Panhard Rod Setup and Tire Rubbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhard Rod Setup and Tire Rubbing

So this past weekend I replaced the rod ends on my double adjustable panhard rod - I thought now would be a good time to actually center the rear end... so I dropped plum bobs off the fender in the back, measured the distance from the top of the rim (face of the rims) in the same spot on both sides. I turned the panhard rod clockwise/counter clock wise until the numbers matched on both sides and this is with the suspension under load that I measured.

Everything looks perfectly centered, even measuring how much the tire protrudes past the rear portion of the fender on both sides...drive the car and I hear rubbing...check the spacing and my driver side rear tire is right up against the inner fender near the bottom left (if looking at the tire)

How can this be? The rear is centered? I've massaged the inner fenders before but now that I am "actually centered" I am rubbing? All I am running is some C5 stock rims with 275 wide tires out back

This is on my 2002 Camaro by the way...did I mix something up and set this up wrong?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9615.jpg
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	1571780

Name:	IMG_9626.jpg
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	1571781

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

2nd question - although I am jammed tight enough at the moment with my jam nuts on the double adjustable panhard rod, this far jam nut seems to be right in the "pocket" of the bracket that the panhard rod mounts to- how are you guys getting a wrench in there to crank the jam nut against the shaft? I can't get anything in but a pair of skinny vice grips... (by the way this picture was of the old joint which is why it is all dirty!)

Name:	IMG_9612.jpg
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	1571783

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
      2nd question - although I am jammed tight enough at the moment with my jam nuts on the double adjustable panhard rod, this far jam nut seems to be right in the "pocket" of the bracket that the panhard rod mounts to- how are you guys getting a wrench in there to crank the jam nut against the shaft? I can't get anything in but a pair of skinny vice grips... (by the way this picture was of the old joint which is why it is all dirty!)

Name:	IMG_9612.jpg
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	1571783
      On my panhard rod it adjusts in the center, yours at the ends would be a pain. Do you hear or feel the the rubbing when just driving normal or is it just over bumps? With those many years on the car springs might need to be replaced.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

it's rubbing on the side so it isn't spring related, I may have to bring out the BFH to massage it more, just think it is a little weird...

Comment

Was looking at mine and yours does come out further, what size rim and tire you running? Mines 17x9.5 with 275/40/17.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Just saw you run 275 outback , whats the offset?

Comment

Not sure of the offset but it is a stock C5 tim that is 18” in the back and I am guessing 9-10” wide... I’ll measure the rim next time I have it off for offset.

I banged out the inner fender with the sledge today and that fixed the issue right up- need to shift the rear end by about 1/16th and I’ll be perfect now

Comment

Nice, good to hear.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to get another phone
                  by ssms5411
                  Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                  1 week ago
                • ssms5411
                  Leaking front cover
                  by ssms5411
                  So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                  2 weeks ago
                • transamtom1
                  Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                  by transamtom1
                  Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X