Unstable Rear-End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unstable Rear-End

I've been having a strange problem with the back end of my 96 M5 Camaro always feeling like it's about to loose traction and spin. I used to be able to go around corners at high speeds but recently, even at very low speeds I can hear the tires chirping loudly. It's as if there's a spool in the rear end. It's so bad that it caused the tire wall and tread to separate. I thought originally that maybe the tires were bad, but I get the same effect with new tires.
    I notices this happening after I took the car out of storage (6 months) and haven't been able to find the cause. Nothing seems to be bent in the suspension. The rear shocks are fairly new. I had a set of 1LE springs that I installed on the back before putting the car in storage, but I can't see that being the cause.
    Is it possible for a posi to lock-up from sitting idle too long? If so, how do I free it up.
    Anyone have a similar problem?
    I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers and thanks.

Re: Unstable Rear-End

I have 1le rear springs and no problems. I would check the sway bar endlinks.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Pull the cover and have a look inside. Good time to change the lube as well.

Comment

If you Jack the rear end up and spin the back tire while it is in the air- does the other tire turn? What if someone holds the opposite tire while you try and turn yours...if one turns and the other doesn't, then it shouldn't be your rear end locking together...but if they are both locked together maybe something jammed the gears?

What posi do you have the Zexel torson or the Auburn? If you have the Auburn and it went bad it is only clutches, it shouldn't lock up...but if you have the Zexel maybe the worm gears broke and somehow jammed your diff to be permanently locked? not even sure if that is possible though to be honest... but being locked is really the only way I can see your tires chirping through turns even at low speeds?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I have the Auburn in there. Broke the zexel 2 weeks after in put it in :) I haven't had a chance to look at it yet as I have too many projects on the go right now. I'll have to get to it soon though, before cruising season starts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
            Hello everyone!
            by Andy H
            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
            2 weeks ago
          • 3.4 slow to go
            hey there strangers!
            by 3.4 slow to go
            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
            2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X