Has anyone rebuilt calipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone rebuilt calipers?

Usually when I need to do brakes and my calipers are shot I order some remanufactured calipers. However, recently when I was doing some research on doing the brakes on my daily driver I came across information about rebuilding the calipers yourself.

It didn’t look very difficult- from what I gather the caliper consists of 2 rubber seals and a piston. To remove your old piston you remove the brake pads and pump your brakes a few times and your piston will pop out. Once that is out you clean up the outside, pull off the two seals and install the new ones. One seal fits inside the caliper almost like an “o-ring”. Then you slide the old or a new piston back in and install the outside seal.

If you require new bleeders they can be bought as well. It sounds pretty simple, but wanted to know if anyone here has any experience doing this?

The cost to do this is substantially cheaper. When I priced it out for my daily driver a new piston was like $10 at Rockauto and the seals were like $4.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Sounds pretty simple. Never done one though.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I have some spare rear calipers for the Camaro that I have kept. Thinking of rebuilding them just for the fun of it maybe...

Comment

I have some spares for my 98+ upgrade, let me know how yours goes and I’ll do mine.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

When are you installing yours?

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
            When are you installing yours?
            Hopefully, this month depending on the weather.

Comment

Try to find a GM rebuilt kit as it will have everything you need - and instructions.

For a 98+ front:

p/n 18026160 (4ea)

For a 98+ rear:

p/n 12530687 (2ea)

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Haven’t done it in years, but it is pretty simple.

Comment

I wanted to try on my daily driver. Once I had my caliper apart and played with it a bit I was glad I didn’t opt to choose that route. It didn’t seem as easy as I thought for me. Granted my stuff was all seized up...

Comment

You'll have to rebuild the caliper yourself. Most brake calipers that fail get replaced with either a new part or a rebuilt one. ... All you need to do is install the caliper, bleed it, and you're back on the road in a few minutes...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                      Had to get another phone
                      by ssms5411
                      Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                      1 week ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Leaking front cover
                      by ssms5411
                      So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • transamtom1
                      Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                      by transamtom1
                      Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                      3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X