Bird won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird won't start

I tried attaching a video, but it won't do it.

The battery was drained because I don't use the car much, but I do fire it up 4x a week just lubricate the engine parts and such and to give the battery a charge as well.

I took the battery to autozone and they charged it up and afterwards they told me it's no good. So they gave me a new one since it's under warranty.

Installed it in and the car won't fire up. The fuel pump is priming good. I wonder if it's the starter, ignition, relays or the VAT?

You should get a trickle cell charger or a battery tender.

You can upload videos to YouTube and post the link here. What is the bird doing when it won’t start? Does it try to turn over at all? Do any lights come on when you put the key to run?

Did the store charge the new battery for you?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

+1 on the trickle charger, I have a battery tender on mine for about a year now, I have a draw I can’t find. Yeah more information needed why it’s a no start. When’s the last time it was running? Does the fuel pump prime up?
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

There's no click click click sound. The lights do turn on and the fuel pump does prime up. The engine doesn't turn at all. I swapped the relays and still the same. Looked at all the fuses and they are good.

I did smell a faint burn some where. So I think that burnt smell might be coming from the solenoid and hopefully not a wire short.

Im thinking more that this is a starter problem.

Comment

Does sound like the starter, their not that bad to change.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Have you tried smacking the starter? Sometimes that get's them going again.

Comment

Yeah that's the next thing I'm going to do. Is to tap it. If it does work I still have to replace it. I'm also going to remove it and have it tested at autozone just to be sure.

Right now it's It's kinda hard to work on. It's 120* inside the garage. Plus I'm financially dry. Good thing I'm going back to work this Wednesday.

thanks Steve and Mike.

Comment

If you don't mind waiting for it I am pretty sure I have my starter from my Camaro that only had about 5k or so on it. I've had it in the garage since I parted my V6 out 5-6 years ago I think it was. If you want it I could probably do $50 + shipping and send it to you. But with Covid it may take a little bit longer than normal especially coming from Canada.

The other thing you can do is see if you can just change the solenoid on yours. I have never done this but I have heard it is usually the solenoids that go bad on them and the solenoids themselves are apparently cheap. Again, I have no clue where you would get it from though or how to swap it. If you do it, do a writeup on the board for us!

Comment

I would be happy to buy that from you, Mike, but wasn't your V6 Camaro a manual? I have a 98 bird that's auto though. Will it still work?

I'm in no hurry. I can wait. Yes, definitely, I did thought about replacing the solenoid on this and keep it around as an extra part.

Comment

Mine was a 1996 auto. I was just looking on Autozone’s site and it looks like the part numbers are different (which is weird because I was pretty sure everything was the same) Since I am now not sure it would work maybe scrap that idea.

Have you looked at Rockauto? They appeared to have some cheap prices for the bird + the 5% off you get from here might give you a replacement for a reasonable cost?

Comment

I replaced mine 3 years ago with a eBay starter I bought 10 years ago , price was only 54.99 it’s still working. Mine was a manual and I converted to the auto. I would of thought that the years would be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                        I replaced mine 3 years ago with a eBay starter I bought 10 years ago , price was only 54.99 it’s still working. Mine was a manual and I converted to the auto. I would of thought that the years would be the same.
                        Good to know! Knowing this hurts though after I spent $400 at napa on mine back when I bought it lol

Comment

Oh no kidding. There shouldn't be any difference. 96 and 98 everything is the same.

Comment

I've checked O'Reilly and it's the same thing, but with Ebay there's no difference. What gives?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter.PNG
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1576552
                              Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X