Help with aftermarket HU and Monsoon system - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with aftermarket HU and Monsoon system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with aftermarket HU and Monsoon system

Ok, my setup is the following...

2001 Camaro 3.8

JVC KD-AVX33 Head Unit
    Stock Monsoon 500 watt system
    External Rockford Fosgate Punch 700s amp powering a 10" subwoofer

My question is the following:

My rear hatch speakers work fine and the door speakers work fine, but the sail panel speakers do not work at all. The speakers are fine, worked with the stock radio. I actually replaced the speakers in the sail and front doors with stock replacement speakers.

I do not know if it is me or is the sound really much more full with the stock radio? Now it is like less louder..it's like the amp is not turning on.

I have read on many forum pages from different forums that the Monsoon amp turns on from sensing signal from the speakers. But looking at the following site for wiring information:

http://www.modifiedlife.com/2001-che...ation-diagram/

It says that there is a gray wire which is the amp trigger wire turn on. Is this true? I have not looked at the back of my radio to check the wires if they match with this website.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Help with aftermarket HU and Monsoon system

Since you already have a aftermarket headunit and sub amp I would just get a 4-6 channel amp and wire it in. Aftermarket speakers will ound sso much better than stock so you might look into that also. I just did my Bose system in my Silverado and its night and day how my JL audio 2 way speakers sound so much better than the stock Bose speakers. I did a 4 channel amp for the highs and mono amp for the subs. I did 2 ways front and rear and then added tweeters to the front doors. In my Camaro its about the same setup except I used Alpine. I think the amp wire is blue on your headunit and if I remember correctly it should be connected to a yellow wire for stock.
    Last edited by ssms5411; 01-24-2014, 02:16 PM.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I am thinking about the aftermarket option but how would I connect the speaker wires going out from the head unit to the 6 channel amp for the aftermarket speakers if I were to buy?

And for now, how can I activate the Monsoon amp with this head unit? Is there a wire to trigger the Monsoon amp?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

If it was me I would run all new wires from the speakers to the aftermarket amp. I would see what wire on the Monsoon amp has a 12 volt signal by turning the key on (but don't start ) and see with a volt meter which wire has 12 volts. Then turn off the key and make sure it has zero so theres only 12 volts with the ignition on.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I think we have a misunderstanding..I wanted to know how to turn on the monsoon amp with my current setup to get my sail panel speakers working for bass?

Comment

It should be like any other amp a ground, power and 12 volt turn on wire. You'll have to look for a wiring diagram to see what wires are what but if you have a volt meter it should work also. For remote turn on its going to be the same as your amp and deck your using. Are you using the decks speaker wires for the signal to the Monsoon?

Comment

Yes I am using the speaker wires from the radio to connect to the factory speaker wires from the factory harness. I am not sure if there is a remote turn on wire in the factory harness for the monsoon amp ?

Comment

There has to be a turn on wire for the Monsoon, it wouldn't work if there wasn't. Factory harness its the yellow wire for remote turn on.

Comment

Are you sure its the yellow? On some sites it says its gray but there is also a gray speaker wire..

Comment

Check it with a volt meter to be sure but thats what the diagrams say the stock wiring is. For the Monsoon it might be gray but I don't have a diagram for a Monsoon setup. I would always check it a volt meter esp. if your not the original owner of the car, who knows what a previous owner would do.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                      Hello everyone!
                      by Andy H
                      Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • 3.4 slow to go
                      hey there strangers!
                      by 3.4 slow to go
                      been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                      2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X