96 3.8 PCM Swap to 97 PCM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 3.8 PCM Swap to 97 PCM

There has been some confusion regarding this swap. Those that have done this, I need your input for the creation of a "sticky".

What "97" PCM will work? P/N?
    Does it need to be re-programmed by dealer?

What else impacts this swap?
    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Re: 96 3.8 PCM Swap to 97 PCM

direct swap, any 97 pcm will work. I have changed a spare auto pcm I had to a manual PCM and it worked just fine in the 96 I sold it to.

As long as the trannies are the same it is a direct swap. If not the same then reprogramming will be needed to work with the trans
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

97 PCM will replace 96 as a direct swap. If you want to avoid flashing the pcm they MUST be the same transmission type. Also autos had both 3.08 and 3.42 (Y87) gear ratios. Although both PCMs will work if you have different gearing the shift points will be off.

Comment

Question for the Sticky:

As I'm to understand... If you have a 1996 Manual Tranny car a 1997 PCM from a AUTO or a MANUAL will work??? Correct?
        MSN: inynn666@hotmail.com<br />1996 Arctic white -3800-<br />Pacesetter Headers & Y-Pipe, CAI, LS1 Dual Exhaust, LS1 Driveshaft<br />*15.17 @ 95MPH*

Comment

Originally posted by BOSSV6
          Question for the Sticky:

As I'm to understand... If you have a 1996 Manual Tranny car a 1997 PCM from a AUTO or a MANUAL will work??? Correct?
          Yes, BUT the programs are different - gears for example.

This can be solved by re-programing by a dealer using the VIN from a manual car.
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT

This can be solved by re-programing by a dealer using the VIN from a manual car.
            Cool, Perfect!
            MSN: inynn666@hotmail.com<br />1996 Arctic white -3800-<br />Pacesetter Headers & Y-Pipe, CAI, LS1 Dual Exhaust, LS1 Driveshaft<br />*15.17 @ 95MPH*

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT

or just having someone with hptuners load the correct bin into the pcm for your trans. I did this already for a member here who had a manual trans pcm and wanted an auto one.

Dealers are sometimes hesitant to do this as I found out when I first did my gear swap back in the day before hptuners. It took me going to a dealer that my dad's friend worked for to do it for me. They usually don't like changing vins of a car in the pcm

Comment

I have a 96 camaro. I swapped the automatic tranny with one from a 97. It seems like the shift points are off, do I need to get the computer re-flashed. and can only the dealer do this

Comment

so you didn't change your PCM, you just swapped in a new transmission?

Comment

this has probably been answered 1000 times. but so say i have a 96 A4 (non Y87) with... i believe 3.08 gears (they are stock for that year). if i took the stage one jet chip for the 97 i could just put it directly in to my car. yes or no.

Comment

nope, the computers are different, hence why hptuners works with 97s and not 96s as well

besides the jet chip stage one and two's are absolute junk anyways. Mail order tunes put the jet chip modules to shame

Comment

is there any good chip for a 96 3.8, or an equally easy upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by 96fbody
                          is there any good chip for a 96 3.8, or an equally easy upgrade.
                          easiest thing to do is get a mail order tune. www.texas-speed.com or www.pcmforless.com

Comment

Understand this is all on the 96-97 pcm swaps... I have a 99 3.8 5 speed and have been looking for the longest time for Jet chips but they don't make them for that year. Will a '00, '01 or '02 pcm work on mine?? And I guess I would need to find one from a manual trans huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead621
                              Understand this is all on the 96-97 pcm swaps... I have a 99 3.8 5 speed and have been looking for the longest time for Jet chips but they don't make them for that year. Will a '00, '01 or '02 pcm work on mine?? And I guess I would need to find one from a manual trans huh?
                              No you cannot and you will not gain anything from a jetchip.

Plus right now texas-speed is doing $125 mail order tunes right now. That is a heck of a deal and you are going to gain a lot more from that than you would wiht jet chips

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X