do something new.

Thanks for the links btw! If I go that route they'll come in handy. I've got a winter's worth of time to decide.

(I don't mind working on brakes until a rusty part ruins my day...)

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                Nice atleast you have a garage, next house definitely getting a garage. A lift would be awesome.
                If only it were insulated, heated, and had a lift (and was twice as large) I'd be set.

It is definitely handy to protect the car from (further) corrosion every winter though. I wouldn't argue that point.

Comment

Yeah, that’s my dream to have a huge garage with a lift really don’t need it heated but A/C and heat would be nice.

Comment

If if makes you feel any better my rear brake line broke at the flare at the T and I need to fix mine now too lol

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                      If if makes you feel any better my rear brake line broke at the flare at the T and I need to fix mine now too lol
                      That DOES make me feel better. Lol. Thanks Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                        Yeah, that’s my dream to have a huge garage with a lift really don’t need it heated but A/C and heat would be nice.
                        A lift would be amazing. The heat would really be handy up here. I have a space heater and it barely does anything in these Ottawa winters.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                          Had to get another phone
                          by ssms5411
                          Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                          1 week ago
                        • ssms5411
                          Leaking front cover
                          by ssms5411
                          So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • transamtom1
                          Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                          by transamtom1
                          Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                          3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X