96 3.8 PCM Swap to 97 PCM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 96 3.8 PCM Swap to 97 PCM

1997 PCM will go into a 1996 and 1995 however 95's rears are different ratio in many cases, so it will need to be flashed.

Comment

WOW old thead. 97' PCM into any 96 and some 95's who has OBDII and not OBD1.5 will have to be reflashed, I have done FireBirdGT's and about 4-5 others since I have mine for all 97 PCM's. Some I did by mail and others drove to me or I drove to them.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

can someone give like a step by step to install this i have 97 computer. is it a direct bolt in?

Comment

Its a direct bolt in, only if your going to change the settings with Hptuners.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

When I revamped my 96 with a 97 motor and had the trans completely rebuilt, PCMforLess sent me a '97 PCM and I hooked it in without even knowing it was a different PCM. It's that easy. Just be sure to have the same trans. I believe, also, that when you put the '97 PCM in, it opens the opportunity to work with HPT. WAY better than some random flashed chip.

I believe there's a sticky with the R&I of the PCM somewhere in here, but honestly, if it takes more than 1/2 hour, I'd be surprised. Quite an easy and worth while swap.

Comment

Originally posted by steddy View Post
              When I revamped my 96 with a 97 motor and had the trans completely rebuilt, PCMforLess sent me a '97 PCM and I hooked it in without even knowing it was a different PCM. It's that easy. Just be sure to have the same trans. I believe, also, that when you put the '97 PCM in, it opens the opportunity to work with HPT. WAY better than some random flashed chip.

I believe there's a sticky with the R&I of the PCM somewhere in here, but honestly, if it takes more than 1/2 hour, I'd be surprised. Quite an easy and worth while swap.
              1/2 hour you better have took 20 minutes of that drinking beers. 10-15 min job max.
              http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
                1/2 hour you better have took 20 minutes of that drinking beers. 10-15 min job max.
                Well, yeah. You got a point, but perhaps they haven't done it before and don't have a manual, etc. This gives plenty of breathing room (the shop that fried mine discluded, of course. LOL!).

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
                  Its really a simple job just scratches up your hands if they are big. Just becareful of the PCM wires on the harness so none pull out or crimp.

Comment

X2 on the scratching up and try not to move the connections around too much, if at all possible.

Comment

tiny screwdriver is your buddy at pulling the tabs back so the connectors pop right off.

Comment

After the screws are out just pull on both sides of the connector and it should come off , I have never used a scewdriver to pull the connectors off , might break the plastic.

Comment

Good - I might even try this.
                          Leonard
                          www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
                          sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                            Hello everyone!
                            by Andy H
                            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                            2 weeks ago
                          • 3.4 slow to go
                            hey there strangers!
                            by 3.4 slow to go
                            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                            2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X