Strange popping / flapping sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange popping / flapping sound

I am all of a sudden getting a weird popping/flapping type sound that almost sounds like a cross between driving with a flat tire that has something stuck to it and a bolt with a loose washer/ nut on it. Or almost like a piece of plastic or rock has been stuck into the center cap of the rim.

I thought it might be the heat shielding over the gas tank as a few bolts broke, so I removed it temporarily to see if the issue would resolve and it did not.

I was under there yesterday looking for anything loose and I don’t see anything that sticks out... anyone have any ideas on what I can look at as a potential culprit?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Weird, maybe rear shock tower nuts, probably not. Don't know. Maybe a brake line holder, had one of those that came loose. It was on the differential.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Hoping it is E-brake related as I have just found out that my E-brake is no longer holding the car when engaged. Yet oddly enough there is no unusual slack on the Ebrake handle

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
        Hoping it is E-brake related as I have just found out that my E-brake is no longer holding the car when engaged. Yet oddly enough there is no unusual slack on the Ebrake handle
        Yeah those cables could be loose, just don't get the A/C Delco one from Rockauto doesn't fit, found out the hard way.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Popped the tires off today and inspected the brakes. I thought maybe the rotors were warped, but I took them off and still had the same sound. I believe I have narrowed it to the axle bearings being bad as it sounded like a sand mixer when it was on the jack stands

Comment

Popped the tires off today and inspected the brakes. I thought maybe the rotors were warped, but I took them off and still had the same sound. I believe I have narrowed it to the axle bearings being bad as it sounded like a sand mixer when it was on the jack stands
            Glad you found it.

Comment

So when I pulled off the passenger side axle I found my sealed axle bearing was cracked as per the photo below. Any idea how this can happen?

Click image for larger version

Name:	24705266-C4BB-42FF-ABC7-ED3EDBE58782.jpeg
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	1573649

Comment

No idea but atleast you found the problem, how old are the bearings? Your going to do both sides correct? No point in just doing the one. I had mine done in 2010 when the new torsen and 3.73s were installed.

Comment

I am doing both sides. The bearings were bought in 2011 and have maybe 45,000 miles on them.

The axles are in the shop waiting to get pressed on. I tore my quad the other week so I am not 100% mobile at the moment, but I am hoping to be able to have them back and installed by Wednesday at the latest

Comment

I am doing both sides. The bearings were bought in 2011 and have maybe 45,000 miles on them.

The axles are in the shop waiting to get pressed on. I tore my quad the other week so I am not 100% mobile at the moment, but I am hoping to be able to have them back and installed by Wednesday at the latest
                    What's getting pressed on?
                    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post

What's getting pressed on?
                      The Ford 8.8 rear I have in the Camaro has Ford 9” flanges that run a MSR 9508B bearings. Since they are also meant for c-clip eliminators, the bearing gets put on the axle and a retainer ring has to be pressed on behind them to hold them into place.

With this setup the rear brake bracket (the really thick steel plate) prevents the axle from sliding out and the retainer ring prevents the axle from sliding the other way.

This is the 9” housing:

Attached Files

Comment

Nice, good to hear. Yeah they should have lasted longer then 45k miles.

Comment

Hey Mike, you get the axles back in?

Comment

Took a couple weeks for the shop to get them pressed on as they were busy. But I got them on the other day. Had a bit of a flapping sound still from what I determined to be the parking brake and the backing plate. The bearings were garbage though, so at least that was part of the problem.

I have given up on the parking brake at the moment. It squeaks on the driver side a bit as I think the clip isn’t holding the shoes tight. So I have backed the shoes off so that it doesn’t make any noise. The downside is that the parlong brake is non functioning as a result.

I need to look into seeing if I can get another clip so I can fasten the shoes with no play and actually get the parking brake to hold. Manual adjustment is a pain in the rear

Comment

I thought the rear brakes automatically adjusted when you pull the parking brake up. On my 1996 with 97' discs it does. Might be different though on later F-bodys.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X