So how do you read codes on a '95?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how do you read codes on a '95?

Just bought a '95 V6 this weekend. The SES came on today intermittently while at about 50-60 mph, but then went off later, and came on again later while driving. I see I have the OBII DLC but I believe the system is OBI true? So how do I do flash codes, and where can I find a list (anyone have a pdf of the service manual?) of the codes? I also have a ABS INOP on light so I was wondering if that is possible to pinpoint what part of the ABS is messed up too electronically.

Thanks

Re: So how do you read codes on a '95?

The 95 F-cars were part of GM's "early-roll-out" of OBDII emissions controls.

The system had a 16-pin connector but a mix of OBD and OBDII diagnostics.

If you've got the 16-pin DLC, flash-code diagnostics is not supported and you need a scan tester. Also, the tester needs to support both OBD and OBD2 fault codes.

Actron has some good ones.

Comment

Well I tried using an UltraGauge I have (can read codes) and taking it to Autozone so neither worked. I'll look up that Actron one.

So am I going to be using the OBII DTC code list for all other Firebirds..?

Comment

i can probably look up the codes when you pull them. i dont think we have a sticky anywhere with obd1 codes here. but i know ive got the list somewhere around here.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
        http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
        Or this

Comment

The 95 F-car only has partial OBD2 support. None of the OBD2 DTCs, if they set, turn on the light. Also, since the system is only partial OBD2, it doesn't support all the DTCs which are part of OBD2.

You need a tester which has OBD software but also has a 16-pin connector. There were a number of vehicles in MY94 and 95 which has this bastardized system.

F-car, Corvette and S/T-trucks among others.

Once you get codes out of the ECM, post them. I have a 95 FSM and I'll look them up for you, but I can't post all the repair info. If you're going to DIY on whatever the problem is, you may need an FSM.

Comment

Yeah I really need to get a service manual. We really do need an OB1 code list. Do those tools that's made to hook into OB2 port yet read OB1 just essentially do the same thing of "jumping" the connections (paper clip?) so is that tool really necessary to flash the codes like some other cars without OB2, or do I have to have it only to read them and no paper clip/etc.?

Comment

Yes. A tester which supports OBD and partial OBD2 on a 95 will have either a cable with a 16-pin MIL connector or an adapter which plugs into the 12-pin connector on the end of the cable and allows it to attach to the 16-pin MIL.

As I said earlier, a 95 with the 16-pin connecter does not support flash code diagnostics. You must have a tester to read any fault codes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hib Halverson View Post
                Yes. A tester which supports OBD and partial OBD2 on a 95 will have either a cable with a 16-pin MIL connector or an adapter which plugs into the 12-pin connector on the end of the cable and allows it to attach to the 16-pin MIL.

As I said earlier, a 95 with the 16-pin connecter does not support flash code diagnostics. You must have a tester to read any fault codes.
                That's what I wanted to make sure that it wasn't a case of I could do the same thing the tester tool could do with a paper clip, but if you're saying I have to have the tester no matter what then I guess I need to buy one. I guess I'll start searching for the best price.

Comment

Is this what I need?

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9001-...productDetails

Comment

No. That's neither a scanner nor does it support the 16-pin connector

You need this:
                    http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16336
                    or other device which reads codes from OBD systems but has a 16-pin connector or has a 12-to-16-pin adapter.

Comment

Wait..so what is the thing I posted as it does say it's a scanner/etc?

Oh well. Anyways that's sucks to see that as that scanner you listed it fricking about $300...damn. Is there no cheap way of doing this?

Comment

Yes, there is...or rather will be soon. All you would need is a PC (portable preferably) and an OBD1 16-pin cable (~$60 or build your own for about $12, $9 USB-serial cable and $3 connector). I am in the process of expanding my FREE 94/95 LT1 scan app "Scan9495" to also do the 3.4 V6 for those years. I have the 3.4L PCM and methods ready, just have to get the time to do it, but it is next in line for improving this app. See this discussion:

http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums...63#entry823163

and this one:
                        http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/comp...95-lt1-874306/

You can download the full 1994 (close enough) service manual using this discussion:
                        http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums...2-wiring-diag/

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird Phoenix View Post
                          Wait..so what is the thing I posted as it does say it's a scanner/etc?

Oh well. Anyways that's sucks to see that as that scanner you listed it fricking about $300...damn. Is there no cheap way of doing this?
                          If "cheap" means low cost, the above, if it really works, might be a choice.

Problem is some of those cheap ways to get scan data may cost less but take a lot of work.

With a car that old, if you plan to keep it a while and DIY all the service, you're better to bite the bullet and buy a scanner now.

Comment

Just started the development/conversion today, and so far I am pulling 3.4L engine/transmission DTC's and Vehicle info. Took only about a hour to get to this point, so maybe this won't be too hard. BTW, this can already read the ABS and SIR trouble codes, nothing different from the LT1 car there. If anyone has any interest, I could post a verrrrry early beta of it on the web site that has the V8 version. No engine or transmission live data or actuators yet though.

Comment

"Problem is some of those cheap ways to get scan data may cost less but take a lot of work."

The conversion was completed months ago and works perfectly including the live data and actuators, all for $0. Nothing in this price range ($0-$200) provides anything like it for diagnostics. You would need a Tech 2 to get the same coverage. Takes no work to use, and about 20 of the current users say its the most user friendly app they have seen. Data recording and playback are next but I will NOT be announcing any of that here.
                              I guess it's easier to criticize something you can't do rather than say anything constructive.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Leaking front cover
                                by ssms5411
                                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • transamtom1
                                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                by transamtom1
                                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X