Help me argue with the audio technition that has my car - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me argue with the audio technition that has my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me argue with the audio technition that has my car

I have a 99 Firebird with the Monsoon system.

The owner before me changed the sail panel (between the front and rear seats) speakers to normal Alpine coaxial (Cheap Type-E I believe). They sound fine, decent amount of bass, enough to vibrate the rear view mirror when the volume is up. However, they rattle like crazy.

He clearly had an aftermarket HU, and put the stock monsoon unit back in before selling. I upgraded the HU to a JVC bluetooth receiver, had it installed by the guy at the electronic store. Standard install, nothing fancy.

Background over, my car is now in to get a few things done, one being installing the Bazooka DVC in the sail panels. He hasn't started the work yet because he didn't know what speakers to replace, because I said sail panel and he insists the door speakers are the sail panels because of the fake speaker/tweeter design. Why he couldn't pop the grills off to see where the Alpine speakers are that I specified were being replaced I have no idea. I digress.

So we clear that up and without even looking at what was done to the wiring he is insisting the Bazookas won't work because they more than likely bypassed the amp. And even if they didn't, the monsoon amp doesn't usually work with aftermarket HU's, it causes popping and other noise.

The amp is still installed, I checked it before I took it in. The Alpine speakers only have one set of connectors, so I don't know what the previous owner did to the wiring there. My guess is they just used one of the two sets of connectors and the other is dandling back out of view.

All I want is the Bazookas wired to the stock amp. From everything I have read here that shouldn't be a problem. If they did bypass the amp, or did something to the wiring for those speakers, I just want that undone to the stock configuration and the Bazookas installed.

Please help me explain this, or tell me he is right.
    Last edited by ThatsMeGC; 02-18-2014, 08:10 PM.
    \'96 A4 Camaro 3800<br />Nothing but... <br />Flowmaster 40 series

Re: Help me argue with the audio technition that has my car

You are one of the "unwashed masses" who need to bow to the almighty "auto tech". You can't tell or argue with a guy like that.

Simple answer - find someone else to work on your car.

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

If you have the speakers usy screw em in! The sail panels are a factory mid-woofer, and the factory amp (even though it is garbage) uses them that way. If you have a full range speaker hooked into factory wires, there's something not right. But I agree, get someone that will for it the right way to work on your car.

Personally, I removed the factory amp, and wired in components in the front, and 6x9s in the hatch running off of an aftermarket amp.

Comment

He installed them they sound fine. But I got no details on what had to be done or if the amp was bypassed or not.

He stole the damn alpines that were installed though.

When I got to replace the door speakers I'll figure it all out.
        \'96 A4 Camaro 3800<br />Nothing but... <br />Flowmaster 40 series

Comment

I did the same thing to my Camaro, but I put in JVC's that were in my Cutlass before.

What you didn't tell us is if you have the 4" speakers in the rear hatch area or not.

Anyways, the proper way to do this is to wire the hatch speakers (if the Camaro has them) in series so the radio or amp will see 8 ohms total instead of 2. I'm told radios can't handle 2 ohms so it's safer to wire them in 8. I kept my factory clip, but I know most people don't really care and cut the clip off then wire them up normally by twisting the ends together.

I hid my connector for the "bass" speakers in the plastic panel, once taking that off, they're right there in plain sight. Try taking off the whole sail panel and see the extent of the p.o.'s work. It should be a cable with a clip that comes out of the wiring harness that is run there.

I have a feeling he might have bypassed the 4" speakers and used the sail panel speaker holes instead.

Also a side note, the speakers won't work if the amp is removed. I disconnected mine and all the sound went away. I've been told the rear ones aren't monsoon powered (the 4" speakers) but it might be wrong.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
            Hello everyone!
            by Andy H
            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
            2 weeks ago
          • 3.4 slow to go
            hey there strangers!
            by 3.4 slow to go
            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X