Tuning; where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tuning; where to start?

My 98 uses a 99 up MAF sensor so I had extensive tuning to do. I didn't pull a O2 sensor as I have a bung after the Y pipe my wide band goes in. I did have to put the screen back in to stabilize the AFR. If it gets the results you want go with what your comfortable with.

sigpic

Comment

in the pics, it looks like your TB has been polished. That and the swap onto a 98 engine, no doubt, meant some MAF cal work.

I don't have a screen in mine.

How did you determine you needed the screen to stabilize the AFR? Also, was that needed stabilization at low rpm, high rpm....what?

Comment

The idle was the worst. Low RPM driving was suffering also. I'll have to find a picture of a stock 98 TB, a lot more than just a polish has been done.
        sigpic

Comment

I was trying to understand why you needed the screen and then I looked at your little picture.

You have a Firebird and, while I've never worked on one, I've seen pics of the undeerhood. One some of them the air filter assy is over on the driver side behind the core support. If that's the case, that means there are bends in the air duct just before the TB.

That's why you need the screen to make sure airflow hitting the MAF is laminar and aimed directly at the sensor.

Mine's a Camaro and the air box is right in front of the engine.

Comment

98 Firebirds have the airbox over the radiator like the Camaros. I think it's an angled TB thing as it seems the straight TB cars can run fine without the screen.
            sigpic

Comment

I didn't have the screen in my straight and it ran just fine.I'm going to leave the one in the camaro, especially since its a 98.
              Last edited by flamingchicken; 09-03-2013, 12:40 PM.
              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                Hello everyone!
                by Andy H
                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                3 weeks ago
              • 3.4 slow to go
                hey there strangers!
                by 3.4 slow to go
                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X