No announcement yet.

98+ LS1 brake upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the brake lines today, look good. Should do the upgrade probably next month.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Heres a pic of Goodridge vs. Earls this is one of the fronts. It noticeable how much longer it is.Ive had the Earls for awhile.
      Last edited by ssms5411; 10-09-2017, 09:46 PM.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Which is longer? And what is the Earls - 97 or 98?
        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Earls is on top, their stainless steel brake lines I bought about 10 years ago, their for 93-97 F-body. Goodridge is quite longer its on the bottom. Let me know if the pic is messed up, ill take another pic when its daylight.

Comment

Looks like ill get to these brakes in January. Or I might wait until its warmer. Got pretty much new pads on the front no need to let them go to waste.
            Last edited by ssms5411; 12-29-2017, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Im going to wait until my current pads are almost gone then ill do the conversion no since in wasting some good ceramic pads and rotors. So to be continued until i wear out the current pads.
              Last edited by ssms5411; 01-23-2018, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                I've been refered to another person, so I sent them a email, guy i was emailing got caught up in a project.
                Who is the contact at Goodridge?

Raven

Comment

I forget , but when you email them it will go to that person. Off their website. Ill search my emails tomorrow and see if I still have them.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                    I forget , but when you email them it will go to that person. Off their website. Ill search my emails tomorrow and see if I still have them.
                    BTW - I found the actual front line spec tonight.

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post

BTW - I found the actual front line spec tonight.
                      Thats good , Richard Corman was the guy who helped me.
                      Last edited by ssms5411; 05-31-2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Finally going to get to installing these, hopefully in January weather permitting. Got new Moog wheel bearings also since the abs scanner is now saying front left abs is bad. Will take pics and update when I start.

Comment

Well got started on the drivers side. Spent 4 hours on it, got the 98 spindle in and new hub. Broke the cotter pin on the lower A arm tried and tried but can’t see where I can pop the rest of it out so I’m leaving it with no pin. Also couldn’t get the brake line apart , going to try again tomorrow, hopefully have the drivers side done Monday, yeah I’m slow back is killing me after 4 hours. Here’s some pics.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by ssms5411; 01-04-2020, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	C647ECB7-1A63-405B-B00E-7985764ECDA9.jpeg
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	1574911 So I’m stuck, lower A arm cotter pin, can’t get the rest out of the bushing , I have no punches, so will pick some up tomorrow and try it. Second can’t get the brake lines apart. Is the there a trick? It’s not attached to the K member, I’ll post a pic.

Comment

You broke the cotter pin on the lower A arm for the ball joint? Is there no part of the cotter pin sticking out that you can get some pliers on? What about using a nail and tapping the one end of the cotter pin to push it out the other side to give you something more to grab onto? I don't think a punch is going to do much for you. Usually a pair of pliers / vice grips and some leverage will let you pull it right out.

The brake lines are a pain and always give me trouble. I have the best luck soaking them with something like PB overnight and using line wrenches to get them off. Using regular wrenches I always seemed to round the damn things. Line wrenches are a closed wrench with a small opening on one side so it still grabs 4-5 sides of the nut. As long as you use the right size line wrench you likely shouldn't round the fittings - which is easy to do with regular wrenches.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                              1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Yes , nothing left of the cotter pin except in the hole, tried nail , punch , I gave up a couple of days ago, going to let the mechanic do it. He’s going to help do the passenger side too , so this weekend hopefully I’ll have upgraded front brakes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  2 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X