X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double din for my 1996 Camaro

Ordered the cover and was looking at this Kenwood double din
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e1140...,ext=ext,bu=bu

08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

I’ve heard good things about kenwoods. I have a buddy that has his own aftermarket shop and he always recommends them

Comment

Originally posted by @camaro_szn View Post
      I’ve heard good things about kenwoods. I have a buddy that has his own aftermarket shop and he always recommends them
      Yeah, thanks, I have a Kenwood but it’s a single,been seeing a lot of double dins so thought I would get one.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I like Kenwood. I have a different model in my Camaro and in my Truck as well.

The one in my Camaro is older so it doesn’t have the apple CarPlay and what not. But the one in my truck does. The only thing that drives me nuts is that it drops apple car play when it’s in use. I then have to unplug my phone and plug it back in which is annoying when on a phone call or listening to a pod cast.

That being said, it could be an iphone problem as my cousin has told me he has the same issues on his factory 2018 Silverado stereo with apple carplay.

I like the ability to add a reverse Camera. At first I thought you had to use a kenwood one, but mine you can use the $20 amazon ones

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
          I like Kenwood. I have a different model in my Camaro and in my Truck as well.

The one in my Camaro is older so it doesn’t have the apple CarPlay and what not. But the one in my truck does. The only thing that drives me nuts is that it drops apple car play when it’s in use. I then have to unplug my phone and plug it back in which is annoying when on a phone call or listening to a pod cast.

That being said, it could be an iphone problem as my cousin has told me he has the same issues on his factory 2018 Silverado stereo with apple carplay.

I like the ability to add a reverse Camera. At first I thought you had to use a kenwood one, but mine you can use the $20 amazon ones
          Yeah Mike,reason I want a new head unit is for the Apple play and back up camera. And of course it will look good. I’ll have to remember that I can use different cameras. My truck has a Sony and I’m getting a back up camera for it too.

Comment

Anyone have any install tips? Only thing I have found is a 1994 Camaro and all that Crutchfield says is it needs to be modified.

Comment

If you ordered the bezel already the install is pretty straight forward. Are you ordering a wiring kit or reusing the one for your current deck?

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                If you ordered the bezel already the install is pretty straight forward. Are you ordering a wiring kit or reusing the one for your current deck?
                Ordered the bezel. Just using the same wiring as before, had a deck and stereo installed soon as I bought it in 1996.lol

Comment

So when you take out the old deck grab the wiring with it. Bring it inside and sit at a table with a beer as it is far easier to work on a table than with stuff dangling from the dash. Pull up the manual for which wire goes where. For 95% of the wires they will be colour matched. There will only be a few that don't match up from the deck harness, but that should be in the instructions for the wiring harness for your car. (just look up the instructions from metra or whoever your wiring harness is from).

Do yourself a favour and buy some heat shrink sleeves. Especially if you don't plan on soldering the wires together and just tying them. The heat shrink electrical tape sleeves make the connection stay nice and tight and they never unravel. It made my installation with my truck a breeze.

When I did mine I twisted the connections together, slid the sleeve up and used my heat gun (you can use a lighter too) and shrunk the sleeves for a perfect tight fit.

Comment

I think I got the heat shrink sleeves in a variety pack from harbour freight for $10. I still have a bunch left that get used on various things. The ones they give you are pretty long, so I usually used an exacto knife and cut them in half to double my supply. I use them wherever I can now.

Comment

Cool thanks Mike. Yeah I’ve seen the colors before, most are black , red, blue, and yellow. And I just have the RCAs.

Comment

Once you start you will find it pretty much makes sense. If you run into issues take some pics and post them on here and I should be able to help you out.

I did both my Camaro and Colorado without much issue

Comment

Will do, I was just wondering if there’s any cutting involved, the 1994 Camaro I saw they had to cut.

Comment

I forgot you are a 1996 - I can’t remember if there is cutting for that one as I never installed a double din on my 96, only my 02.

Post a bunch of photos as you do it as I am curious now!

Comment

Will do, waiting on the bezel to get here so I can make sure its correct. Then I’ll get the head unit.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X