Tuning w/out wideband?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning w/out wideband?

How accurate will it be? I don't have the funds ATM; a buddy has HP Tuners and is going to tune my 97 Camaro if I buy the license ($100). I'm wondering if he can really tune it without the wideband, if I should wait and get a wideband first, or go ahead and tune it with narrowbands and retune later when I get a wideband.
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Re: Tuning w/out wideband?

Really can't tune it without a wideband, my narrow bands will read the same at WOT if it is 12.0 or 13.0 A/F, so I would play it safe rather than hurting your engine.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

if your cars an auto he can mess with the shifts and stuff lol

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells View Post
        if your cars an auto he can mess with the shifts and stuff lol
        Also fans , speed limiter, correct tire height and gears, I think he installed a cam so he might run lean, he could add a little fuel to be safe, scan for KR and thats about it. Don't add any timing , Look on vipers write up and go to under fuel control ,PE ,Base A/F vs ECT and you could put in like 12.5 to 12.9 in there, but I don't remeber what add vs rpm is on a stock tune. Might make you go too rich, that where the wideband comes into play.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I think I am running rich right now; i don't know if it's because I have no cat, but you can smell gas fumes when I'm idling. I do have a cam (GT2), and it is untuned; I plan on putting bigger injectors in too, so he could go ahead and do that too right?
          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
          A few things

Comment

You can.. but you gotta look at ltft's and all that stuff. I've been learning a ton here in the past week and theres a lot more to tuning than just a wideband. A wideband can make it a ton easier though. Don't expect him to be able to do it in one day though. Especially with older ECMs, they take a little while to relearn fuel trims.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Ya, we're gonna make it a weekend project. Thinking 3 days, just to make sure everything's running right. But, I may wait and save up for a wideband now; idk yet.
              ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
              A few things

Comment

I just bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...269063062&rd=1

It was between that, and the AEM UEGO. The reason I spent the extra $50 is cause that comes with data logging software and had some other features that I liked over the AEM. Also it's a little more accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
                  Ya, we're gonna make it a weekend project. Thinking 3 days, just to make sure everything's running right. But, I may wait and save up for a wideband now; idk yet.
                  Eh.. mines been taking like over a week. That is through email though. And it will take like 2 days of driving after tweeking the MAF or VE or other things just for the LTFT to settle. If he knows what he's doin then yeah go for it.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Well, he's got a guide from some company on how to use HP Tuners or something. He said he did abit of tinkerin before with his car ('98 S/C Z-28), but now that he has this book, he understands alot more. We're going to aim for a 2-3 day project, but worst comes to worst we'll get a drivable tune in there and set aside another weekend to work on it some more. I mainly want to get the cam tuned in abit better (still stock tune) for WOT, stop the stalling when drivin around, and correct for my gear change. If I can get the injectors in too that'll be sweet :)
                    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                    A few things

Comment

Without a wideband you will be be guessing at the real AFR. Much like ssms5411 said you can have an afr change of 1 or more and the o2's will stay about the same....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
                        hey there strangers!
                        by 3.4 slow to go
                        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                        7 hours ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Had to get another phone
                        by ssms5411
                        Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                        1 week ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Leaking front cover
                        by ssms5411
                        So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • transamtom1
                        Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                        by transamtom1
                        Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X