FWD l36/l67 for RWD use/ No injector signal - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FWD l36/l67 for RWD use/ No injector signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWD l36/l67 for RWD use/ No injector signal

Last fall I was going 75 down the interstate and my car just randomly started missing. Vacuum gauge was fluttering and car had not power. Obviously a miss. ECM threw a p300 engine misfire. Took a IR temp gun and found cyl #1 was dead. Since then ive changed spark plug on #1, spark plug wire, swapped #1 and #3 injectors, changed #1&4 coil, changed ignition module, checked for 12V at the injector, and ohm tested the ground wire to the ECM. Everything checked out. I have even hooked a timing light up to the #1 plug wire to verify its getting spark and it does. Spark plug smells of fuel. Engine doesnt sound any different when #1 injector is plugged in or not or if the spark plug wire is plugged in or not. Checked compression and took valve cover off to make sure the valves are opening. No other helpful ECM codes. Engine was completely rebuilt 10 months ago and got new bosch o2's.

HPtuners says bank #1 is dead rich, at idle the O2's are like 100 where on bank 2 they are 400-900 and fluctuate. Ive got an HP log if it would help.

Im pretty good at fixing stuff but NOTHING ive done will get rid of the dead #1 cylinder. Only thing that has stumped me in the past 5 years.

The only thing left is to swap out the ECM. Id rather not because then I have to re-license the ECM and loose $100 to tune it again. Is there anything else that im overlooking? Its been broke since November and its been to cold to fix.

There are no RWD ECM's close to me on car-part so I looked and they claim RWD and FWD ECM's are the same. Are they? It seems to me like the pinouts might be different for trans and o2 sensor stuff. I know 97 ECMs are different than 98+.

Have you done a compression test?

Comment

Re: FWD l36/l67 for RWD use/ No injector signal

Do you have a scanner that shows cylinder misfires in real time? My Aeroforce scanner shows my misfires. I have the same problem with PO300 it shows on my scanner, misfire on 3 and 5. I have lost power(like its running on 4-5 cylinders) and to me mine is blown head gasket.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

imho forget the scanners a compression test is in order and will tell you everything you never wanted to know

Comment

Already did a compression test. Tested good.

Comment

When you did the rebuild did you take your balancer off or anything to the effect where you would need a case learn done on it? Also if you need a 97' PCM I have a couple extras and I can flash whatever tune you want, since I have the program for all 97' years.
            Last edited by ssms5411; 03-16-2014, 02:19 PM.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Yeah, I took the balancer off, crank was scored on #1 journal so I put a new ground crank in. Had a new timing cover too since the oil pump ate itself.

I didnt do a case relearn since I read 97's didnt need it. I put 6000 miles on the build this summer-fall and it ran beautiful.

Only thing I can think thats wrong is the computer isnt grounding the injector and allowing it to fire. I know I have spark and air, only thing left is fuel.

Id probably just buy that PCM off you. My plan was to put the one in out of my buddies 97 GTP to test if it fixes it and if it does buy another when I find it but if yours is affordable Ill just buy it. If you can tune it Ill just send you my current HPT log Ive got in the car now to save me from spending the 2 credits to tune the new PCM if it doesnt work.

Comment

Yeah 96 and 97's will need a case learn if the balancer is removed, might try a case learn off of HPtuners couldn't hurt. Let me know about the PCM their not going anywhere anytime soon. Also are you using a 97' Camaro/Firebird PCM or a GTP PCM from a 97'? Mines only for 97' Camaro/Firebird.
                Last edited by ssms5411; 03-16-2014, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Its the F body PCM. Ill try a case relearn, doubt it will help but at this point im willing to do anything.

Comment

Nice , then I can flash your current bin file to the PCM.

Comment

What do you want for the PCM?

Comment

I'll send you a PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                          Hello everyone!
                          by Andy H
                          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • 3.4 slow to go
                          hey there strangers!
                          by 3.4 slow to go
                          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                          3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X