Steering rack install, any advice? (updated, completed) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering rack install, any advice? (updated, completed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rack install, any advice? (updated, completed)

My rack's leaking, so I got one from tacreations. Going to put it in this weekend.

Anyone who's done this have any advice on doing this? Where did you have the car supported from, on the tires or jackstands somewhere?

Thanks,
    Jeff

[ January 09, 2006, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: zlexiss ]
    Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
    Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

did you get the y87/z28 steering rack or the regular v6 rack? you know theyre different right? Just thought you might want to make sure before you install it, although im sure you knew that.
    Mystic Teal Metallic
    ET:15.1 NA 14.3@96 MPH 75 Dry Shot

Comment

Yep, got the V8 rack.

Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Ok, install generally went well. Here's my notes for people searching this later (or technical archives):

1. Those tie rod end puller things (like a small gear puller) made getting the rod ends out a breeze. I bought one from harbor freight for $7, or you can rent one from autozone

2. Nastiest bolt was the one that clamps the steering shaft on to the ramp. You can get this from the top, reaching way down. But it's easier to disconnect the pump hydraulic lines and do it from the bottom. There's threadlocker on it so it needs good force to break it free and it's stiff turning the whole way out. You don't have much wrench turning radius from either the top or the bottom.

3. Get flare wrenches (18mm I think) for the hydraulic lines. I stripped one getting it out, needed my vise grips to remove and reinstall it. Make sure the o rings are still on the tips of the hoses. spray the hose ends with a little brake cleaner before reinstall to get off any dirt that might keep them from sealing well.

4. Make sure the steering wheel is exactly centered and locked before you disconnect it from the rack. Center the new rack (match it to the old one) before you put it in. This helps a lot in reinstall while getting the steering shaft back on - there's flats on both sides of the shaft that have to match up, and also makes sure that you won't damage the ABS wires if the steering wheel spins too far in either direction.

5. Impact wrench was nice for the rack bolts, those were pretty stiff coming off too. There's barely enough clearance to pull them out between the rack and engine so the rack can slide out.

6. I put the car on jackstands on the frame rails behind the front tires (rear on ground). You'll pull the front tires off to get to the tie rod ends, so no ramps.

Total install time was 4 hours (2 remove, 2 put back in). This included a full flush of the power steering system to get all the old crud out. If you can't or don't want to set the toe right (I couldn't loosen the jam nut on one of the tie rod ends on the new rack), make sure to get an alignment right away. The swap only affects the toe.

Haynes and service manuals both have the torque values for everything.

Go Sabres!

Comment

Re: Steering rack install, any advice? (updated, completed)

I have considered this.
          Is the v8 rack that noticably different than the v6 rack?
          1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
          1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Originally posted by AZ3.8Camaro
            I have considered this.
            Is the v8 rack that noticably different than the v6 rack?
            He's not going to know, since he had a V8 rack already due to having a Y87 car.
            Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I thought I read that on the standard V6 rack, the flats on the link into the ramp were 90* off from the V8 rack.. so if you put the V8 rack on a non-y87 V6 that the steering wheel would be 90* cockeyed..

A short search says you'd need the V8 linkage as well to make things work right.

If you feel like doing the swap sometime, let me know, I'll help out. I bet we could knock it out in 2 hours flat.

Go Sabres!

Comment

Originally posted by zlexiss
                I thought I read that on the standard V6 rack, the flats on the link into the ramp were 90* off from the V8 rack.. so if you put the V8 rack on a non-y87 V6 that the steering wheel would be 90* cockeyed..

A short search says you'd need the V8 linkage as well to make things work right.
                I don't think that's correct. I but a brand new T/A rack into my car and it worked out just fine. My car is absolute base model, no factory options at all.
                Representin' Team Red In The North

Red '96 Pontiac Firebird "Smokeshow" 3800, M5, Far From Stock!!

Black/Red '89 Jeep Cherokee "Tigerclaw" Chev 327, Turbo 400... Stock What??

Black/Red '02 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT
                  He's not going to know, since he had a V8 rack already due to having a Y87 car.
                  Forgot about him having the y87.

I thought about it in the past.
                  I don't think I will do it unless I destory the current one though.
                  1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
                  1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Has anyone that has swapped the stock V6 rack for the V8 noticed a big difference. I think I want to Autocross my car, and if it would help, I think that I might do the swap.

Comment

Originally posted by J_Flizzle View Post
                      Has anyone that has swapped the stock V6 rack for the V8 noticed a big difference. I think I want to Autocross my car, and if it would help, I think that I might do the swap.
                      I can't really say...I noticed a slight difference when swappin racks, but I also went for 225's to 245's, and totally different engine. For me the streering seemed a lil firmer/stiffer, but I think that was just due to changing tire size.
                      If you're gonna autox, it seems like you'd be better off spending the time & effort with suspension mods, rather than the steering rack. Just my 2 cents though.

Comment

Yes. The steering response is much faster.
                        sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                          Hello everyone!
                          by Andy H
                          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                          3 weeks ago
                        • 3.4 slow to go
                          hey there strangers!
                          by 3.4 slow to go
                          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                          3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X