Stripped O2 bung

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped O2 bung

Not the threads, but the head is stripped on the inside.

I was trying to remove it and it wouldn't go anywhere.. so I got pissed and "tapped" it with a hammer, and it felt like it was going somewhere, but it turned out that the only thing turning was the allen wrench inside of the bung.. So now I need to try and get the cap out. I have the wideband ready to install but I can't get the damn cap off.

I even tried starting the car and let it run for 5 minutes or so to let it warm up.. but it didn't work.

I think the best thing to do would have been to take a torch to it, but I don't have one..

So now I have a stripped o2 bung cap, and I am not sure how to get it out. I tried getting a grip on it with vice grips but it kept slipping.

The idiots that welded in the bung probably put anti-seize in there thinking I wasn't going to install it for a while.

Re: Stripped O2 bung

try grinding the sides down flatter and then putting vice grips on it.
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

pb blaster and a torch
      Y87 Package
      MANUAL CONVERTED, Pro 5.0 Shifter
      Pacesetters, Magnaflow Cat, Cutout, Flowmaster

MOGOB APPROVED!
      BONE APPROVED!
      VANBIBBER APPROVED!
      KRISTEN APPROVED!

Vice Prez.
      Team Black...TEAM EMO
      sigpic
      Come on kids! Get a Calendar!

Comment

Ok so I finally got everything installed.

I had to go to my friends house and get my jack/jackstands.

I got a pair of heavy duty vice grips and gripped on really strong. I took a mini sledge hammer (I don't know what it's called.. just like a mallet I guess), and I tapped it until it was spinning on the cap.

At one point I had the cap out far enough the I could stick a quarter in between the cap and bung if I wanted to. Eventually the vice grips were spinning no matter how hard I clamped them (so tight it deformed the metal almost making a square).

I gave up for a minute and turned my car on and let it run for 10 minutes, hoping the heat would help break it loose.

Nothing.

So I get under there again.. and this time, I wiggled it back and forth (I loosened and tightened), and sprayed some WD-40 in there...

All I can say is WD-40 = about as amazing as duct tape. So that broke it loose.

Now I had a new problem.. The spanish guy (couldn't speak english) that welded the O2 bung, misaligned the bung and the drilled hole.. So guess what... Yeah.. I had to file down the exhaust pipe through the O2 bung. That took another 30 minutes.

But basically I got it all in.. It took about 2 hours between the stripped O2 bung cap and the misaligned hole.

Everything works good and I have the WB hooked into my A/D port on my DHP..

All I can say is, anyone that seriously wants to tune their car should 100% buy a wideband.

Now if only I could get this damn scanner to save the scans 100% of the time we would be good... lol

I'm trying that UV Scanner thing for the Powrtuner, it looks like really good software.

/endless rant

Comment

BTW, wd-40 is **** compared to PB blaster. What year car do you have? Which is why I ask.. why aren't you using HP tuners?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
            BTW, wd-40 is **** compared to PB blaster. What year car do you have? Which is why I ask.. why aren't you using HP tuners?
            02 Camaro.. upgrading to HPT as soon as my friend gets enough money to pay half (he has a GTO).

I can't stand the scanner that DHP has, it only saves the logs half the time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
              Hello everyone!
              by Andy H
              Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
              2 weeks ago
            • 3.4 slow to go
              hey there strangers!
              by 3.4 slow to go
              been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
              3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X