Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tuning an 3.4

Hey Forced,
    How's the hybrid project coming along? Did you get it all put together?

For anyone else interested in the MSII install on a 3.4, I'll be starting the engine tune this upcoming weekend. The car is currently in the shop getting a complete front suspension rebuild (didn't have time or access to a shop to do it myself) - 170k miles is hard in ball joints and tie rod ends. Upgraded to 98 Camaro front brakes and Energy Suspension bushings while it was apart.

I currently have it idling properly on the MS and should have a very rough tune in by Sunday afternoon. I'll try to have pics and videos up at that time.

Comment

Wow good stuff. You should invite me over :D
      sigpic
      98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Hybrid has been together, but unfortunately my hobby has turned into to a job - so it's not running yet (twin turbo headers still aren't complete) :p

The '93 runs and is logging...

I'm hoping to see a low 14 with this customer's car ;)

Comment

Ive been looking into swapping my PCM to megasquirt and i need a little advice. I have a 94 3.4l will be doing some porting and polishing to the UIM and LIM, swapping cams, and adding either a supercharger or a turbo as the last step. For now I have the 4l60-e untill i can get the funds for a swap to a T5. First which version should i go to, money is a little tight. And second how can i make this work with an auto?

Comment

Nimrod, I still haven't had a chance to program the MS yet. So you haven't missed anything yet. If I can actually plan a weekend to do it I'll let you know and see if you can make it.

Forced, that's awesome, your using the Lumina computer for that? What software? Hope to see the hybrid run soon.

A fireman, I would recommend the MS II PCB 3. If your good with a soldering iron and electronic components you can order it unassembled and save some money.

MSII PCB 3 (unassembled) - $247.00

MSII PCB 3 (assembled) - $399.00

You're also going to want to get a wide band O2 sensor. You have 2 narrow band sensors from the factory but narrow band is not nearly as accurate as wideband. Narrow band will pretty much only tell you when your at 14.7:1 AFR, so if you're trying to tune for power and run an AFR of say 13:1 or tune for MPG and run 16:1 you won't get accurate numbers.

If you run way to rich you risk flooding the oil with fuel and thinning out the oil causing potential damage to the crank, cam, cylinder walls, etc. If you run to lean you'll get detonation and over time can damage bearings, pistons, rings, and valves.

Also if you want to keep your 4L60E you can use the MS-GPIO. I don't have any experience with it as I have a T5, but I understand that it can control the trans. Jet and TCI also make modules, but they won't talk to the Megasquirt.

As for the wiring harness, I have two separate harnesses. I bought the MS harness. For the injectors keep in mind that the MS II is batch fire and your 94 is sequential fire (MS II can do sequential but its and PITA and doesn't really do anything above 1200rpm). I used an injector harness from a 91 V6 Camaro in a junkyard since the MPFI cars were batch fire. When I bought the donor motor for my 94 the sent me the engine harness. This was great because I was able to scrap the ends for the IAT, IAC, knock, TPS, CTS, and ignition module. The map sensor is inside the megasquirt so you'll have to run a vacuum line to wherever you put the MS. I mounted min in my glove compartment. You'll also have to rewire the fuel pump relay. I can't remember how off the top of my head but if you look at a wiring diagram on alldatadiy, or a chiltons manual you should be able to figure it out, if not let me know and I'll take a look at it. I like having both harnesses because if something goes wrong with the MS I can hook up the factory computer, which has no idea when and how much timing and fuel to deliver, but at least it runs and I could get home.

You can see the pics of the car on my myspace page. It's the black Camaro. There aren't any pics of the install except for the MS sitting in the glove box but I'll add pics as I complete the project.

Hope this helped.

Comment

it did help I just have one omre question. Will the stock PCM keep working and try to run everything if its not conected to the injectors and the input line for the spark?

edit: ok i lied any links to a wide-band O2 sensor that's not $200
              Last edited by A fireman; 02-16-2010, 12:24 PM.

Comment

We now have 4 cars running on OBD1.

Three on the 1227727 and one on the 1227730.

Comment

A little update if anyone cares, I ended up getting the MS1 V2.2 to start with I may upgrade to a newer version later. Also it is fully installed and I don't get any codes and the trans works like nothing has changed. One note I don't suggest sharing sensors like IAT, CLT, or O2 sensors( unless its a wideband with multiple outputs) the two different systems don't play nice with each other. Also I setup a DB15 plug behind the stock PCM so that I can swap out between the stock comp and MS in an emergency.

Clicky for a pic of the unit

Comment

On tuning mine I going TunerCat........the read up on it seems nice.......

Comment

Yea they just recently came out with that. I'm building a 3.4/3400 hybrid right now for my Firebird and will be using the TunerCat system.

Comment

Ok nice.......keep me posted on progress....

Comment

Very interested too in seeing you guys do it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                            Had to get another phone
                            by ssms5411
                            Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                            1 week ago
                          • ssms5411
                            Leaking front cover
                            by ssms5411
                            So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                            2 weeks ago
                          • transamtom1
                            Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                            by transamtom1
                            Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X